Sonata Dusk 1,429 members · 640 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30

Why in the heck some of yours think that only she should get an redemption?! Technically it is only 33% of work. And considering that it would be easier than Aria and especially Adagio it even less than third part! You are saying "I see only Sonata redeemable". Well, in that case you should at least think of possibilities with her sisters and not just about "how cute, and silly and mi-mi-mi your ""waify" is (I hope last phrase was rude but not rude enough to actually offend you)

I think because people see Sonata as "easily manipulated". but I'd agrue that she'd always stick by adagio's and Aria's side. i also think people see Adagio and Aria as very stubborn and set on their goals of gaining power. I'd say if one were to try they either all redeem or none of them do.

4468900 or it could be like a Tirek and Scorpan scenario

4468980 It very well could. i was just adding in my 2 cents.

4468991 ye, I understand, I'm not one against all 3 being reformed as long as its done well, it just I more for just Sonata, the idea of someone who's in a situation were they are torn between friend you've been with a large majority of your life and friends who show you true sympathy and are willing to accept you for who you are is a good story opportunity and could give real growth for all involved

4469023 That would make for a compelling story and one that would actually kinda work with Sonata's character. but I'd be a tall order to write in a way that makes both options seem equally right to her.

Well, it's not because we love her (though we do). We just tend to see her as having less "evil" characteristics as opposed to her friends/sisters. Aria could be fun, as would Adagio, it's just that we don't focus on them as much.

Cryosite
Group Admin

I can only really speak for myself, but my attempt to answer your question would be thus:

I personally like Sonata more than the other two. I would be interested in reading a story that is about Sonata and doesn't focus on the other two. I'd even still be interested in such a story if it completely ignores the other two. I don't feel like they absolutely must remain a complete set, and if you focus on one character you get more room for depth and detail. So as long as the other two are handled in some way that believably convinces me that they don't need to all be in the story (a task which has a rather low bar) then I'm content.

Note, I am not opposed to reading stories in which the focus is on the three, or on Aria or Adagio, or some pairing of two of the three. It's sort of like pizza. I like lots of kinds of pizza. I just happen to have a particular set of toppings I like the most. But even if it is not that set of toppings, hey. Pizza. Awesome.

As for others, I may be wrong, but I get the sense that Sonata is the most popular of the three, so I assume some of my preferences are not unique to me. It does seem like a lot of writers have independently (or influenced by each other) decided that the setup of Sonata being shunned by the other two is an idea they want to write about and use to isolate Sonata for their story. It has been done badly, and perhaps is at this point an overdone trope as well, but theoretically it could be a trope in a good story.

In the end, I want to see good characterization for all the characters in any story I read. So it isn't unusual that I want to see good characterization for Sonata Dusk.

4469223 I'm talking not even about stories, I'm talking about head canons. I saw some super weird comments, where people make Sonata better than she actually is by making others two worse than they actually is. That is just rude.

Cryosite
Group Admin

Well, you have to realize there are a lot of people with problems working out complicated concepts.

Most of them have a hard time understanding how they're being offensive or shallow.

I personally like when all 3 are redemed. I admit Sonata is my favorite MLP characters but Aria and Adagio fall in 2nd and 3rd. Many people have their own head canon's including me about them. Heck mine is infact that they are infact corrupted Flutterponies turned into the sirens. I say this mayly based on their pony forms showed on their box

4468876 It's pretty simple to see why Sonata's the most redeemable; Adagio did all the scheming, and Aria's just rude. Sonata should get punished, I don't doubt that, any judge would say she was complicit and aware, but if we're talking about who's got the best chance of being good and doing something positive with their life, Sonata's the clear choice.

4470648 Sonata was just as evil and willing as the others. She may not have been as bright or in charge, but she got enjoyment out of forcing people to fight and actually relished the thought of controlling them and regaining he powers. Just watch her expressions throughout the scenes where she's actually doing the crimes, and you'll see that she enjoys it.

She strikes me as being kind of like a young child who commits cruel acts because she doesn't understand the full weight of her actions more than anything else. Some characters are cruel because they derive pleasure from it (Adagio); others because they don't care (Aria), and still others because they simply don't know any better (Sonata). From that perspective, I can see why people might feel Sonata is 'most deserving' of redemption.

Personally I think it should depend on what kind of story you're trying to write, and certainly Sunset and the others would be likely to offer them all a chance at redemption if it came down to it (I mean really, how much 'evil' have they actually done? They made everyone at CHS cranky for a couple of days. Sunset Shimmer spent years wrecking people's lives and now she's the New Hotness, :moustache:).

Not that I don't agree that Sonni very much enjoys being a Siren, but I find it strange that people want to use about 4.5 seconds of total screentime where Sonata has 'evil face' to offset the whole rest of the movie where she grins like a doofball or stares straight ahead vapidly, :derpytongue2:

4470882 Actions speak louder than attitudes. Sonata and her sisters were implied to have started wars for crying out loud. I don't care whether you're doing it for out of stupidity, ignorance or just because you enjoy it, she was causing harm to ponies and people, and no amount of goofballness is going to convince me that she didn't know any better. She was not manipulated, forced or in any way unwilling. She agreed to her sister's plan and was perfectly happy to carry it out. She effectively said 'screw it, my powers are more important than them.' And stupidity and evilness are not mutually exclusive. Also, the amount of screentime where she looks evil is actually more than 4.5 seconds. She looks evil for all of her songs, and that probably amounts to more than the time where she was standing there vapid.

There's that dangerous word, 'implied'... :raritywink:

She effectively said 'screw it, my powers are more important than them.'

This assumes that she stopped to consider 'them' in the first place. Part of the reason a child might act cruelly toward say, an animal, is because they don't understand that their actions are actually causing the animal harm or even discomfort. If there is a true lack of empathy, the thought process isn't 'screw them, I'm more important', it's 'this is fun!'. 'Them' doesn't even factor in to the equation. Lots of kids go through phases like this growing up, and fortunately most grow out of it. Despite whatever headcanon people form about the Sirens' pasts, it doesn't discount that fact that, in the film, Sonata is portrayed as having more or less the mind of a child.

Still, I already said I think Sonata enjoys doing what she does just as much as her fellow Sirens... I guess I'm just less inclined to casually throw a label like 'evil' on them and call it a day, :applejackunsure:

4471164 Fair enough. I'm not so much into throwing the evil tag on someone either, I just think that she's shown herself to be evil, at least in my mind. But, then again, we're mainly in headcanon territory here, so to each his own. Thanks for explaining your thoughts.

If they lawyer up, they could probably get off without any criminal charges. "The burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove that my clients used magical artifacts to manipulate people. unfortunately for them, the potentially corroborating evidence was destroyed. All my clients did was sing a song in the cafeteria, and make a suggestion to Principal Celestia about the music festival. Miss Lulamoon claims she wasn't herself when she sabotagedthe Rainbooms but in the past, she's had problems sharing the spotlight.

While my clients were performing, the seven girls responsible for these accusations, heckled them with help from the music store clerk. My clients are very regretful for their crimes in Equestria, and are continuing to serve out their punishment of exile without resistance. The defense rests."

Cryosite
Group Admin

At first glance, this appears to be something insightful and creatively thought out and written.

But then I realize, you're completely missing the point. This thread is not a discussion so much on the legal/criminal behavior of the Dazzlings. It is a discussion about their redemption.

Whether they committed crimes or even hurt anyone is irrelevant. The conflict is that they are not friends. They had intent to harm others and took away the free agency of others. It matters not what they intended to do with that, it matters that they were spreading discord instead of harmony. The concept of redemption is taking the antagonist, and bringing them over to the side of the protagonist. Of taking the villain and turning them into a hero.

The fact that a court system could not convict them matters not a whit. We saw them and what they did and understand it. We, in a hypothetical fanfic, might see them redeemed. The thread's topic is why this happens for Sonata more often than the others, and why it often happens at the expense of the other two.

(shrugs) At first this was me, but then Aria started to grow on me, and now it's 2 out of 3 I see as potentially redeemable (I guess Adagio COULD work too, it just might be a bit harder.)
I'm more or less on board with what you said about her, in that Sonata seems very childlike. Whether that makes her a Psychopathic Womanchild or simply Ambiguously Innocent (for me it's somewhere in the middle) I guess depends on one's personal headcanons about the Sirens' true natures.

And I need to stop using Tv Tropes lingo. :facehoof:

Right now in my own story I am trying to take into account those 4.5+ seconds of meanness and cruelty (Am I the only one who finds those parts hard to watch, especially considering how adorable she looks the rest of the movie?) while still trying to keep her likeable/potentially redeemable. :raritywink: As well as sympathetic (While they DO commit quite a few crimes, all 3 of them have some degree of possible sympathy. As children, anyways. :pinkiecrazy:).

Lord help me. :twilightoops:

4471164 what you're saying is "not evil, just blissfully ignorant" when a child kill a fly dose it know it's wrong if it did so to another being

Sonata is just way more adorable than her peers. It's survival of the cutest and the cutest is Sonata Dusk.

See? This is not a smart way to think about it, an it's the worst thing in community

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking a cartoon character based on how they look.

I'm talking not about liking.

I actually agree that Sonata comes across as the most redeemable siren. However, as a plot it's a little cliché — it's been done so many times; do we really need another Sonata redemption fic? Reforming the others would make for a more interesting story.

It's kind of like all the fics that reform Silver Spoon and keep Diamond Tiara as a bully.

(How dare they?! Diamond Tiara is best tiara!)

Well, if you like someone then you'd be more likely to want them redeemed or whatever.

4525464 But if you like them, shouldn't you accept them for who they are? :twilightsheepish:

I dunno if that still applies to people who being blatantly evil. I mean, Sonata could still be herself without sowing chaos and whatnot.

4525467 4525492 I think both of you are making good points here, but I do have give it to Epsilon. Sonata is the most able to be herself without causing trouble. However we should also note that Aria is just largely moody, in real terms the one who actually caused the trouble was Adagio. And as a result she would be the hardest to redeem.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30