The General's Battlegrounds 275 members · 187 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

What is your favourite battle strategy and why?

My favourite is the one from the battle of Austerlitz, why? Because Napoleon was able to take the classic military philosophy (the high ground is always the best position) and turn it against his enemies.

DISCUSS! (and no flame wars)

The one that wins the battle for me.

3020049 You are no fun...

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

Ah, Austerlitz, Napoleon's greatest victory and the battle that ended the Holy Roman Empire... Such a classic.

I personally rely on discipline and utilizing strengths to win my battles. We lack numbers? Make us impossible to hit. We lack speed? Then force them to us.

Stuff like that mainly.

Winning isn't fun?

I just follow whichever seems best for the situation, trying to create your own personal style like it's some kind of martial art is a death sentence. it depends mostly on the enemy's force concentration. Looser ones are more susceptible to infiltration, weak spots can be a schwerpunkt target, heavy saturation of the line before a broad front advance, or a more classic defense-counter attack option. Whichever one works.

3020041 Well, my favourite battle strategy has to be where you have a few thousand soldiers, and you make them charge towards the enemies entrenchments. :pinkiecrazy: Basically you drown the enemy in your blood and corpses, eh. :trixieshiftright:

3020041 outlast the enemy by defending until they tire from attacking and then you strike.

And what if you're too tired to follow; or worse, they actually break through?

3020115 Let me guess, because glory!

3020283 Yes, and because the Emprah demands it! :pinkiecrazy:

3020174 Well if they break through or we tire we didn't deserve victory.

Damn, ok.

3020443 Never run,Never waiver,Never surrender,Only VICTORY!
"TheTruth 3/6/2012 5:09PM"

3020041 3020076

My favorite pre-gunpowder kind of fighting would have to be one I formulated playing the Medieval II Total War Mod Thera: Legacy of the Great Torment.

It involved playing as the Gaelic Tribes, and I used their warriors for great effect.

First off is my longbowmen. These are my killly at range units. They are out front and center in the beginning of battle, just ahead of the center line of heavy claymore infantry. They deploy stakes so that charging the archers or the claymores behind them with cavalry is a no-win scenario. As the enemy infantry get closer, the longbowmen retreat behind the claymore heavy infantry and situate themselves between the second line of pike infantry. Infantry that guards both the archer's and the heavy infantry's flanks. By then Melee has joined, with cavalry making foolish flanking charges into the pikes and subsequently getting scattered. The withering fire from the longbowmen, combined with the stakes, pikes, and claymores, provides sufficient incentive for the enemy to flee.

And that's how I beat my Thera Gaelic Campaign.

something line agincourt where terrian is turned on the enemy to reder there advantages a moot point.

3020041 This,[youtube=DHIfzZhFipA]

3020041 I try not to use too much strategy. There are times, I've been forced to change tactics in the middle of a battle. But my favorite tactic, would be Lee and Jackson at Chancellorsville.

Holding the fucking line like a true guardsman should.

Also, lods of artillery.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19