Freedom VS Harmony 598 members · 308 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30
Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

This has nothing to do with the misanthropy that most humans in HiE partake in but more on their lake of self control when it comes to ponies. I have no idea why a human will call a sapient being cute and have to resist the urge to hug them and treat them like a pet. Its like they have no sense of social norms and personal space and its due to the author's own biase affecting how humans and ponies interact. I read this one first contact story that was promising but lost its atmosphere with the president thinking that the ponies were cute.

It makes no sense. If ponies were real they would not look anything like in the show. Its like the difference between an anime character and a cosplay. While the character may look cool in the show the cosplay appears to look off in real life. Ponies would be a mix between being familiar and completely alien which may land them in the uncanny valley. People should not constantly think that ponies are cute, they should not have to resist senseless urges to treat them like mindless animals, they should not squee like little girls. Its my blief that even the most hardcore brony would act completely different then what they say they would if they actually were displaced d to another world.

Your thoughts?

calinjc
Group Contributor

Cheese. It as good as any other answer of mine.:applejackunsure:

We need more realism. This is a head start.

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Yes. I find that a dash of realism adds to a story id done correctly. Take anime for example. Some realism in the world and character interaction can close many possible plot holes and add to the world.

This is why I believe that we should make a new universe like what was done for the Displaced and other series. This universe should take MLP and remake it in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy style with lots of world building and rules on magic and the interactions between various species to close plot holes and add realism.

4848837 You'd be surprised. People are weird.

Many girls violated my personal space, and hugged me without my consent. They called me cute. This continued well into my teens. This lack of respect is an affront to my person. Chalk it up to dwarfism...I thought getting tattoos and piercings, bulking up, wearing offensive clothing, and shaving my head bald would help. It didn't. It's like half the women in every school take part in the "hug-this-man" conspiracy. I cuss at them, but that only makes them hug harder. They go "aww...sounds like someone needs a hug!"

Seriously. I had fricking fan-clubs like you see in anime. Frequent synchronized greetings by large groups, personal cheerleaders at sports games, and love letters filling up my locker. Girls squee, however I've discovered squeeing done by young adult women. I have stalkers. Women have stolen my personal belongings. One went so far as to clip a lock of my hair and run. Same girl dug up my used napkin out of a garbage can. It's creepy yo.

My friends understand and help me avoid some of this. Some guys tell me, "lucky man! You could have your pick of any one of these hot women!" Pfft, not with these crazies! Not with the women who put cameras over bathroom stalls! I avoid food offerings, because I've been drugged with roofies. I dated genuinely nice girls, but they couldn't put up with the wrath of the jealous ones.

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Tough, man. I don't know what to say about that except thelat nothing remotely similar has happened to me. It reminds me of what happens to popular celebrates so maybe you look like someone famous? I don't know.

But I still think that unless your slightly crazy, that a pony looks cute to you and that you have to pet them shouldn't be at the forefront of you mind when you are stranded on another world.

People should have more self control then that.

4849153 I agree. What about cats? Some love to be petted, others run away or glare when people try. It does help having verbal communication in something understandable to humans. But if a cat didn't want to be pet, some people get the idea, and respect the cat's need for space. Others keep trying, for some selfish desire, or to win the cat over, to socialize it...etc.

Maybe they get these gut reactions toward ponies? Almost like the way they treat babies?

It's more like, because one started it and it spread to some of her friends. Because of that you became something like an object to be desired and lots of the girls are just jumping on the bandwagon because it's probably the popular thing to be doing. It probably won't die down any time soon. It's also understandable if you're an introvert just like some of us. I can tell you that I'm probably a mix of both. I like to initiate it, but I don't like being touched without my permission. So yeah, I'm a cuddle bug. I also didn't get bullied. Mainly because people knew that it was unwise to do so.

Comment posted by No I Will Not deleted Nov 23rd, 2016
Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Makes sense.

We need more stories where the human is logical.

Ponies as we know them would never work and just look plain wrong and land in the uncanny valley. It works in mo st anime as we know what human looks like and only need to ignore the large eyes and hair color.

And even then some things won't make sense like almost everyone being white and thin.

I agree. The Equestrian ponies would look highly disturbing in real life. I tend to imagine heavy, bulldog-like bodies (dense muscle like real horses, and short-cropped hair). Cute would not be the first descriptor to come to mind.

4848837 Since I love animals in real life, ponies can still be adorable in their own way. Maybe not as adorable as cats and dogs, though.

I would probably go against what you just said if I ever ended up there, I probably wouldn't squee or anything but I would want to hug them lots~ :moustache: And call them cute as feck

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Well ponies might make you want to pet them like me when I see a dog or a cat if they are enough like having soft fur. I just hope you have more self control then most SI to not dehumanize them and focus on more important things such as the future and survival.

Of course not, I wouldn't dehumanize them at all. And I would focus on survival, as much as a omnivore can in a society based around eating not-meat. (I know that they can but the show doesn't show that... whose to say they even condone it?)

But hugs and snuggles are mandatory for my own... uh... survival :trollestia: of course. Who knows, that might even enjoy the snuggles, :heart: hehe

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Yeah I get it. Sort of.

I don't really care for that stuff.

Different societal norms, basically food politics :rainbowlaugh: hehehe.

Not for everyone, and I respect that :moustache:

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Anyway why are you commenting now? You are not a new member. I'm trying to get people to engage in discussion in the forums but many do not. I think only around 5 people comment in total in all the threads.

I sort of understand since bigger groups can answer questions better and give a faster response. If you have any suggestions that can help I'll appreciate it.

I mostly never comment on threads in forums, mostly because most threads don't particularly interest me that much. That or I just never know what to say. I was breezing through some threads on here, found this one and decided to comment.

This is a good group, I didn't join for no reason of course. Like I said on the front page, I gots an idea I'm working on to post later on next year.
As for suggestions, well you can't really force it. That's really all I can think of, but this group is primarily focused on Freedom (That's what I'm taking from this) Perhaps have some threads based around that.

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Yes. At least for me this is about personal freedom. I didn't think that the name would be so important to people. You are the second to have focused on the word.

My main goal when I made this group was to have a place where non Bronies such as myself can have more moderate stories unlike the vast majority.

If you make a thread about your idea I will be happy to offer my thoughts and suggestions. I will try to be thorough. I've posted some of ideas and I hate it when I get one sentence answers that it's good instead of ways to improve it.

I see the word Freedom and I think of just that, Freedom. Doesn't matter what kind of freedom, freedom is freedom.

That makes sense, and I approve dude.

I like any answers I can get, any answer is a good answer! At least when someone says it good its not horribly crap. Hahah, but I might consider posting a thread if I ever need some ideas for it, as will as help with some things.

4848837 I may be an animal lover, but it does seem like some bronies take this adorableness to an extreme, possibly to waifu levels.

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

You can say that. Though given that ponies are sapient you can give them some leeway. They just might like the characters personality and stuff.

But still does every single character I read have to think ponies are cute instead of a possible threat in the dark fics?

I'm thinking of how an SI of me would work. I dont think it would be very interesting as I would try to get settled as fast as I could. But I'm thinking that I would hang out with Zecora and maybe work with Fluttershy while avoiding the town completely.

5652791 What exactly is an "SI", again?

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

5652804 Oh, just like Humanity with Lost Element. ...At least I think it was a self-insertion. Could be wrong, though.

I was told that I talk like a politician and that I'm adorable, in the same sentence too. I was around 21 at the time. For the next 15 seconds I looked like this: :rainbowderp:

Real life horses and ponies are adorable, G4 pones would look very creepy IRL. You need a ton of cel-shading to make them work even as just a 3D model. Realistically they would look different from both. I imagine they would look like a crossbreed between a horse and a cat.

Calling them adorable face-to-face may be appropriate under certain circumstances,
Pinkie Pie can still pull off the puppy face as an adult, after all...
It would depend on previous experience, pony culture, context, and probably familiarity.

mindless animals

There is no such thing.
At least you used the correct words.
Did you know that the word 'sapient' has no scientific description? In it's current form, it was first used by Tolkien in a collab novel called Out of the Silent Planet.

Same happened here. That word is very important indeed.

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Was it your mother who said that? JK.

The ponies can be cute, what I really hate though is that some authors take that cuteness as a fact and not depending on a person's preference. Most also lack and form of manners or formality when it comes to interacting with them.

(I still can't get over the fact that someone wrote the president of the US thinking that the ponies were cute and wanting to pet them instead of focusing on the first contact with another world. It's just stupid!)

Well, there is a difference between (Oh, they are so cute) and officially issuing a brush to every goverent employee who might come into contact with them. It is normal to think they are cute and not mention it.

By the rule of common sense, the first reaction would be disbelief. There is just no way something like that is not a prank. A scenario like that would make for great comedy, especially if the response is taken seriously.

-Sir, we have made contact with an alien lifeform. It's a pink unicorn.
-Give them brushies :3
-Sir, ...uh, understood, sir.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30