The Skeptics’ Guide to Equestria 60 members · 82 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Walabio
Group Admin

At my work, in the break-room, is a loud annoying TV —— ¡we do have Closed captioning, so we do not have to subject everyone to loud annoying audio! In it played the WorldCup. It was night here and day in Moscow. I commented that anyone believing in a flat Earth is an idiot because the Sun is either above or beneath the plane of the Earth; so now, it should be either night everywhere or day everywhere. At this point a Flat-Earther piped-up:

He said that the round Earth is a conspiracy to discredit the bible. Then he demonstrated his grasp of theology and what flat means:

He said that we live on the inner surface of a sphere with an illusory sky. I had to choose between attacking his theology or the inverted sphere. I started with theology:

I pointed out that The bible waffles between disc-shaped plane and a square plane under a firmament t with water on all sides. The sky is real. Then I attacked the inverted sphere:

The ground drops away about a decimeter a kilometer. Since we are in the sphere, the sphere, this should be reversed. If sphere projecting the illusion of the sky is 100 KM above us, the ground should intercept the sphere 1,000 KM away. The the ground should curl upwards because we are inside a sphere, bringing the horizon closer, but the central sphere curving away should cancel this, making the horizon be about 1,000 KM away.

Although we are in a valley, the hills are not vey high. We should be able to see the Pacific Ocean looming over the hills to the west, the Sierra Nevada to the east. The Redwoods to the north. The San=Francisco Bay and its cities to the south, and Sacramento to the South East. Looking straight out horizontally, we should see ground. Scanning from nadir to zenith, we should see ⅔ ground and ⅓ sky. It would look like we live in the bottom of a giant bowl.

He said that he would check his theology and think about it.

I recommend that we watch the Flat-Earth-Debunking videos of Greater Sapien.

Wow, you met one in real life!

Walabio
Group Admin

I sure did. He is a bit fuzzy about theology and the meaning of flat.

I live a few kilometers inland with hills between me and the ocean. If you will excuse me, I shall go outside and look at the ocean visible over the hills and watch the whales and ships on the water.

NachoTheBrony
Group Admin

Religious devotion is the antithesis of critical thinking. It has even been proven scientifically that the brains of people who consider themselves to be religiously devoted have much less activity when confronted with a problem than the brains of atheists. And the reason is obvious: while we look at a problem and try to either find or create a solid answer, they have a hammer - and - nail mentality and jam in their only answer however ill it may fit, or deny that the problem exists in the first place.

Walabio
Group Admin

I do not expect to change his mind. I merely report it here as something interesting in the world of skepticism.

Walabio
Group Admin

Update:

After learning that the bible says that the Earth is a flat disc or square with an hemispherical dome over it, my coworker does not know what to believe. I got him watching the videos of Greater Sapien. If I had to guess, I would guess that my coworker will believe that the Earth is a flat disc or square under a dome because that is what the bible tells him to believe.

I may not have further updates. I have to work with my coworker; so now, I cannot pester him. If he does not come to me, I shall have nothing to report to you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6