The Shimmerverse 354 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
Evowizard25
Group Admin

Hello and welcome my faithful viewers. Today I wanted to talk a bit more about Self-levitation and it's utilization. Now I know I already went through some of the basics in Can I Fly?, a story I think you'll all enjoy, I wanted to touch on some aspects that I didn't there because I'm not going to discuss military tactics with an innocent filly. What do you take me for?

First thing's first, the basics of levitation. Now both for the Shimmerverse and Canon, levitation is a staple ability of all unicorns. We see it all the time to hold items, whereas pegasi can use their wings and Earths use their versatile tails. I go over the basics of the three tribes, in the Shimmerverse that is, here. Now the thing with levitation is that it has its limits based on the unicorn themselves. This comes down to a few factors:

1: Core Strength: Now with canon unicorns, their magic seems to be internal. As with most internal magics, each unicorn has a set minimum and maximum state of output which, for the most part, can't really be overcome with regular means. While there are exceptions, such as Starlight Glimmer, Sunset Shimmer, Twilight Sparkle, and Rarity {she's shown talent and skill that seems incredibly exceptional and I doubt what we've seen has really pushed her to her limits in magi terms}, most unicorns have a standard measurement of magic control. Something I'd wager as up to half their body weight or a little bit over.

As with all internal powers, there comes the risks of overheating which can burn out a human either leading to physical harm, the inability to use their magic excessively again {or in extreme cases at all}, or in the worst case scenarios, death. As such, unicorns would be advised to not push themselves unless supervised. If a unicorn were to be dropped out of a hot air balloon and their only means of survival was to levitate themselves, a vast majority of unicorns in the canon world would burn themselves out in the attempt with some effectively killing themselves from the attempt before they even reached the ground.

{Note: Shimmerverse} With Shimmerverse unicorns, core strength is not an issue since they take their magic from the Realm of Magic themselves so they have the ability to use much more magic and stronger then with a core strength method. However, there are still limits to this given that they can only draw in so much power at a time and how much they can use varies between magic users.

2: Endurance: Unicorns have the lowest set of endurance of all three tribes. This isn't surprising since magic is their primary means of both offense and defense and many spells can end a fight no problem. However, prolonged bouts of exertion can be detrimental and lead to collapse. As levitation is a passive ability, it doesn't eat away so readily in a unicorns magic reserve as long as you use it on items or beings that you can hold readily.

However, as we see with Starlight and Twilight's fight, unicorns can eat up their reserves very quickly. While magic stores can quickly replenish given time, in a battle, time is not something to afford.

3: Focus: Now with spells like levitation a unicorn needs to focus on their objective. This means a state of calm and control. However, in the thick of things, this can easily be shattered and it takes excessive training that holds only partial success with some unicorns. {Dodging swords and arrows can break anyone's concentration.}

{Note: Shimmerverse} Concentration for Shimmerverse unicorns is much easier to obtain given their advanced sense of self. Their brains are hardwired to evaluatue and process so much information and so quickly that it's easier for them to keep focus. Still, given how often they had to go to war, many lost themselves to their fears and it cost them dearly.

With so many variable, self-levitation can only be used effectively by a small percentage of a core magic based species, with only some of them getting the necessary training. Now in the cannon verse, given how unicorns were in a state of a feudal society based around their own superiority, such individuals would be highly sought after.

On the battlefield, self-levitating unicorns would be akin to Lord-Knights, leading regular unicorns into battle. Given their scarcity, they would only be used sparingly and only in some cases. They'd probably get several high privileges and given respective responsibilities akin to dukes. As is, most of them wouldn't have gone into the fight and many of the present duke families are descended from them.

Now for the Shimmerverse, self-levitation is much more common. Their roles were used as shock troops during battles with Earth ponies, providing cover and support to fellow units. The reason is that self-levitation gives users advantages against ground based opponents. They are hard to hit, it gives them a much better line of sight, and can damage opponents from a safe distance. However, there was one invention that helped fight self-levitation.

The Crossbow.

Effective at firing at moving targets, easy to reload and quick, and allows for continuous fire. This invention was invented by the pegasi as it helped them fight and ambush their griffon enemies much easier, since they could fire and reload laying down inside clouds. The weapon was picked up the the Earth ponies and used extensively during their battles with the unicorns. As such, self-levitation needed the support of ground troops to be effective and keep sharp shooters off them.

Self levitation itself wasn't used often against pegasi since pegasi had increasingly high speeds that unicorns could never match, tired out the unicorns whereas pegasi can fly for several hours-days, and made sure that unicorns couldn't focus on as much as they could as they had to keep a part of their minds working on keeping themselves airborne. Combined with the pegasi's ability to use clouds as camouflage, weather ability, and elemental usage, unicorn generals were hesitant to ever listen to the noble's desire to take pegasi cities. Very few in the Shimmerverse were ever attempted. Mostly because this was before the invention of airships, so they had to rely on the brittle wing spell and floating on clouds. Needless to say, this often led to massacres with few exceptions.

The glitterwing spell would be created to give unicorns more flyers, but again, given their fragility, wouldn't be used much in combat and scrapped, only being picked up by noble's to please their daughters.

So in recap:

Strengths:

1: Effective against ground troops
2: Gives better line of sight
3: Gives ample room to escape

Weaknesses:
1: Slow speed {Starlight was going about as quickly as Rarity idly with her wings. As in, an eight year old pegasi or younger.}
2: Vulnerable to flying troops
3: Wears out users over time.

I hope you all found this useful. :twilightsmile:

Actually Endurance is one of the primary statistics from which Strain, Versatility, and Potency is derived. So they're the most durable.

Spellcasters start with a Potency, equal to (END / 2) rounded up, and Strain equal to (30 + [END x 3] + [INT x 3]). Spellcasters gain (END + INT) Strain each level.

Spellcasters start with a Versatility, equal to (INT / 2) rounded up, and Strain equal to (30 + [END x 3] + [INT x 3]). Spellcasters gain (END + INT) Strain each level.

Telekinesis
(Cost: 1 per attack or per 10 minutes): The easiest and most basic spell, Telekinesis is usually the first spell learned by a unicorn. This spell allows a Unicorn to move (Potency * Versatility) objects, or perform fine manipulation on up to (Versatility) objects. Fine manipulation is required to use a skill with the affected objects (such as picking a lock or firing a weapon). Telekinesis has a range of (5 * Potency) yards; however, (Science) skill roll is necessary to use Telekinesis to move objects outside of your line of sight or telekinetically grasp a target in combat. Attempting fine manipulation of objects outside of your line of sight requires a skill rank of at least 70 in the associated skill.

The weight of an object is irrelevant for the purposes of Telekinesis -- while the object is under the effects of Telekinesis, the object is considered weightless. (In reality, any heavier object is reduced to about the weight of a baseball.) The caster may attempt to move or manipulate any object which fits into a cube of space equal to (Potency) feet on each side. A potency of 4 is required to lift an adult pony, 3 for an adult pony with the Small Frame trait, and 2 for a foal. Self-levitation, the act of affecting oneself with Telekinesis, is exceptionally hard, costing 15 Strain a turn merely lighten oneself, and requiring a Science check at a -30 penalty each turn to maintain. If the caster has at least two ranks in Mighty Spell for Telekinesis, she may achieve telekinetic flight through self-levitation for the cost of 30 Strain a turn, equivalent to Flight Rank 1. Self-levitation can not be zen cast.

The caster’s effective Strength for attacks using Telekinesis (such as making a melee attack with a telekinetically wielded weapon) is equal to her (Potency +1). Her Potency for calculating effective Strength is not modified by any ranks of Mighty Spell; however, she gains a +1 bonus on opposed rolls for each rank. Opponents in possession of an item may make an opposed test against the caster’s effective Strength using their (Strength+2) to contest the caster’s attempt to manipulate the item. Targets may make an opposed test against the spell’s effective Strength using their Strength or Agility at a penalty equal to the degrees of success on the caster’s Science roll (up to a maximum penalty of -3, this cannot reduce the target’s effective Strength or Agility below 1) to break out of a telekinetic grip. Targets who have a means of propulsion, such as wings or a nearby surface to kick off from, can use (Strength+2) with no penalty. A target may fire a projectile weapon as part of this opposed Strength check. This shot is unaimed, they lose AP in an amount equal to (weapon AP -5, minimum 10) on their next turn. If firing a projectile weapon to get out of a telekinetic sheath, use the weapon’s strength requirement (with no bonus) for the check. Heavy weapons and projectile-weapon battle saddles always kick a character out of a telekinetic field -- no roll required. Heavy weapons and battle saddles (not including those which fire magical energy), will kick themselves out of the caster’s telekinetic control with the first shot. This can be extremely hazardous to the caster if the weapon has a rate of fire beyond one.

Strain recovers naturally with rest. An hour of normal activity recovers 5 strain. An hour of light activity recovers 10 strain. An hour of rest recovers 15 strain. An hour of sleep recovers 20 strain. Additionally, the character gains a bonus to strain recovery each hour equal to half her level (rounded down) during rest and equal to her level during sleep.

Should a unicorn choose to cast a spell which has a Strain value greater than their remaining Strain, they must check Endurance with a penalty equal to ([the total amount they have exceeded their Strain limit] / 10) rounded down with each additional spell. Failure causes the spell to fail and immediate magical burnout. While suffering magical burnout the Unicorn cannot cast -any- spells, and suffers a -5 to all checks from distracting pain. While in burnout, all Strain recovery rates are reduced by 10 (to a minimum of 0). The effects of Burnout remains until the unicorn has either recovered to full Strain or has gained a permanent increase in Endurance (such as from the Extra SPECIAL perk).

Evowizard25
Group Admin

5068223 :rainbowderp: Whoa. Did you get that from somewhere, or did you come up with that yourself? Just asking because it's rather interesting.

5068259 It's the Unicorn magic rules from the Fallout Equestria: PNP Player's Handbook.
But basically what you said. Flight Rank 1 is not fast by any means, foals get Rank 1, Griffons cap at 2. Adult pegasususes start at 2. And -30 strain every turn when you probably only have at most 60-70. So you can fly for all of 12 seconds, but it takes most of your concentration to do so, and adding anything else to it will either burn through more Strain(casting magic) or use up AP and put yourself into danger(firearms).

Evowizard25
Group Admin

5068266 Ah, I'm not familiar with that.

5068270 Tabletop system crafted for Fallout Equestria.

Evowizard25
Group Admin

5068277 Well, I don't read much Fallout: Equestria, didn't read the original 'novel', so yeah. :twilightblush: Heh, I'll try and give it a read.

5068287 "novel" uh it more than fulfills the requirements for being a novel. It's waaay over 50,000 words...
And yeah. I really liked Fallout Equestria a lot, and Kkat is an absolute peach.

I think Rarity has a lot of field dexterity (the ability to levitate many things in her power in precise ways) but not a lot of raw POWER, she mostly just levitates those light little mannequins and rolls of fabric.
Other than that, I think you've gotten a pretty good handle on canon levitation. It seems incredibly rare and difficult, if Twilight can't do it when she is falling to her death. I think when unicorns normally levitate something, they are in some way pushing "against" the ground, so self-levitation is pushing "oneself" against the ground, which requires not only a large magical output, but also an extremely difficult mindset to achieve.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10