Stallionverse 236 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24
Jetto
Group Admin

I had this idea for the longest time and I hinted at it several times, so let's get this sorted out. We all love our Three Maresketeers (in case you're new: Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer and Moondancer, living together in Academy dorms) and they deserve their own title. But not just a 'story', I was thinking of an ongoing, Slice of life series about our three favourite students.

However, what will separate it from other Stallionsverse stories, is that it will be a self-contained story that everyone can enjoy, even without reading The Longest Night. Of course, it will still be a part of the verse, but written in a way that won't interfere with readers and won't require any prior knowledge. So for example, whenever Shining Armor would be referenced, it'll be handwaved by saying "he went to Ponyville on the day that Nightmare Moon came back and stayed as a bodyguard for Prince Blueblood. Apparently they became friends, weird, huh?". Basically, since girls know nothing about the Elements, that won't be mentioned at all.

But there's only so much I can write myself. I have troubles keeping ONE story afloat, not to mention two at the same time, so this I want to be a group effort, with different writers writing singular, self-contained chapters, with maybe an overarching plot somewhere in the middle, with possible crossovers with the Stallion6.
Also, any Canterlot-based character is welcome to appear. Celestia, Luna, Spike, along with several of my guard OC's and even more can make an appearance.

So, thoughts?

As someone writing around six or seven stories, only around four of them regularly, I know the feeling of not being able to write quite enough as one might like. :fluttershyouch:

It'll be a while before I can reasonably fit more on my plate, this series sounds like fun! :pinkiehappy:

Dang, I really want to see this, but I have precisely zero writing skills that I could contribute to the collaboration.

Hmm, yes I would love to see more. As far as ideas, a typical magic highschool hijinks can be Fun, would they have a rival clice? IDK if there was plans to incorporate Trixie or if she's was gonna be like Moondancer's cousin or something but having a Bully would be fun. Someone like Dimond Tiara maybe a victim of Sunset youthful meanness who has made it her goal to take down the evil batch and her slot friend who may have stolen a boyfriend. Twilight would be a neutral party until Twi has a freak out and does some serious damage to this poor girl... Her revenge will be sweet. Since somehow Id like to see Trixie as the Babs Seed of the musketeers I'd like this girl to be some elite press possibly Royalty, maybe Blue blood cousin. Or the daughter of some wealthy business pony who could make for some sticky dealings with Twilight's family. I wouldn't mind writing this unless someone else already has this in mind.

Jetto
Group Admin

3457991 I like the idea of a rival clique, but Trixie is already reserved for another story. I'm not against OC's, though.
One thing I'd like to avoid, is exploring Sunset's past too much, for purpose of future stories.

Hmm... Possible spoilers for that Trixie story's aftermath.
The way the story is due to end, it's very likely that Trixie will end up wanting to be even more Great and Powerful, feeling that her current abilities aren't enough for her goal. To that end, she might figure that going back to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns (which I think she was canonically in, years ago) might be her best bet. Cue meeting Mareskateers and joining in the mayhem?
Also:
Celestia, due to some reasons, would probably be happy to welcome her back, as they might have some things to talk about now and again... :trollestia:

Jetto
Group Admin

Okay then, several things that need to be done first:

1. Find a cover picture- It can even be just a few pictures slapped together, as long as it has Twilight, Sunset and Moondancer together in a single, well looking picture.

2. Start- no pressure to potential writers, just saying that's what needs to be done, duh.

3. Brainstorm even more- so keep up with those ideas, even if you don't write them.

4. World building- unlike Ponyville, Canterlot is a rather undeveloped place thus far and I'm saving it for this story. So yeah, keep coming up with places and ponies, ideas, magical classes and stuff.

So, yeah, that about it. I just don't want this thread to die that easily.

We could probably bring Celestia into the mix as well, Twilight still being her protege? She'd probably send Twilight, and consequently the others, to do lower-key things than saving the world and stopping ancient evils, but still something related to their studies. Or screwing with Twilight's head, but mainly the first one.

I think there's room for Luna in here too every now and then, but I'm not sure where. :applejackunsure:

For actual stories, maybe some exploration of why two competitive bookworms like Twilight and Sunset hang around Moondancer? I'm sure she isn't stupid, but it might be something to play with.

The trio meets Fancy Pants? Hilarity ensues? I'll edit this post with more ideas when they come. :trixieshiftleft:

EDIT: A Castle-maneia-esque story in which they explore an old, decrepit manor in the older region of Canterlot to retrieve a spellbook with some really useful, but forgotten tips and secrets they heard about somewhere? It'd probably start with Twilight and Sunset spurring eachother to go in, "It's not like the place is cursed..." Moondancer probably trying to get them to leave, trembling in fear the whole time, and the three of them getting spooked over and over until they find something.

And then, They find nothing of much value, groan with mutual irritation, and go home. Moondancer doesn't follow them right away, smirking to herself. Phew, I was afraid they'd find it... Glancing to the still-unopened dusty cabinet next to the pedestal they found the not-so-useful spellbook on, she could rest easy knowing her advanced copy of the Pony Sutra, left in a "haunted" house for safe keeping, was still her little secret...

For added fun, maybe Silver Sword and Fire Brand are dispatched to the area when reports of screams are directed to The Guard?

Jetto
Group Admin

3468181 Twilight has stuff to do in Canterlot, no need to send her away. Unless its a field trip, then who knows :trollestia:

Luna- yes, she has a place here. I was thinking of either placing her as a new teacher... or new student, so she could catch up to the current events. Possibly in disguise, so to not cause too much commotion, then have Moondancer find out and geek out.

L: I apologize for lying to you, Moondancer, I hope you can forgi--
M: Squeee, I'm friends with a Princess! That's the best day of my life! Not counting that one night in Tihooti!
L: ...what?

Origin of Three Mareskateers will be explored. I alluded to it several times, but to refresh your memories- Moondancer and Twilight were friends before Sunset arrived in Canterlot. What happened later is still unknown, but it was a rocky start for sure.

Fancy that! It could work, just not sure how.

Sliciest life-slicing slice of life I can think to slice with the life knife; the three explore various ways to stay in shape? Magic versus well-coordinated exercise regimens taken from at least 8 different tomes on the subject +backup biology books versus Moondancer's slightly predictable alternative?

Sunset, the one who suggested spells, may have done so as a cover for her real method... South-province belly dancing she's spent her entire stay at Canterlot hiding and kindof wishing she could forget if only it meant she wouldn't risk being less fit than Twilight if she did.

Oh, for the Fancy Pants idea, maybe Celestia wants her top students to mingle with the nobility a bit, get to know ponies outside their own circle? He'd be a rational choice for easing them into territory Blueblood got so sick of after too many years in the deep end, I think.

Jetto
Group Admin

3473352 Now I can't stop imagining Moondancer witnessing Sunset working in a strip club to pay for her tuition. Turns out, she doesn't have any wealthy relatives :derpyderp1:

Fancy Pants would be a nice fit, along with Fleur de Lis (I really like her). I'd like to keep them together, but not as a couple or even lovers, but close friends and associates, because I want to make a story with him meeting Stallion 6. Just make sure he's as cool of a stallion as he is in canon.

Ok so are there any subjects Twilight is bad at? Twi and Sunset are about to take some midterms and are worried about passing, (or in Twilight's case getting an A-). I was going to plug Equish language (analog for English duh) as unbelievable as that sounds only because the Rules of Equish are very nonsensical. Im kinda biased though since I dislike the subject so I was hoping for opinions.

As opposed Sunset dislikes Calculus, this is for my story and considering I know nothing about the subject in question so compared to English would it be surprising that Twi would rather be doing Calculus, than discussing the finer points of Language.

Also I figured at CSFGU Calculus would be a required course since it would be used in higher level magic, or at least the written spell form.

If anyone wants to see what I have so far and help me edit my story is HERE
Its a working title

I have a relatively hard time picturing Twilight (Sunset even moreso, as she opted to completely forsake everything but her studies in canon) not being near-perfect in pretty much everything academically, but as this is a world where both accepted social interaction apparently on their own, I'm sure we can play with it a bit!

Looking back at Bridle Gossip, I have the suspicion that Twilight would have a little trouble with older styles of magic, if not outright alchemy, as she missed the Super-Natural remedy book and dismissed the idea of curses (until she thought she was cursed) altogether. I don't remember any deficiencies on Sunset's part other than her being kindof evil, but it seems safe to say Calculus is tricky enough to go with, (To quote my first Calc teacher; "Calculus is hard." My second demonstrated this by screwing up his own examples on a near-daily basis) moreso if we just say she has no head for numbers, insane amounts of studying only able to do so much.

I have a relatively hard time picturing Twilight (Sunset even moreso, as she opted to completely forsake everything but her studies in canon) not being near-perfect in pretty much everything academically,

Quoted for truth, but you see this is the point. The one fear that both share is not being Perfect. So Twilight worries about falling below an A, but has accepted that not always getting an A plus is not some huge detriment to her life.

When considering these two in this incarnation I have thought of Twilight as being stronger with logic and memorization than with interpersonal and intuitive subjects, while the reverse is true for Sunset. That is why they are a foil for one another both pushing the other to excel in the weaker subjects.

While I consider Alchemy or perhaps Shamanism to be a good choice for Twilights weaker subject I wouldn't say that her lack of knowledge on the show was due to any deficiency. She just never considered it a science at the time, in later episodes we see her studying it, possibly realizing that it was a credible field of study.

Jetto
Group Admin

I designed Twilight to be more into logic, science, proof and all around practical type of pony, disregarding the unknown like shamanism, alchemy, curses, dark magic or anything that can't be found in books in Canterlot's libraries. Sunset on the other hand, is very HIGHLY interested in the unknown and would pursue these legends in hopes that at least a small grain of truth is somewhere out there, so she could be the first (maybe even only) pony to achieve it. That wonderous ambition is part of why everyone thinks that she's kinda evil (I mean, what sane pony would research curses?).

As for the weak part of Sunset, I guess she would have troubles in teamwork, especially when their partner isn't Twilight or Moondancer. There is a story out there, of an out of their luck student assingned to work with her. Hilarity ensues.

Meanwhile Moondancer just studies for exams and lives her life fully, still managing to get solid 90+ on every test.

Hmmm... just imagined Sunset and Twilight investigating one Pinky Pie and her Pinky sense. But ala X-Files. Sunset Mulder and Twilight Scully, are investigating some mysterious happenings in Ponyville when they meet the inexplicable mare. Sunset's zealous enthusiasm only tempered by Twilight's cold logic. Will they ever discover the original case of... Who is Shining Armor secreatly dateing?

Jetto
Group Admin

3482606 First we need to get Twilight into Ponyville, which I will take care of personally in my version of Sisterhooves Social, amptly renamed "Siblinghooves Socia", with Twilight officially visiting to team up with Shiny. Yes, spoilers, whoops.

I admit this is a little my-favorite-character(aside from Blueblood)-focused, but how does Spike fit into this? Is he Twilight's poorly defined assistant/friend/familiar/pet/servant, and has just the goal of assisting her forever, like in canon? Would Twilight's actual ability to socialize with others during his infancy and beyond make them a bit more distant? Like Spike helps Twilight, but he's not on call all the time and as a result he's more independent from her? Would he even be Twilight's number one assistant if she were just a normal (albeit talented) student? Clearly he still has something with her based on the little we see in Longest Night.

If the three Maresketeers all live together, where does Spike live? I'm sorta doubting with them, especially since he didn't show up in Longest Night at all to my recollection... although I guess it doesn't say they all live in the same room either.

Perhaps, since he's not one of the three mares this should be in another thread?

Jetto
Group Admin

3490131 He's part of their supporting cast. To answer your question, he has a different job here, but closely related to what he did in canon. Him and Twilight are seprarable, but still pretty close, as both have other things to do in life. I imagine Spike is an assistant librarian, a place that Twilight and her friends often visit.
As for his relationship with Moondancer and Sunset... yeah, I'll let that one speak when it comes out :raritywink:

Out of Stallion6 the ones who know about Spike would be obviously Shining Armor, who probably treats him like a cousin of some sorts, and Prince Blueblood, who lived in Canterlot and isn't even a bit surprised that a baby dragon works there. As for the others, that could be a doozy for them.

Thought lightning! Rose, Daisy, and Lily either meeting Twilight, Sunset, and Moondancer for a six-mare caper or switching places with respective groups? The Flower Trio visiting Canterlot for some reason at the same time the Mareskateers drop by Ponyville?

I can't think of what they'd be doing off the top of my head, but it's an open-ended starting point, I think.

Jetto
Group Admin

3577108 Sounds like something that could happen eventually. But before that, we need to actually develop the characters first. I gotta start writing about Three Maresketeers one day :twilightblush:

Here's an idea I have had for a while, but I'll admit I don't have the time and energy to write it myself (however, I DO leave it open for somebody who DOES have sufficent (sp?) time and energy to write it AND likes it enough to do it:

Spike gets framed for a jewel heist at the Canterlot Museum and Twilight, Sunset and Moondancer work to clear him (okay, Twilight works to clear Spike; Sunset is basically just trying to show Twilight up and Moondancer is just ultra-excited about encountering all those handsome police stallions with their hoof-cuffs. :-D

I admit I drew partial inspiration from issues 21 and 22 of the comic book series, but I hope somebody likes this idea enough to do it. If not, I profusely apologize for wasting everybody's time.

The jewel thief thing alone may have implications in the main Stallionverse, actually, if a certain criminal, or whoever he may have been working with, takes an interest in the jewels on display...

I'm not sure off the top of my head how it would go, but it does say they sometimes fight crime in the story description, so this might work as another one of those times.

Also; I don't think any idea is a complete waste of time, if only for how it might ricochet off and land somewhere else, becoming an interesting plot point or story arc where nobody intended it to, or maybe fit in as initially thought at a later date when things line up better. I do that sometimes in my own writing. :pinkiehappy:

Hey there. Thanks very much. :-D

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24