The Lost Element 175 members · 10 stories
Comments ( 36 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 36
Humanity
Group Admin

In the hopes of generating more activity, I am opening a thread for any and all questions anyone may want to ask me regarding The Lost Element and its spin-offs. Post a question and I will respond as quickly as I can.:twilightsmile:

Hmmmm... Don't know how many places other than Equestria are in the fic yet, I really should re-read all of this, but is there some sort of map for the story? Like a world map? Or is there no need since it all takes place in Equestria?

My question, is is it possible for OC's of ours, to show up perhaps?

What are your thoughts on upcoming plot points, and how difficult has it been to work those in appropriately?

Was your work influenced by anything else during the course of your writing?

Are there any special points of Equestrian society that you want to make more noticeable along the way, or any special pieces of lore outside of those already presented?

Humanity
Group Admin

3470617 I'm afraid there is no definitive map, per se. I base the locations of places depending on the earliest descriptions made by Lauren Faust herself. Along with the official map not reflecting her original descriptions, I highly dislike it for being a blatant rip-off of North America. Whatever places she did not provide, I try to imagine them up on my own.

Humanity
Group Admin

3470687 Not an option, I'm afraid. It is difficult for me to work OCs into the story when I have not seen them in action. That, and most OCs behave in accordance to various tropes, stereotypes, and cliches. James in this story is a representation of myself and therefore behaves like an actual person, much like how the characters in the show are about as believable as a real person themselves. At least before Season 4.:pinkiesad2:

Humanity
Group Admin

3470781 If you mean in the show, I am highly disappointed in it. I will be doing a critique on Magical Mystery Cure when I finally get around to watching it and will provide a link when it is finished pointing out the flaws. And as I said in the story's description, plot points from Season 3 and onward that clash with the plot in The Lost Element are noncanon. Besides, I don't let my wallet direct my writing and prompt me to write stories that push toy sales and sucker in the little kids who are easily dazzled by tired formulas. I try my best to write to the best of my ability.

Here and there, it has. The chapter "A Day with a Derp" was inspired by this video quite some time ago. I warn you though, this is not easy to watch or listen to.

The Doctor Hooves bits were obviously inspired by a certain Tumblr being turned into a Youtube series. I'm sure you know which one. :rainbowwild: And for the bits that involved the characters and settings from Story of the Blanks, Ruby's fate was partially inspired by a bit of deduction and a few pieces of fan art I have no desire to hunt down and show. But Mitta's salvation was inspired by this.

This, combined with the artist's description on DeviantART, made me truly want to save her. Lastly, the 'prototype' version of Fluttershy's lullaby in "Closing the Year" was inspired by this.

As for other influences, I am not certain. I tend to focus more on my own ideas and try to keep my work entirely my own creation.

I suppose, if nothing else, I intend to make clear in Equestrian society how the ponies are not violent by nature and how their society is far more innocent and pure than ours could ever hope to be while also pointing out how such a way of life can be a potential weakness.

I am more thinking of upcoming plot points in YOUR story. We both know of one (without actually saying what of course, no spoilers for the others) but what about others? I have to admit it seems you have a potential side-plot that recently came into being before Discord came out to play once again.

I will admit to SOME confusion on WHICH series your referring to, I have seen one and have started listening to another (They did a small series of joint adventure episodes at one point if that helps narrow it down).

Admittedly some would say that they hope that it stays as innocent as it is, even going so far as to say that the guard and the like sacrifice their own chance at such to protect the rest. Doing and seeing things that not even the Elements have seen. Though with a human in the mix, that becomes a bit more muddled. Humans by nature will have seen or done quite a bit, its a safe bet that one will have heard most all common swears at some point just by going to a public school.

As for its weaknesses, all things have them, its what one does with it that either makes it a help or a hindrance.

Humanity
Group Admin

3470892 Ah, my apologies. As for upcoming plot points, there are two more main arcs after the Mortal Chaos arc concludes, though it will also have plenty of other slice of life chapters mixed in. I'm even looking forward to a few upcoming chapters where I implement some season 3 events with my own twist, namely A Stick in the Maud and Project H among others.

As for my thoughts... Well, I'm pretty excited about it. A friend of mine and I even roleplayed the final two arcs in the story if she had been there and it was the best and longest roleplay I have ever experienced. It's going to be good.

I am actually worried that the villain of the Sins of Humanity arc will be viewed as the weakest and least impressionable villain on the roster, but I hope the following Endgame arc will make up for that. I intend for this story to go out with a bang.

A story of this calibre is not a simple affair, and as we both know something rather unpleasant is scheduled to happen by the end, and it will most assuredly test everyponys limits.

Humanity
Group Admin

3471037 True, though it is possible the sequel will get even uglier in the end. My friend and I are really looking forward to starting on that.

And ever since you mentioned the mere THOUGHT of a sequel i am just as excited.

None of my roleplays from the last 5 years were exciting enough for story-telling. Then again they were all roughly the same.

Another thought comes to mind: What inspires you, humanity? i mean how do you get your inspiration starting? For me it's music, what gives you ideas?

Humanity
Group Admin

3471346 Music certainly helps. As for inspiration... Well, it's hard to say, really. It started as a roleplay with my ex, as described in an earlier thread. I can get lost in music when writing, but it's hard to say where I even got the inspiration to make the story what it is today. I started writing out the roleplay as a story to occupy my time in July 2011 and it kicked off from there. It went from a roleplay into a subtle delving into the functions and understandings of the human heart and nature, but you would have to really read between the lines to see that part of the story's purpose.

I often brainstorm too when thinking about plots and it usually only takes me a few days at most or even a few hours to think up a new major plot point while I think and fine tune it over and over.

Hmm, so many questions and so little time.... :yay:

Hmm, How about what inspired the design of Jame's Armour? Or did you draw it yourself just by free hand?

And what is the process you use, to make a chapter? Did you ever go back and completly re-write any part before?

Humanity
Group Admin

3481343 The armor came to mind when I started thinking up the conflicts of the story and decided to think of something that would give James/myself an edge to level the playing field. I had the armor bear Celestia and Luna's colors as a show of who made it, but had it mostly linked to Luna with James due to his calm subdued personality being more akin to the night instead of the day.

The design was actually initially made by my ex girlfriend but refined and finalized by a pair of good friends of mine.

As for the process of writing, I tend to brainstorm the event months beforehand although I do at times wing it and come up with fitting events on the spot depending on time and place. And while I am currently proof reading and revising my earlier chapters, I have yet to completely redo a scene.

Hmm, how about what made you pick Fluttershy as Jame's lover. Even though it was explained in story, what was YOUR choice for it :derpytongue2:

Humanity
Group Admin

3505922 I decided to go back and have that happen because I felt that at the time, Fluttershy and I are closer in terms of personality and interests.

Heres a couple small ones.:twilightsmile:

What made you decide to Adopt Scootaloo?

It dosen't seem (from my memory right now) that James and Applejack had a really heart felt moment (as was with the others) will they be having one? Or will they have more depth in their friendship shown?

What made you decide to write this in a "journal" format?

Also, how many more chapters are in this? Planned? As you mentioned a Sequel eariler.

Humanity
Group Admin

3506664 Even though the show has yet to confirm it, the likely hood of her being an orphan is high. Since I am stuck between her and Sweetie Belle as my favorite CMC, I felt it would be best to adopt her. I feel our contrasting personalities would make for a strong relationship.

There will be a couple down the road, although one will be during a rather....awkward moment.

To be honest, to try out a different style since always writing in a 3rd person POV for my Pokemon fanfics left something to be desired. And it turned out to be a good idea.

How many? Good question. Since each arc has roughly the same number of chapters as an average cartoon show season, I would have to say.....maybe around 60 or 70?

Will there be mention or actual characters showing up from Season 4? Like Coco Pommel, Maud Pie, ect? (I don't remember where this "takes" places, was it after season 2?)

Humanity
Group Admin

3509425 I've already got a chapter planned where Maud arrives and possibly a chapter with the Breezies. And I will be doing a Power Ponies chapter titled "Project H".

Hehe sweet! And i'm sorry if all these quesitons get annoying, :pinkiesmile:

Humanity
Group Admin

3509561 No problem at all. Keep them coming. The more activity this group receives, the better.

Humanity
Group Admin

3509561 Got anymore questions for me?

I thought you closed the group down :pinkiesad2:

But so many questions its almost too much!

Have you ever, I dunno, almost gave up on continuing? Like with writing? :unsuresweetie:

Humanity
Group Admin

3664005 I do have my low points, but the only story I ever gave up on was Pokemon Legends just recently when I came to the realization that my skills had matured and improved too much to ever go back to it. That, and I've developed a dislike of gary stus, something I realized I had turned Ash Ketchum into.

Humanity
Group Admin

3664005 If you have more questions you know what to do with, I'll gladly answer all that I can.

More questions! Let's see..... You mentioned how you considered another pony to be with James.... (like Rarity or Twilight, but you settled on the adorable butter yellow pegasus) Where did the, Rainbow Dash thing come in? What... Influenced? You to have Rainbow Dash, gain a thing for James?

{I find it quite awesome how.... upon re-reading (For the.... I dunnoth time :twilightsheepish:) That I can pick up more of the hints to her liking him in the beginning.}

Hmmm.... Let's see, another... Since James "died", I forsee a deep, emotional rollercoaster for the girls... Many hard trials and stuff, for them to hopefully get him back. You seem to have a great understanding of how they all act, (hell I based my writing off yours :p And their personalities all fit) So where did you get that? Hours/days of watching and re-watching? reading other stories? looking up their personalities and stuff? Or perhaps they kinda, just fell into place?

I hope to have more... better questions in the future! :twilightsmile:

Humanity
Group Admin

3752202 For Rainbow Dash, it was the whole opposites attract mentality. I personally view her as being one of my biggest opposites with her ego really getting on my nerves whenever it flares up. Despite this, I find her to be highly attractive and the entire Nightmare Moon main arc largely served as a bonding experience, especially during the flight to the Everfree Forest, the fight against the Shadowbolts, and the last stretch against a frenzied Nightmare Moon. If I know her as well as I think I do, such an experience would be both humbling and enlightening to her. In the end, it just felt like it could and would happen under the right circumstances. Because let's face it. Rainbow Dash needs a calm methodical special someone to help keep her impulses in check.

How I got their personalities down pat? I guess they just felt so...real as I watched them. Which is far more than I can say about even the best animes. They just imprint upon you so realistically that you don't have to try that hard to understand how they think. I rarely even stop to think of how they would respond to a situation. It all just flows naturally for me. I pride myself on keeping everyone in my stories in character, largely due to my sheer admiration of how the show was from the start, merging purity and innocence together while still maintaining an air of maturity. I have never seen another show like it.

I should say though that since I find it difficult to click with her as well as the other five, I often feel unsure of myself whenever I write something from Applejack's point of view. Though this is rather odd since of the six, she seems to be the most down to earth and 'normal' of the gang. Or was, at least.

Humanity
Group Admin

3664005 Long time, no talk. Got anymore questions you want to ask?

4220475 If Fluttershy hadn't become James's lover, in numerical order, who would've you chosen instead?

Humanity
Group Admin

4706143 Rarity for certain.

4706300 hmm... Wonder what've happened if that was the case?

I just found about this, and if you still accept question, I will ask.

The other villains are still going to appear? (Chrysalis, Sombra, Tirek)

Because Discord was destroyed... What is going to happen with the plundervines? They dissapeared too or they are still going to appear but Twilight will not know about that? (After all it was thanks to Discord that Twilight returned, but Discord is dead unless he is going to re-appear reformed or something like that)

Are you going to make a Father-Daughter bonding chapter in a future?

Humanity
Group Admin

4850945 Chrysalis still has yet to make her move, Sombra won't appear until the sequel, and Tirek... Well, wait and see.

As I said in the story's header, the events of Season 3 and onward are potentially noncanon. This especially applies to the heavily maligned main storyline since Season 3. As far as I'm concerned, whatever happened in the Season 4 premier never occurred.

I'll see what I can do. Just need to find the right time and place to fit it in.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 36