Stories that get little attention 374 members · 1,988 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

Say if no one likes your stories

Together we can stand up to hate

3665050 In all honesty, brutal honesty, some writers need the focus rather than the haters. Understand the difference between hate and criticism and you may avoid such high dislikes. I have seen a few stories rack up the dislikes because the writer wants people to be nice and rails on people when criticism is given. Plus there are trolls who seek out high dislike counts for who-knows-what reason.

megkit
Group Admin

Yea...... My first story, 'a new life', failed so miserably, my Luna...... It sucked so badthat everyone that read it, disliked it and said a bunch of negativity about it. But then, I kept writing in an effort to get better reactions. It worked. Especially after I changed my username. My Luna did the followers and likes sky rocket. Not high enough to become popular, but just enough to make me proud of myself, but however, it got old, now my number three goal in life right now is to get to the front page.

Right now, my number one goal is to win the major, five thousand dollar art contest on deviantart.

Just wish I knew how to do realism.

3665118 But to be fair I would like to point out that some people just like to down vote without even reading the story, without leaving any feedback for the reader.

3665050 What is your story about? Sometimes people dislike just because a story has the dark tab or is a clopfic (for the record I don't down vote clopfics but I don't read them either).

3676512 Well, I do admit it would be nice to have a popular story but I suppose it would be best to just keep writing and hope.

It's not that nobody likes my stories, it's just that nobody likes me.

'Cos I'm an asshole and a lemon.

3689923 Well, you don't have to be an a**hole and there is nothing wrong with being a lemon. Personally I love lemons. They go great in just about drink.

But to get back on topic it can be really disheartening when people leave you with dislikes on your story and don't explain why. I had the same issue with a new story I started writing called, Thorn of the Earth.

I don't mean to be. I just joke around a lot, and people don't exactly get my 'refined' sense of humour. But hey, I'm a goof. It's my thing, ya'know?
The most recent story I uploaded on the site got loads of dislikes and yet nobody really gave me any criticism. That said, I don't really care all that much about the like/dislike ratio.

3689912 But I don't think that would normally result in an excessive number of dislikes. Most people will simply leave if the story is something they dislike or even hate.

For first time writers, I have seen alicorn OC stories be the ones rack up the dislikes and it is not only because of the Mary Sue/Gary Stu alicorn but the poor writing that makes adds to why it racks up the "hate."

But because a story contains something that people generally don't like, that is only one thing and will only gather so many dislikes. The title of the thread is exaggeration if ever if seen but what I have seen that hurts new writers the most is having a very poorly written story and not taking criticism well. As long as a new writer can take criticism, they can avoid receiving massive amounts of dislikes. Knowing a bit about characterization, plot, and story flow before posting your first story will help as well.

3665050 First story I did, I got rid of completely. Gone, out of this site.
Here comes the part people might get after me, I resubmitted it, but a completely new version of it. Rewritten and made better than ever. 40-14

For first time writers, I have seen alicorn OC stories be the ones rack up the dislikes and it is not only because of the Mary Sue/Gary Stu alicorn but the poor writing that makes adds to why it racks up the "hate."

Mine's not even out yet, not sue to what it might have to deal with, but I'm waiting till maybe around the end of the month. When I was new here, no one really seemed to like me. Very few still do, but over the month's my stories have gotten better, and I will not take full credit. FamousLastWords, Follow Focus, and others have helped me along.

My first writing didn't get much likes, first time writing, after all. It's gone now. Now for my second one, its up and updating, but it has likes with dislikes almost equal. That's discouraging, to be honest.

For my third story, it's currently my newest work out here, and I am testing my waters for comedy. So far, no dislikes so I'm more inclined to finish that one. I can only hope that it gets more views and become popular, but that's also a scary thought, because if it does, I have to keep working on it, even if I don't have the next chapters ready.

One way to try to increase your likes is to add your stories to groups that might enjoy your story. If your story is a comedy join a comedy group and put your story there. If your story is dark find a dark group to add it in.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13