Fluttershy's Protectors 282 members · 552 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

I've noticed a growing amount of dislike/hate for the little meek pegasus in this fandom. Sometimes it really gets to me how people can't see the greatness of her character and would even go as far as to call her worst pony at times. I was wondering if anyone else here felt the same for my best favorite pony.

Fluttershy is awesome. Even in pure vanilla canon, she overcoes her fears to do what she believes right, and when she makes up her mind, she is almost unstoppable.

I love Fluttershy.

Dramapony
Group Admin

4965900 Just remember, the meek shall inherit the earth! She's well on her way to doing that throughout the show!

Yeah I know. That's one of the reasons I love her as a character too. People say she is lacking in character development, but she has come very far out of her shell these past 5 seasons and still continues to do so which makes me want to root for her even more.

Well said. Kindness conquers all :heart:

She's had a lot of character development. It's important to see the Fluttershy episodes in sequence, and to realize that on MLP:FIM, characters generally change slowly. Which is a good thing -- the way that they instantly transform after epiphanies, or just twist to conform to the latest plot twist on most shows -- that's bad writing.

4965900 I see the hate. And what gets me is that many of the same people worship Rainbow Dash, even though she's had the least character development out the Six. But all I have to do to get rid of the bad feelings is remember what makes Fluttershy special to me. She has the same timidity and anxiety I deal with regularly, and she has a hidden strength in her that I wish I had, and respect her for. That, and if she were real, she'd pretty much be the perfect woman. :twilightblush:

Plus, Season 5 gave the Flutter-haters even less of a reason to hate Fluttershy ("The Cutie Map", when she talked back to Applejack and spied on Starlight, "Castle Sweet Castle" when she snapped at Pinkie Pie, "Make New Friends but Keep Discord", when she told off Discord for his behavior, "Tanks for the Memories" and her "petless" comment for Rainbow Dash, and of course, "Scare Master", when she faced her fears and made Nightmare Night special). She's come a long way since mumbling her name to Twilight in the very first episode. She's a wonderful character, and I wouldn't give her up for anything. :yay:

To some people, her first few spotlight episodes were repetitive. I get that. The moral was pretty much always that she needed to overcome some kind of fear. That gets her a lot of ire. Her archetype, the quiet, shy girl that never talks to anyone, also gets a lot of hatred because it can be a cheap way to get audiences to sympathize with a character. That archetype appeals to some people's protective instincts, which can be a cheap and cynical way to get them to like your character if that's all the character ever is.

But people who say that she's not a good character are either unwilling or unable to understand a character like Fluttershy. Her character growth has been subtle. It hasn't been a jump over the course of an episode like most of the other characters. (Applejack has a similar "problem", except that Applejack doesn't need much character development.) Fluttershy's problems--anxiety, fear, excessive shyness, and other related issues--are not problems that can be dealt with overnight. They take a long time, and for some people, they take years and years of therapy and treatment if they become severe enough.

Looking back, Fluttershy has come a long way. I'd say that shyness isn't even a problem for her anymore. She's still shy, but it's not disrupting her life like it used to. She has gone from not even being able to talk to Twilight to being unfazed by mingling at the Gala--the biggest social event in Equestria--and being willing to talk to complete strangers without a problem (at least when Twilight's around and there's a problem to solve). I wouldn't exactly say she's fearless, but she has also reached a point where her fears and worries no longer cripple her. Especially after this past season, Fluttershy has become a great character.

I think the big problem is that the people who don't like Fluttershy or Applejack are the type who think that character flaws need to disappear entirely, which is never going to happen for Fluttershy. She'll always be shy. It's in her name. And fear and worry are normal human emotions that most people deal with from time to time. The flaw came from those things interfering with her life, which they don't anymore. Having the same traits doesn't look like character growth if you aren't looking closely, though, so those people will never be won over.

That's how it will be for every character. There will always be someone to bash her, and we notice it for Flutters more because we love her so much. But she's had amazing development. Remember Marble Pie? WhIle Fluttershy has always been a teeny bit more vocal than her, she used to be more like Marble. And while she's always been shy and always will be (which I wouldn't want any other way), she is now a lot farthee than she used to be. She can sing for a small crowd as a first baby step. She caN ignore her fears to help others, like a big dragon or just meeting new ponies and traveling to new places. She can stand up for herself and state her opinions that may oppose others, like in Bats!

AND and and and! The 5th season premiere! I was SO proud of our little yellow bird pony then! She spied on Starlight Glimmer and exposed her for what she was, all on her own whIle her friends were imprisoned. She was, in my probably biased opinion, one of the biggesr heroes of the episode.

And don't forget how we have Discord on our side all thanks to her. She is so strong. She has flaws, but they are flaws we love, and we love her even more because she knows she has flaws and accepts herself for who she is.

FLUTTERSHY IS BEST FREAKING PONY!!!!

This website same to hate any character who isn't rainbow dash and applejack. Fluttershy is far more superior then those two combined.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12