Wrestling Fans 37 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

Sometimes I wake up and just really miss listening to old-fashioned, interview-style promos. The kind that were so prevalent in the 70's and 80's. One of the greatest at them was The Macho Man Randy Savage, and I get nostalgic for his particular style of delivery every so often. This morning was one such day.

I could watch these all day.

That "cream of the crop" one is amazing. The undiscussed addition of lame stage magic just carries the whole thing—not that MMRS's aggressive rambling needs any more help.

Prak
Group Admin

Man, those were the days. I'd much rather watch that sort of promo than the 10–20 minute snorefests that are so prevalent now.

4127864 I always thought Scott Steiner was funny in his promos.

"Mr. Big bad booty Daddy's ya hookup. Holla if ya hear me."

4128411 The funny thing is that most of these wrestlers with promos like that are playing sort of a crazy role. I'm pretty sure that Scott Steiner is just actually insane. There's a million backstage stories about that guy flying off the handle.

4128268 It's amazing how great a lot of wrestlers in that era were at promos. I just took it for granted as a child, but when I compare them with modern promos, they really shine. Trying to get wrestlers to memorize a script that isn't anything they came up with just makes for a mediocre product. Most of the modern promos feel canned.

It's really where I have a bone to pick with Vince McMahon and his weird aversion to managers. I'd rather listen to Bobby Heenan spout awesomeness any day than listen to some uncomfortable mid card wrestler with zero verbal charisma struggle through whatever promo the WWE has forced on them.

The last great promo time that I saw was the 1997-2000 time period. Stone Cold, The Rock, Mick Foley, and Kurt Angle. Any combination therein, and it was gold. Add Edge and Christian in there somewhere, too, for added greatness. After that, the writers took over, and it was never very good again.

4128439 now, you can take this with a grain of salt because the internet is the internet, but i promise you this is 100% true.

My mom and dad went to highschool with the stieners, rick asked my mom out to junior prom and my dad was on the wrestling team. I've never met him, but my dad said that Scott was a massive headcase and always threw up before his matches. Other than that, the wrestleing team in general was a bunch of dumbasses back in the day so he told me a bunch of crazy stories.

4128456 I'll just go ahead and believe that. I've never heard of Scott Steiner being anything other than a headcase. I know he ran rampant in mid-nineties WCW because people were literally too afraid of him to discipline him.

Fucking Brad Maddox is just sitting at home making YouTube videos. Give him a job! I swear, I would like Reigns 300% more if he had Maddox speaking for him

4129177 Yeah, it just kills me the amount of money they leave on the table because they have this weird bias against managers. There are lots of great talkers with no in ring ability. There are lots of talented wrestlers that can't talk their way out of a paper bag. For the entire history of pro wrestling, these two groups of people have been put together for mutual benefit, but now, heaven forbid we have anything more than a fucking valet out there...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10