Warriors Return 377 members · 90 stories
Comments ( 31 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 31
FenrisianBrony
Group Admin

Hello everypony! (Or everybody if you want to be boring and human and all that)
Anyway, the purpose of this is two fold:
First off, holy fudge nuggets, when did 88 members happen? Or for that matter 3 forum posts? I totally missed this stuff,
Second of all, in the interest of possibly getting some order into this group, would anybody be receptive to a writing challenge? Something along the lines of you have (x) months to write your version of a character going to (x) universe/(x) character going to a universe of your chosing? These could be one-shots dealing with the pony in question getting used to life back home, or slightly longer, more normal stories for the group, but are written just for the contest.
So, let me know if you guys would be interested, otherwise I'll just disappear again. :twilightblush:

I might be interested, especially if there's a goodly amount of time to get it done in.

3782106 I could see this being interesting, how much time would we have?

Because if this is something I can do... well... I've been waiting for a chance to strap augmentations on a lost and confused pony, possibly after an attack on a certain Sarif Industries :twilightsheepish:

FenrisianBrony
Group Admin

Depends on how much time people want. I was thinking a month or two to make a start? Clearly not to finish it, as that would take way way longer.

3782306 Hmm... a month or two to get it off the ground... holiday season coming up... ideas itching in the back of my head...

Would there be restrictions on which ponies we can send to different universes where horrible things presumably happen to them?

FenrisianBrony
Group Admin

To make it a competition wouldn't there have to be some common factor? Either everyone writes the same pony, but in a different universe, or everyone writes from the same universe, but with a different pony. Or at least some common theme.

3782316 Hmm...

I could see both of those factors being rather limiting, I'd personally prefer some other unifying theme.
Some people would have lots of trouble writing a certain character well (for example- I love RD, I am sure as hell I can't write her well at all. A different character however, I might write superbly, but someone else just can't find the words.). Tying it all to one universe would bring up similar issues- If it had to be in say... the WH40K universe well, I'd know next to nothing aside from the fact that Tyranids are bad news/or somebody else wouldn't know anything about... the Mass Effect universe for instance.

Honestly I'd consider the whole premise to be a unifying enough theme, "Warrior's Return". Maybe a similar starting premise that can branch off and allow people to use their talents to get as close to the full extent as possible?

FenrisianBrony
Group Admin

I guess, although isn't it then just writing for the group rather than a specific competition. But yeah, I do see your point about limiting factors. I like the idea of the same start, but then it can branch off from there though, could tie them together enough,

3782366 Go with the multiverse and maybe you could even have them see little flashes of others popping around the multiverse.

Any ideas for a common then branching start?

I don't know, I really prefer a more specific theme, it gives me somewhere to start coming up with ideas.

I do agree about not limiting it to a specific character, but I'd like a good place to start.

FenrisianBrony
Group Admin

Hmm, ideas.
Bermuda triangle type thing? They disappear and have to come back within a few minutes Equestrian time, but it's been years for the disappearing question.
Or have it being a common theme of having the pony going to a fantasy setting, as we don't have any of those I don't think.

3782508 I was thinking something along the lines of the Bermuda Triangle equivalent, yeah.
Perhaps the premise could be something along the lines of going to see/investigate/scope out/gawk at/whatever verb you want, a thing, and inadvertently activating it?

3782500 Honestly I do think more open options for a setting would benefit, if it had to be a fantasy setting like Fenrisian proposed, a lot of the sci-fi people would probably feel a bit lost.

Maybe a better idea would be having whatever universe you choose have a central element in common with others? Oppression? Civil wars going on somewhere? Some shared characteristic like that maybe? Mass Effect and Lord of The Rings both have oppressive governments and the like, there's a similarity, surely one could find a way to have something like that tie in?

Maybe a better idea would be having whatever universe you choose have a central element in common with others?

That's the kind of idea I like! Gives one somewhere to start, gives the stories a common theme, but leaves things open enough for everybody to participate.

FenrisianBrony
Group Admin

3782627 3782500
Ooh, that last idea is a good one. After they get where ever they are going the universe has to have a certain aspect to it, such as a revoloution in progress, a war with some outside power or something along those lines.
That way it could be sci-fi, fantasy or even modern, but still be tied together.

Exactly!

That way everypone can get what they want, and they'll all still be related!

Any ideas for central themes or are we sticking with a revolution in progress?
I like revolutions :twilightsmile:

FenrisianBrony
Group Admin

Revoloution could be a good one. I'll try and think of a larger spiel for the competition tomorrow when I get home.

3782749 Well alright then!

Have a safe trip?

ponybornhuman
Group Admin

I could try my first story here if interested enough

Great to see you're both interested! Could I ask what you both thought of the idea for a shared core element among universes?

3783374 Is this a universe of your own creation?

Probably have to make sure that's okay with Fenrisian...

ponybornhuman
Group Admin

How about twilight sparkle returns from the warhamer 40k universe how will the others deal with the new twilight what happens when chaos/orks/tyrainds invade (haven't decided on badguys yet)
:twilightblush:

ponybornhuman
Group Admin

here an image of what twilight would sort of look like

3783476 Well, it'd have to somehow have some central theme or element, that has yet to be decided.

Though it's probably fine. You'd want to cover just what happened to poor Twilight though.

ponybornhuman
Group Admin

sorry for so many comments but just asking what would the max word be???

3783532 There wouldn't be a "Max word count."

This is the start of the story, it'd be rather unreasonable to expect people who want a big adventure to curb their word count and story to fit in with a timeframe and word count limit. You'd basically be entering the beginning if you did a big story.

If you have a short one then the issue would be moot, assuming I understood Fenrisian.

FenrisianBrony
Group Admin

Yeah, that's pretty much it. As a guy who loves writing big stories, I'd hate to be limiting people to the length of theirs.

As long as it fits the central theme, go nuts. Canon, historical, futuristic, past, your own design, whatever floats your boat.

A p-pony I-I-Inquisitor?!

ponybornhuman
Group Admin

Not heresy at all ok
And death to the false emperor :pinkiehappy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 31