Daring Do 630 members · 479 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

Okay, so spoilers ahead, and I have been holding back as long as I can to ask this.

So, I was watching the Season 7 Finale part 1, and there was a scene in there where I found the pony incarnation of Indiana Jones. Here is a picture for proof:

See, he's a stallion background character, whip cutie mark and everything. I call him Pony Jones Jr. as a personal head canon.

Okay, I'll state that this should not be taken as a way to totally strip Daring Do as the mare who was paying homage to Indiana Jones in the first place, so please, don't begin a flame war to state that she's Indiana Jones Ponyfied, and that it's set in stone. Just hear me out on some theories based off seeing this clip from part 1 of the Season 7 finale.

So getting to the heart of my topic here, now knowing we have an Indiana pony in the series, no matter how brief, I'd like to ask a question about Daring Do.

Do you think Daring Do is more a pony incarnate of Marian Ravenwood (Indiana Jones' partner in Raiders of the Lost Ark), or Laura Croft the Tomb Raider?

I lean more towards Laura Croft, since she's not exactly a "certified" Archaeologist, much like Laura Croft who is heir to a family company. And she's pretty wealthy, just like Laura Croft, but those are my reasons for thinking that.

But what are your opinions, and can you state why you think Daring Do fits the role you chose? Do you have your own idea of who she "could" be, aside from Indiana Jones ponyfied?

Can't multiple characters take inspiration from the same one?

Indiana Jones was himself inspired by pulp fiction heroes from the thirties, and in turn inspired Lara Croft as well as a number of other characters. That's something you may want to consider.

I suppose you have a point there. Guess I may have been a little harsh to, pretty much go and say, Daring Do can't own the Indiana Jones title still, but I mean, why make a stallion that has so many features similar to Indiana Jones, if Daring Do was already suppose to be MLP's version? That seems a little redundant, don't you think? I've got other reasons why I go the Daring Do is Laura Croft ponyfied route, but I did want to hear other's opinions, so thank you.

Daring Do isn’t based so much on Indiana Jones himself, rather, the archetype that Indy’s character popularized.

I can see where you're coming from with that.

That might've been a decision on the animator's part. Just saying.

I suppose. But, just for the sake of there "possibly" being a deeper meaning to the stallion showing up, what do you think between the two selections I listed? Or do you have your own idea in mind?

I honestly think at the beginning that Daring Do was meant to be an homage to Indiana Jones, albeit more the general archetype of the fictional Adventurer Archaeologist rather than the specific character. Marian Ravenwood, while raised by an archaeologist and spending much of her formative years around them, wasn't herself an archaeologist. As for Lara Croft, from what I recall, she continued the family line (her father at least dabbled in the subject), and probably inherited a fair fortune - from what we know, Daring Do/A. K. Yearling's wealth appears to be derived mostly from her book sales.

So yeah, I'll have to politely disagree with both of your theories.

Fair enough. So basically your saying your sticking with her being Indiana Jones ponyfied? No other ideas forming in your head?

Pretty much, yes.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10