Robin Williams 112 members · 9 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

The majority of people in our ranks cite the genie as our favorite role of Mr williams. But why? I have an Idea as to why this is BESIDES the fact that he played the role well.

Nostalgic value: now, I hate nostalgia because it is almost unexplainable and hard to express to others who don't feel the same(think of it as us trying to explain to an 8 year old why N64 Goldeneye was the best shooter ever). But I think this can be explained. For many of us, we were kids when Aladdin came out, and this we were the target demographic. We were the aim and also the goal of the film, so it would make sense for us to remember it so fondly. It would be like watching frozen or Tangled back in the day, its a good movie as we watch it as adults, but if we were kids then it would be a masterpiece.

Energy: Robin Williams' greatest asset in his comedy is his energy, he was known to be lighthearted and fun, thus when we were watching it as kids, we were able to sit through the story of Aladdin and watch as Robin Williams was able to keep up with our hyper kid energy.

The shock of it: now, as a kid we loved Aladdin and the genie, but at the same time as we got older and began to recognize actors and voices, we begin to see that Robin Williams to able to do all sorts of impressive and acclaimed roles, from hook to Mrs doubtfire, One hour Photo to Good Will Hunting and Mork and Mindy. The fact that he can do all of these roles make us subconsciously add all sorts of astonishing value to his role as the Genie.

The body: this is what I think is the most important reason why people loved the Genie. Robin williams i known for his energy, its the most important asset to his comedy routines and how he can take an anthill and make a mountain out of it. But, the thing is, though, is that Robin Williams is just a man, his body is always left behind as his mind soars on, its what limits many of his other roles. But, with annimation, he has no body, he is a voice giving life to a character, and since he is not limited by his physical stature he can go faster and be more than what he could have ever been in reality. Completing the immersion between a character and its (voice) actor.

So, does anyone else have any ideas?

Darth Redbeard
Group Admin

3574223 I think it's just because that is the one many of us grew up with.

Maybe this video will help

3574254 Truer words were never spoken.

DH7
Group Admin

Nostalgia is a very, very powerful force, and it is a liar, but I don't think nostalgia plays that large of a role in my admiration for the character. One of William's greatest talents was his impersonations. The character really gave him full reign on that, as well as his more outlandish comedy style.

Anyway, you're going to hate me for saying this, but I kind of hate Goldeneye, and I always have. I loved Doom and Wolf3D, but I didn't start liking FPS games again until Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, and Halo came out.

Deus Ex was far better on the PC, and that's coming from a console gamer. The loading screens on the PS2 were infuriating . . . not enough to keep me from playing and enjoying it, but enough that I wished I was playing it on the PC.

FPS games again until Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, and Halo came out.

They got me into the FPS genre in fact

DH7
Group Admin

I'd be surprised to run into another person who's actually played Deus Ex, but the other two aren't quite so obscure.

Majin Syeekoh

3575256 I've played Deus Ex.

When it first came out.

The only FPS I ever liked was the Metroid Prime series. :ajsmug:

The Genie, though? I loved him because he filled a hole in my life. He was fun to watch and full of energy, but there was this depth and intensity to him too, as with every role he took on. You could tell that the Genie truly cared, even about the audience. That's Robin in a nutshell, and that's why I liked the Genie.

DH7
Group Admin

There's something about the aiming that I just don't care for, I never liked 007, and I'm not much for multiplayer at all. By the time I was playing my friend's N64 a great deal, I was playing Turok 2, which, in my opinion,has aged far better.

Funny story, I'd been bombarded with Disney imagery since birth, to the point that I had seen every one, at least the ones from the disney renaissance. Friend like Me was even a feature song on one of my Disney Sing-Along Tapes (anyone remember those?)

And it wasn't til I was in high school that it hit me- I had NEVER seen "Aladdin" in full. Like, ever. :pinkiegasp: The first time I watched it ended up being an airing on ABC Family. Ironically, this was right before I went out to see "Princess and the Frog"- like, RIGHT before we left the house, I had finished the movie. :moustache:
Despite this, I always knew who the Genie was, and I recognized Robin's voice from repeated exposure (Him playing Batty also helped, since I actually watched THAT one as a kid), and he just had a certain presence with him, particularly in the Genie performance that just can't be ignored. He was larger than life! :)

I know the Genie was one of only two characters I still like 18 19 years later. The guy who opens the movie is the other.

I'd been bombarded with Disney imagery since birth, to the point that I had seen every one, at least the ones from the disney renaissance. Friend like Me was even a feature song on one of my Disney Sing-Along Tapes (anyone remember those?)

You're not the only one. I was born the year Disney churned out what many still consider the high point of Disney Animation, The Lion King. I grew up with VHS tapes of Aladdin, Lion King, Hercules, and Mulan, as well as other Disney classics like Snow White and Dumbo, and Disney Sing Alongs.

Sadly, despite seeing a few other movies where he had roles, I never recognized that they were played by the same guy who voiced the Genie. :ajsleepy:

3574223 His character was just very likable. I remember going to the movie theater to see Disney's Aladdin for the first time with my best friend at the time in 1992. The first Robin Williams movie I ever saw was Popeye

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16