Library of Trivial Lore and Other Things 122 members · 280 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24
Noble Thought
Group Admin

I suppose a definition may be needed first and foremost. What is a Colloquialism?

A colloquialism is a type of slang, usually local in origin. "y'all" is a colloquialism, for example.

Colloquial expressions tend to sneak in as writers, being part of a society, are influenced by the way people speak in that society. Naturally, they are bound to add colloquial expressions in their vocabulary. However, writers use such expressions intentionally too as it gives their works a sense of realism. For instance, in a fiction story depicting American society, a greeting “what’s up?” between friends will seem more real and appropriate than the formal “How are you?” and “How do you do?”

-Literary Devices

We have, of course, the generic ones:
Somepony / somebody
Flying Feather / Flying F--- (I don't like to curse... call me strange)
What in the hay / What in the hell
Don't get your tail in a knot / Don't get your knickers in a twist (Interesting implication there...)

The Flying Feather one might only be used by pegasi, for example, whereas unicorns might use different words to express the same sentiment, and earth ponies would use still different words.

So what are some others that you would think that ponies use on a regular basis? This is the flavor language for their world, and I imagine that for every region of Equestria there are different phrases that they use, even differing between the types of ponies.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

Despite the fondness the fandom has for it, there is very little reason for the word "buck" -- meaning to kick simultaneously with both hind legs -- to also be slang for sexual intercourse. This isn't Cockney Rhyming Slang, folks -- and thank Celestia for that, because it's a blight on the English language.

3306405 Horseapples = D----- (I don't like to swear ether)

Noble Thought
Group Admin

I will agree with you on the idea that "buck" shouldn't be used as slang for intercourse. There's other, perfectly suitable words for that. I think "roll in the hay" would be an adequate pony adoption of an actual slang phrase.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

I find profanity to be both useful and entertaining for expressing oneself (assuming it isn't done with a complete lack of imagination), but I thought it best to express myself in more clinical terms in my previous post, in deference to folks like you and our Fearless Leader.

And I'm not sure what you're trying to spell out, but "horse apples" already has a real-world equivalent to, well, biological waste. The go-to animal for exclaiming in English is a bull, not a horse.

That works. :pinkiesmile: And it's also reminding me of Young Frankenstein...

Noble Thought
Group Admin

Forgot about that one. It's also an actual term for... well... horse sh--

Noble Thought
Group Admin

Frau Blucher in Equestria. Oh good grief... I want to write that comedy now. Everypony neigh! It's Frau Blucher!

:rainbowhuh:

Minds Eye
Group Admin

What about "buck" in the dismissive sense of the f-bomb? I think it fits with the meaning of a kick.

Meaning, "buck you" or "buck this" translates to "away with you" or "get this away from me."

Noble Thought
Group Admin

I can see that. It's an expletive used by a horse who wants to kick something away from them. I'd buy it.

The use of buck as sexual slang is neither right nor wrong.
You only have your personal perceptions to have the use of it colored to your preference.
It ultimately depends upon the reader and writer in question.

The use of either word is mostly aesthetic at this point.

3306429 If you are going to say something, say it in full.
Censoring the word will not bring down the associated "harshness" of it, since we all know what the word is already. Censoring is pointless to that effect unless it is done in full.

Noble Thought
Group Admin

I will agree that there's no right or wrong way to use slang. Slang is an intentional, or unintentional, misuse of the meaning of a word. It doesn't bother me all that much to see it used that way, but it can be very confusing when using it in terms of both meaning "Kick" and meaning intercourse.

As to the other, that is a personal preference. I do not swear in person, and I prefer to keep it that way on the internet. I know all of you know what the word is, but it's not something I like to say or type in full. I don't care if you use it, but I'm not going to. Call me weird, or crazy, or whatever. I am the way that I am.

3312325 Fine by me. Each to their own.

arcum42
Group Contributor

Don't forget "Ponyfeathers!" and Applejack's "For Corn's Sake!".

Of course, one of my unpublished stories has the following line by a young Scootaloo who's just realised she doesn't know how to swear... (Sequel to Making Friends, for anyone who's read that.)

"Oh..." Scootaloo trailed off for a moment while she searched her vocabulary for something suitable to express her feelings. "Wait a minute, why don't I know any swear words? Pony fur? Hoof clippings?"

I tend towards having Scootaloo use feather related swearing due to her wings, though...

--arcum42

Noble Thought
Group Admin

Humm.

"Goose down!"
"Oh, feathers..."
"Wingnuts!" - Because she's also mechanically inclined.
"For the love of flight... Get on with it!"
and the always classic: "Featherbrain."

arcum42
Group Contributor

I forgot that "Horsefeathers!" is also an acceptable variant of "Ponyfeathers!", and I think is considered a stronger version of it.

Of course, we've also heard Scootaloo called a dodo, though I don't know if that's a standard swear word, or just because it's Scootaloo...

--arcum42

Noble Thought
Group Admin

Probably just Scootaloo, honestly. It's kind of a cruel insult, considering what goes down in Flight to the Finish. But considering that Scoots didn't know what it meant, maybe she just let it pass by.

Horsefeathers is a good one. I'd forgotten that too. I think I'm tapped out on potential feather related curse words that Scoots might know. I think "Flying feather" might be a little harsh, considering its non-pony equivalent.

arcum42
Group Contributor

Yeah. Granny Smith has a pretty colorful vocabulary, of course.

"Darn tootin'!", "Dangnabit!", "plum tuckered", "Confangled modern doohickeys!", and " I bet your hooves to hindquarters", for example...

--arcum42

Noble Thought
Group Admin

Ponyism: A hoof count and a tail's worth of trouble. (Almost more than can be handled)
Ponyism, unicorn: A hoof count and a horn's worth of trouble. (More trouble than it's worth)
Ponyism, pegasus: A cloudful of trouble. (Trouble brewing on the horizon)

Ponyism: Forelocks over hocks. (Head over heels)
Ponyism, Granny Smith, saucy: "Well nibble my frog and call me saddleshy." (Um. Nope. Use your own imagination.)

And it's also reminding me of Young Frankenstein...

I watched that movie yesterday:rainbowlaugh:

Minds Eye
Group Admin

Thanks to you, I know what the frog is.:rainbowlaugh:

I won't tell, but I will say that I learned it proofreading a certain story of yours.:pinkiecrazy:

Hmm...

"You don't pull Celestia's tail." (You don't tug on Superman's cape)
"An apple in the pantry is worth two in the tree." (A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush)
"Three can keep a secret if two of them Pinkie swear." (Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead)
"The pegasi are steamed over something." (It's raining cats and dogs)
"You are so random!" (Please, please don't tie me up in a dungeon)

I'm not so good at these.:twilightsheepish:

Colliqualisms, you say?

"Bovinoid" as an equivalent of "Mongoloid."

"A bale of hay today is better than two apples in a bush" for "Better a bird in the hand than two in the bush."

"Son of a timberwolf!" for "Son of a bitch!"

I like to think that there is an equestrian equivalent for the expression "The promise of a Greek." Maybe "The promise of a minotaur"? Or "The promise of a pegaus"?

Minds Eye
Group Admin

"Beware a draconequus bearing gifts?"

"The promise of a Greek" actually means "a promise that won' t be kept because who said it either can' t keep or does not want to keep it."

What you are proposing seems more fitting for an equivalent of "beware of the Greeks, even if bring gifts."

Additional ideas:

"He pulled the draconequus' tail" for "he pulled theDevil's tail."

I tend to use "Sweet Celestia/Luna" in the instance my characters would say "Oh my God." I believe Rarity actually used this at the end of Twilight's Kingdom after their rainbow forms (thankfully) faded.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24