Harmonists' Archive 346 members · 1,249 stories
Comments ( 45 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 45

Hello, ladies and guys.

It has come to my attention that the forums seemed to lack good talks about Video Games. Whilst I'm sure not everyone here is a big player, or even a player at all (even though THAT assumption is highly unlikely), I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where we could take about it more deeply.

Be it ideas for games, or recommendations, or even talks about content, goals, soon to be released games, and so on, I don't think there is anything wrong with talking about it.

I know this is kind of sudden, but I've never been good at turning things in such a way there are not forced on your face.

Well, I shall start this.

Personally, my favorite serie of all time is Monster Hunter. It's not a very common series in most playah circles, but it would really benefit from such.

The game is officially labeled as a Hunting Action Game, but it's more around the line of Action-RPG, although there isn't any kind of level system or actual role-playing.

When you start, you're immerged into a world inhabited by a myriad of creatures. Some look like beasts, some look like Dragons, some look like...things. Seriously, have you seen a Baruragaru ? That thing looks like nothing.

Your job is to hunt those animals. Protect the humans and the various other races that inhabit this world ( Wyverians, Sea People, Desert People, Felynes...)

Once your prey is dead, you will carve parts of it and use those to craft more powerful weapons and armor. Those will be used to hunt even larger monsters, and so on, in a neverending cycle.

The great strengths of the game : a whole load of different weapons with varied movements. Each of them has a different meta concerning armours and tactics.

A ton of preys. The AI is quite impressive, and two hunts are never the same.

To be honest, it's hard to describe. It's best to look for videos about it and see if you'd like it. It's high paced, it's hard as nails, but it's so good.

Be wary, it's not very welcoming for newbies. You'll probably suffer for a long time before getting anywhere. Thankfully, the last of the franchise, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, has extensive tutorials and ingame manuals to help you understand what the hell is going on.

On those words, I finish the first part of this thread. Don't hesitate to ask questions about that wonderful series, and of course, talk about yours in here, or anything else related to it.

...I like the Sly Cooper Series

I freaking love Kingdom Hearts, despite how stupid and convoluted the story can be.

DH7

It has come to my attention that the forums seemed to lack good talks about Video Games

There are actually multiple gaming forums here on Fimfiction.

I've probably been a gamer for about twenty-five years. I'm not sure. I started with my stepbrother's NES and 2d side-scrollers on my father's computer. It didn't become a massive obsession for me until the PlayStation came out.

I freaking love Kingdom Hearts, despite how stupid and convoluted the story can be.

I'll see your Kingdom Hearts and raise you a Metal Gear Solid II.

I actually don't see anything wrong with KHII's story at all for the demographic it's aimed at, but I've only played up to KHII. It might have gotten more convoluted with the DS/PSP games.

I've never played it, how are those games ?

I tried the PSP one (Birth by Sleep, I think ?). I didn't enjoy it, but I can see why people like it.

I recently watched a playthrough with all cinematics of MGS IV. God, it was good. Makes me wanna try those games. Are they hard to get into ?

4303275 they are fun games Playstation Classics if I remember they calling the series

Ok first off, Monster Hunter is fucking fabulous. Friend got me into it few months back and never turned back. Second, I've been gaming since I was atleast 4 or 5 years old. Favorite game of mine would have to be Super Mario 64, and I agree with 4303254. Metal Gear Solid II is convulted as fuck.

I should probably try getting into those.

A fellow hunter ! What's your favorite weapon ?

Shut the fuck and play Dark Souls with me you faggot!

4303330 Hammer, Longsword, Switch axe, Great sword, Bowgun. But most especially the Hammer. I love using that thing.
4303331 Quiet you:trixieshiftleft:

Burt Derk Sulz!!11
Unless you wanna TLoU or GTA

4303351 Dark Souls is bad for my health. Maybe GTA later.

It's the magic of death. I've never got into those games...they just seem off and clunky. I should try again sometimes.

I basically use everything except Hunting Horn because I need to learn it. How're you like the last MH on 3ds ?

But they're so fun!
Plus I love flashy armor

You'd love Monster Hunter then...or Gundam Warriors :moustache:

4303386 I never played MH4 Ultimate on the 3DS. I only played MH3 Ultimate.

WOOT :twilightoops:

I thouroughly recommend it. It's the second best in the Franchise IMO !

4303439 I know:raritydespair: I plan to eventually when I get my 3ds, my old one broke.

DH7

It really depends on what you consider 'hard to get into'. Back in the day, Metal Gear Solid was the finest example of both story-telling and presentation. Today, the scripting and even the voice acting is dated, but that's still true in Metal Gear Solid. It does not have the same level of polish in that regard as something like The Last of Us, but that's also a very high bar to try to reach.

There are some really dramatic moments, and then there are moments that will make you cringe, like Meryl telling a sob-story about her childhood, or just about any time someone cries. A lot of stuff in MGS is highly quotable, and both David Hayter and Cam Clarke give exceptional performance, especially for the time, but there are also quite a few awkward, weird, and soap-boxy moments in MGS.

Every single game has long-as-shit cutscenes, so if long cutscenes in games annoy you, I'd have to warn you, this is probably not only one of the biggest offenders, but probably the game series that really set that trend.

The game-play takes some getting used to, and at first, I didn't like it. I didn't like it because they don't give you a guy in the beginning, and I was in 'kill everything that moves' mode. You can break people's necks without weapons, but you have to stop and press square repeatedly in order to do so (doing this while running will throw an enemy) and that's not particularly easy to do when your target is moving. Once you get the hang of it though, it's still a heck of a lot of fun to play.

MGS in particular, is mostly a top-down view. Your radar is essential when it comes to knowing where enemies are around you and how far their vision extends (for some reason, they can't see past five or six feet in front of them) and you'll probably find yourself staring at that more than anything else while You're running around. You get past cameras by walking under their blind spot, or by using chaff grenades (which also temporarily takes out your radar)

We've got better controls and more realistic/complex movements today, but the gameplay is still fun and addictive ones you get over how different it is than pretty much any other third-person action game. There aren't as many gadgets as there are in something like Splinter Cell, but you've got a well-rounded array of weapons and items (including cigarettes, oddly enough) and it could be a heck of a lot of fun to troll the genome soldiers with the remote-controlled missile launcher, or by setting up C4 at each urinal.

The bosses in the first game are my favorite out of the entire series, or any series, for that matter.

Gone Home > every other game ever

I love good Cutscenes, so it's not gonna be a problem to me. As I said, I watched the 7H long all Cutscenes MGSIV movie, and it was so much fun. I loved it. I'm gonna try and get into those, even though I'm not an infiltration fan.

And I see those soap moments, especially in MGS Sneak Eater. It's so dated compared to MGSIV on a lot of points, but it was still enjoyable. I'm excited for the V one, actually.

DH7

I still have yet to actually finish Snake Eater. ><

At the time, I was still pissed off that they switched the main character in MGS2, and when MGS3 came out, I wanted to play as Solid Snake again, not a prequel where you play as the antagonist of the NES games.

4303801 Are you excited for MGS5?

From what I've seen of the Nes game, they look awful. No offence, I haven't played them, so do tell if they are better, but from what I've seen, it's really...well, old.

DH7

Yes and no. I was specifically interested in following Solid Snake's part of the story, and now that's over and done with, I'm not quite as rabidly eager for the rest of the series. I'm anticipating it, but not as much as I did MGS4.

from what I've seen, it's really...well, old.

Well no shit, it's the NES, lol. I've got nostalgia to keep me interested in NES games, and even then, I'm not as interested in them as I used to be. However, my brother and a friend have developed an obsession with trying to beat Ninja Gaiden.

I'm probably going to play the old 80's games just for the sack of completing the series, but I don't expect to enjoy them as much as I do the other games. There are also two versions of the games, and we apparently got the heavily altered, so-hard-it's-bad versions. One of the HD collections includes both MSX (the original) versions of those games.

Been there done that :moustache:

Ask Haphazerd. We played so much Arma together. Lols were given and siliness levels were off the charts. Ah, Invistroopers....

4303120 Magic stones, hot women, insane mental breakdowns, logic puzzles and a crapload of OBJECTIONS! You all know what I'm talking about...:ajsmug:

"In the near future, courts of law go super fast.
There's no jury just a judge.
Gotta win in three days max!"

I don't see what hot womens have to do with this, but I've known about that serie for a long time. And I STILL haven't tried it. I should probably try and spare money. It never usually works but heyho, you never know.

I meant old as in they don't look comfortable to play with. There are some old games, like Metroid, or Sonic, that are more of timeless classic, as in people can still play them and find them modern. It's complicated, er...I mean, it doesn't get old. I never played the first MGS on NES, but it seems very dated.

DH7

heh, I used to play the fuck out of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as a kid, still haven't beat it.

4304378 You can get the first two cases free on the IOS version.

Can't wait for the movie to come out.
Yeah, the story is weird but it never is a dull moment as you play.
Where you been at DH7?
I'm starting to feel the gaming community is sadly going downhill. They're selling us half finished games at times and offer us a lot of dlc to compensate. Then there is the whole console war which I don't dare take part in. The only thing I see coming out of that is they'll shut down gamestop soon because of it.

4305051 THERE'S A SLY MOVIE COMING OUT!? :pinkiegasp:

4303165 Who doesn't love Kingdom Hearts?

4305220 Amen. Started playing it back when I was little...good times.

4305237 OMG! The guy who's playing Sly is Sweetie Belle's voice's father! :pinkiegasp:

I think I heard about those. Aren't they a super famous team ?

Sonic I....took me ages. I had to let the console run for a whole afternoon to finally beat it cauze it didn't have saves...already waisting electricity :rainbowlaugh:

I'm actually interested into it. Did they say more about the story ? Is it gonna be a reboot or something ?

And yeah, I agree. Unity was a mess, even though I love this game. I hope that changes soon....The Witcher 3 will show the example, perhaps ?

Sounds like a whole lot of memes and habits in what you just said. I'll check it out. Sounds like fun.

4304914 Took me forever, but I did eventually beat Sonic 2 at around 10 years old. The real bitch was the final boss. I could spend so many fucking continues just trying to get him. Probably the most exacting and difficult boss battle in the original Sonic games. Most fun belongs to S3&K's Doomsday Zone.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 45