Nonpareil Fiction 286 members · 273 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
PaulAsaran
Site Blogger

As promised some time ago, here's my own take on Nightmare Night stories, just as an example. Harsh criticism is very welcome.

Sweet to Eat: Tales of Nightmare Night

Ah, Nightmare Night. A holiday where happy little foals get to dress up as pirates and witches and whatever else tickles their fancy while roaming around getting delectable candies. The kids have fun, the adults think it's cute.

Yet under the giggles and playful cries... there are screams. The stories told to amuse the kids aren't all made up, the monsters they pretend to be don't live only in the imagination, and not everyone is out for the same kind of 'fun.' Dark things creep in Equestria's unnoticed corners, and Nightmare Night is their time to play. Tonight we shall watch them at their games. These are the tales of Nightmare Night that parents don't share with their children.

And now I'd like to ask: what stories do you think make for good Nightmare Night reading?

Harsh criticism is very welcome.

I'm gonna tell you how fat you are. :ajsmug:

what stories do you think make for good Nightmare Night reading?

Oh, whoops! I didn't notice the question, sorry. :twilightsheepish:

I think Luna/Nightmare Moon stories are the best. :rainbowkiss:

And now I'd like to ask: what stories do you think make for good Nightmare Night reading?

Well, I'm admittedly a bit of a wimp, :twilightsheepish: so I prefer lighthearted prank comedies such as this one.

PaulAsaran
Site Blogger

I'm gonna tell you how fat you are.

Good thing I'm not, or that might actually affect me. :trollestia:

I think Luna/Nightmare Moon stories are the best.

Really? I dunno, sounds too easy to me. I mean there's potential there, but if I'm gonna read a Nightmare Night story, it needs to be scary, and Luna tends to not be very scary in my mind. She can be if portrayed properly, but it seems people have difficulty with that.

I'm holding off on reading that one, particularly because my RiL is already too long and I want to be more picky about what I read. also: comedy is my mortal literary enemy. I can't write it to save my life.

3753912 That monster under the bed on your picture is scary. Even more so, with the one above being oblivious to the horrors hiding right beneath her.

That's all highly dependent on the author's skill. :twilightsmile: I have found on many occasions that making all-encompassing statements, like, "Luna isn't scary," to be proven wrong in the han--er, hooves of the right author.

Search for long enough, and you'll find what you were hoping for. :derpytongue2:

PaulAsaran
Site Blogger

IKR?

Did I say Luna can't be scary? Let me repeat:

She can be if portrayed properly, but it seems people have difficulty with that.

Yes, I understand. :twilightsheepish: Sorry, I guess I came across as a condescending douche. I didn't mean to, I apologize.

We are agreed that Luna is typically portrayed as not scary, but can be scary if portrayed by a competent author, then. :raritywink:

Also, this is kind of relevant.

PaulAsaran
Site Blogger

I must have a communication problem. So many times people think I'm telling them they're assholes when that was never my intention. :applejackunsure:

Having read tons of scary short stories, I can safely say I've not heard of a single one of those. Now I want to know more.

You're adorbz. :twist:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12