Welcome to FimFiction 195 members · 159 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30
Reganthestrange
Group Admin

This is the forum where you can ask all those little questions, I'll make a forum for them all as fast as I can :pinkiehappy:

3221285 When you write a story and you have some pre-readers, editors and proofreaders coming and going. How do you go about giving references.

Who gets a reference? How long does one have to help you out in order for you to become obligated to reference him? What if you helped him out in return, does that annihilate the need for any reference giving?

Where should one give reference (in first comment of a story, long description, authors notes, blog)?

Okay, so here's my problem. I don't want to spam readers with a wall of names in the description, but at the same time, I don't want to hurt anypony.

Reganthestrange
Group Admin

3221300 great question, I shall have the forum up tomorrow morning :pinkiehappy:

Comment posted by Happy deleted Apr 24th, 2014
Comment posted by Reganthestrange deleted Apr 24th, 2014
Blood_rose_doll
Group Contributor

Do you know where somepony like me can find an artist for my story and avatar? :twilightsmile:

Reganthestrange
Group Admin

3223785 Thank you. You make hard decisions sound so easy to solve. :twilightsheepish:

And if you have any more questions... I'll be happy to answer your questions:pinkiehappy:

Reganthestrange
Group Admin

3223810 no problem, I just write the answers in the easiest way I can think of. Because I'm sure a quick easy answer is better then 50 paragraphs of loads of really confusing complex answers.

3223820 3223839 Here's another question. You find a cover art and ask the author for permission to use it for your fanfic. The author says it's okay, as long as you accredit them.

Fimfiction has a feature. If you hover over the cover art, a 'source' button will appear that will link the reader to the authors site. Is that enough of accreditation?

Reganthestrange
Group Admin

3223846 usually the author wants you to mention them in the description, and if your saying cover art was drawn by Bob (from now on Bob shall be used for examples cause he is awesome) they would want you to make their name a Link to their page.

I'd also put a little link in the discription. Like cover art made by ...

3223866 3223912 Half of the stories on this site have fan made cover art. Why don't all those stories have links to cover art artist in long description as well? Is this one of those rules, that everypony agrees on, but nopony upholds?

Reganthestrange
Group Admin

3225841 I've never heard of that being one of the rules before, but you do find a few people that leave art links in the description.

I honesty have no idea:twilightblush:

Is there a group for new writers? I have a new story that I would like critiqued and it hasn't received a single comment.
The story is called The Dream Thief. Here's the URL: The Dream Thief

3229963 If you want a comment on your story, then I Just Want A Comment group is your best bet.

Thanks joined.

I got a question: how do you make chat? I tried and did the email thing were I had to like put Down a password and stuff but it's confusing

Reganthestrange
Group Admin

3230836 how you can chat to someone is you go to their profile and below their avatar there should be a little letter. Press that and send your message.:pinkiehappy:
Or you can create a forum and chat with people.

Blood_rose_doll
Group Contributor

How do you make links that don't look like links and just says what it is?

3233210 You mean like this?

You click on the chain icon above the reply box, then enter the URL and the phrase which will be a link.

Alternatively, you can just write the code yourself
[url=—>link here<—]—>Your phrase here<—

3221285 Question: How do you capitalise words of the title of your story? I've came across this problem when I was trying to capitalise correctly the title of my story: "Rape is Bad and You Should Feel Bad!" (did I capitalised it correctly?)

Most letters get capitalised, but some don't.

Some of the words that don't get capitalised are:
and, to, in, for, is, an...
(I think)

I could use an process by which I could determine which words get capitalised and which don't. That or a full list of words that don't get capitalised.

Also, should you capitalise chapters like you capitalise titles as well or should you just capitalise the first letter of a chapter?

Reganthestrange
Group Admin

3235296 firstly, if you are doing the title you should either only capitalise the first letter of the first word, or all of the first letters of the first word.

Yes, you should capitalise chapter titles, they are a title and so they need capital letters.

3235343 So, if I understand you correctly, I capitalised my title wrong? The right way to do it would be either
"Rape is bad and you should feel bad!"
or
"Rape Is Bad And You Should Feel Bad!"

Am I getting you correctly? Are you also saying, that chapter names go by the same logic? Should you keep it consistent with title choice or can you do the title with just first word capitalised and chapter names with all words capitalised?

There are two fics in the feature box right now:
The Terribly Taxing Tribulations of Twilight
A Spark of Insanity
Are you saying they have a grammatical mistake in their titles (a word not being capitalised)?

Reganthestrange
Group Admin

3235364 yes, well technically they aren't incorrect. There aren't any pacific rules to how you have to capitalise your title.

I accidentally upvoted my own story, which I suppose is Frowned Upon -- I'm not exactly an impartial judge of its quality. However, I can't seem to find a way to retract the upvote and set things right. (I've discovered I can change it into a downvote or back again, but there are limits to how far I will take humility).

Am I missing something?

Reganthestrange
Group Admin

3244193 no, I'm afraid once you have up voted your story you can't take it off, only change it to a down vote.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30