Weird Ideas Done Seriously 225 members · 562 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
The SideKick
Group Admin

Hey guys, I figured I'd get the first topic thread out there for ya'll with a general question. If you start to lose your motivation for your hobbys then how do you personally build it back up?

3868017 I would say, start small. Don't try to get back on the wagon exactly where you left off. Presumably, you're rusty so it's best to start too easy and build up steam or start too hard and fail completely.

In my case, I used to play a lot of Magic The Gathering until school and college applications pushed it to the back-burner. Starting again, I'm trying to make completely new decks, without eyeing the ones I made a while ago when I was an expert. I'm trying to work everything out again, playing with some friends before going back to FNMs and getting some idea of what went on in the sets I missed.

Additionally, if there's something else you associate with the hobby like a particular song or table or something, then sitting at that table or listening to the song will help you get back in the mood for it.

The SideKick
Group Admin

3868094 For me it's writing. I love working on my stories here and improving upon myself as a writer, but I've noticed something that prompted the me to make this thread. I use to have to work out of my local library because my computer had pooped out, and whenever I got on I would be going a mile a minuet for the two hours they gave me each day. But now that I have my new computer and all the time in the world it feels so much harder to get on and do anything. When I start I get a decent bit done, but I just can't seem to start without a lot of forcing on my part.

3868111 I used to write my stories on the computer and I found it terrible for concentration. When I'm at the computer, I have access to everything on the computer and usually on the internet as well. For a procrastinator such as myself, it's nearly impossible to write like that.

Now I write almost all of my stories on my phone. I have it on me nearly all the time and whenever I'm in line somewhere, or sitting, or walking around, I can write on it. I also have several stories on there so if I don't feel like writing one, I can work on another.

The SideKick
Group Admin

While I don't have a smart phon, I think I get the idea. The computer gives me way to many distractions to mess with. I'll see hat I can do, thanks for the talk:pinkiesmile:

3868017 I work by priorities. I can't transition to priority 2 hobby if my priority 1 task isn't yet done. I may not play video games or watch movies until all my stories are written.

It's been more than a year now. I miss fun. I need to write more so I may once again be allowed to enjoy myself. Someday ...

The SideKick
Group Admin

3868128 Ponies will do that to you.

3868131 They hijacked my life.

Eh I know the feels. So let me start from the beginning. I had just finished middle school and it had been my third year playing in band. Back then it wasn't really a passion just something I did. When I started highschool I met my band teacher. A really cool dude in fact. I'd go as far to say he'd be my role model. So he inspired me to take band more seriously and become a better musician and Saxophone player.

I had started to get a passion for music and craved it like no other. I even took an intro to AP music theory. But her'in lies the problem. He had to resign from his job because he had to be a caretaker for his sister who I believe has mental issue's. Now I'm in junior year of highschool and I feel like shit. And can't even play anymore. I look around and I still love playing but it isn't the same. It's kinda like the passion to play has died and it sucks. I'm trying to figure out how to feel better and get better, but it's fucking hard and I need motivation the that the previous teacher seemed to of provided. It doesn't help that after he left they dropped AP music theory.

I don't know any advice out there

The SideKick
Group Admin

3869216 I obviously can't say myself why it is we lose that deep drive to do what we love from time to time, but Let me tell you that I'm never going to stop doing it. I know it might seem like time to hang it up when you just don't feel like doing it anymore, but for me there's more of a social aspect to it all. When I write something I don't just stuff it in a folder and move on 'cuz I don't want others trying to change, I like to show it off and hear what others think. While it still isn't perfect my grammar and spelling has improved since I'v started posting to FimFiction and just all around feel good when what I do get's genuinely good feedback. I don't know how you feel about involving others in something that's yours, but for me it's another part of the experience that I love. So while I might not have the motivation out right, I still enjoy writing when I do it and keep making myself do to because it's only making me a better person, slow but surely. But hey, that's just my feelings towards it.

3869391 So your advice is to force yourself to get up and go and do the thing you love? Even if you lost the feel to do so. Like I understand why I should go ahead and play music. I understand that feed back is great (completely love to almost gloat when I pull something cool off). But it just kinda seems so hard to get started again. Like it's almost why bother

It sucks feeling this way and the question I face everytime I start playing.

3868135 Your name makes me laugh everytime is see it. BadDragon(.)com man haha

The SideKick
Group Admin

It's less advice and more how I do it. I love writing when I can make myself sit down and do it, it's making myself do it that's hard. I just don't feel like sitting down and doing it. If I had any real advice I would give it, but I don't, therefor this thread exist. I was just putting my two cents out there for you do do with as you please.

3869450 There's a story behind my name. There used to be ads for Bad Dragon on this site. They caused a bit of a stir among some of the members and they were calling for their removal. The ads were defenseless and they weren't harming anypony. I took it upon me to defend them against self-righteous bullies. I even formed a group for that cause: Bring back Bad Dragon ads.

The SideKick
Group Admin

3869915 I'm not gonna lie and say that I get that, but like you said it's not hurting anyone (as far as I know) and I'm obviously one for celebrating the strange, so enjoy bringing back ads for site that sells fake yet accurate male dragon organs.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15