The Berylverse 180 members · 33 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Yeah.
I wish to ask because not all series are meant to be read according to the chronology inside the series itself. For example, the Foundation series, by Issac Asimov, is meant to be read in publishing order, which is 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1, 2. Furthermore, books 1 and 2 are incomprehensible unless you have previously read the Robot series (The Caves of Steel, The Naked sun, The Robots at Dawn, Robots and Empire).

So, reading order for this series, please.
:duck:

Comment posted by Bryceeden deleted Dec 18th, 2014

I think it is harry problem, harry problem 2, three sun rises, seven days 1, seven days 2, seven days 3. The others are side stories I believe.

3897242 What Bryceeden said. The Chronological order as I understand it is HP1, HP2, Three Sunrises, 7DSJ1, Treasure, 7DSJ2, Mother's Duty, 7DSJ3. You can read them mostly in that order, but I read Book I before ever touching A Hairy Problem, and you can read Treasure whenever you want since it's more of an interquel set in the winter season of Book I.

BlueBastard
Group Admin

Official Chronology:

- A Hairy Problem
- Rise of the Furball
- Three Sunrises
- 7DSJ Book 1
- 7DSJ Treasure (Takes place during Book 1)
- 7DSJ Book 2*
- 7DSJ Mother's Duty (Takes place immediately after Book 2)
- 7DSJ Book 3

I'll go ahead and toss this up later, but generally, as long you've read Hairy Problem/Furball and all the 7DSJ stuff that chronologically happens before the end of Book 1 by the time you start Book 2, you should be in good shape.

There's seven Foundation books? I only ever read four - the immediate period before the creation of the Foundation, the book where that vault gets opened for the first time, the book involving the midget guy and then the dudes at the opposite end of the circle (if you read the book you know what I mean), and then the last one with the search for Old Earth and "happy walls." I don't know the publishing order, nor did I read any of the books focused on the robots (given the only time I remember them coming up, everything relevant gets expressed through subtle exposition anyway), but the story made sense to me.

There's seven Foundation books?

In internal chronological order, they are:
1. Prelude to the Foundation
2. Forward The Foundation
3. Foundation
4. Foundation And Empire
5. Second Foundation
6. Foundation's Edge
7. Foundation and Earth
Reading order is: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1, 2.

The Robots are:
A. I, Robot
B. Robot Dreams
C. Robot Visions
D. The Caves of Steel
E. The Naked Sun
F. The Robots of Dawn

And finally, If you want to read both series in their unified chronological order, you read:
A
B
C
D
E
F
Robots and Empire
A Pebble in the Sky

And then you can also read "Nemesis" and "The End of Eternity", one for a way for humanity to form the Empire without robot intervention, and the other for how our disappointing world can turn into the more dynamic Earth depicted in "I, Robot".

Remember we are talking about Asimov. Isaac Marathon-Man Asimov.

And thanks for the chronology, too.

BlueBastard
Group Admin

Oh, wow, that's...actually fortunate you tell me this. It seems I have read the Foundation books in order, but only up to the end of "Foundation's Edge" because the box set my dad lent me only had the first four books :rainbowlaugh: Well, at least I know what to check out from the public library next to read, since as much of a nice ending that Edge provided, I wouldn't mind revisiting that universe.

So long as I, Robot isn't anything like that shitty film of the same name.

That movie isn't even based at allon any work by Asimov: is a completely anti-asimovian robot story that later 20th Century Fox "adapted" into asimovian by means of buying the "I, Robot" movie rights and adding a few name-drops that Asimovian fans would pick up (Lanning and Robertson were alright, but Susan Calvin was supposed to be an old hag and an absolute genius, not some blonde intern). And VIKIā€¦ lets just remember that Dr Asimov ABHORRED the genre of 'robot uprisings' that was so popular when he begun writing.

By the way, I misquoted Asimov's nickname: it was "The Human Typewriter", not Marathon-Man. Well deserved, if we remember that he would sometimes wake up inspired and then have a new book by bed time.

I can tell you this, it's ABSOLUTELY OK to read 7DSJ book I before any of the Hairy Problems if you want, in book II will be an issue if you don't. The side stories however, I think the first book is mandatory before reading those

I think that, if you wanted to be super chronological, then you wanna start reading 'Treasure' after either December 14 or December 21 of 7DSJ1. I'm unsure on which one specifically (these fics are due a reread) but we should find out the same time Shinzakura posts the Sunset chapter of Treasure. Hopefully.

Shinzakura
Group Admin

Treasure takes place between December 19 - January 2, with the first five chapters happening around Christmas and the last five chapters happening around New Year's.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11