The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Well, Soaring is back with another realistic review based off little ponies who scurry around with three left hooves...

...I think that's the right fandom, right?

Anyway, I realized I was gone for a while; so I needed to do a review fast. Real fast.

So, here's a fiction that I was happy to read, because...

1. ScootaBelle makes me smile.
2. Ships are great to read after reading so much dark material... (Flannery O'Connor).

Well, let's get into this simple romance fic, shall we?

My Thoughts

Well, this fiction is fairly simple. It depicts how love as a teenager after a nice prom night works. We've been in this situation before, and for ponies, it looks like it is no different.

So, let's take a dive into what made this fiction eye-grabbing.

1. Simple language - This factor alone makes it easy to read, and therefore, easier to understand. However, this doesn't mean it isn't creative in structure and portrayal. This fiction does a fine job at meeting simplicity with creativity. Fine job.
2. Transitions - Every time I read a fiction with this low of a word count, I wonder how well this author really did in terms of transitions. Transitions is still a huge problem whenever I write, so I took how this author, ThatOneWriter, switched between characters. For what it is, I believe the transitions fit well in the places this author has set them. The dialogue especially, because it feels like they would say what they had said.
3. Characterization - This is a topic not many dive into unless they want to get their pants dropped... in acid. For this fiction, the characterization we are given is little in the beginning, but as we progress; it is drawn out well and by the time I finished the piece, I thought of the story highly, henceforth the *Must Read* rating.
4. Setting - Simple and well, in Scootaloo's place. It was definitely something different in that case, but otherwise, the setting was described as it should be.

Drawbacks

I used to do this in a different fashion, but now since I see this fiction, I started to wonder...

...why haven't I done it this way?

1. Word choice - The story's grammar is great, except in some spots where I had to reread portions of it due to awkward choices of words. They are, as I stated previously, grammatically correct, however, some words were used closely in nearby sentences (such as pull), or some whole phrases were restated without changing a bit of wording. I think with a proofreader, this fiction's word choice errors could be fixed. I don't supply them here, because it's better to find them on your own, then just me telling you of them. Searching for the problem is how you learn, not by someone telling you of the exact location of the error and doing it for you.

2. Too simplistic? - Simple story with not much creativity in terms of content, but I think that's how this story was meant to be taken. The opportunities this story has in terms of expansion, such as a prequel or what have you, is high, but the fiction has not capitalized on it. As a result, this just doesn't fit the masterpiece category on the basis of its simple concept. It needs to be something more for me to give you that rating. It has to give me that emotional impact or amazing reader reaction. This story doesn't do that. Instead, it gives me those little warm fuzzies you get when you read something that makes you smile, which definitely earns something more than a simple recommendation.

The F:yay:cking Verdict

*Must Read* is the rating I give this fiction. As I stated before, everything that was done was done to perfection, yet, there is so much more opportunity that lies in the concept that could make this something even more. Hopefully some day down the road, dear author, you will expand on it, and I will be waiting....

...to give it a like and a favorite.

Biker_Dash
Group Admin

3972106 This is one I shall take a look at.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

It got an upvote from me, but didn't quite cross the line into favorites.

I think it would have, had it explored the relationship further—though I think "Masterpiece" for me here would have been "convincing me to switch from SweetieBloom to ScootaBelle".

3972150 Agreed.
It just needed more, which is why I kept it at the Must Read rating.

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you liked my story! :twilightsmile:

I've thought about going back and implementing a few suggestions I've been given (most notably, the ones in JATL's review), but I've never gotten around to it. Perhaps I will if I get a good enough prequel/sequel idea. For now, I don't think there's much to add to it beyond relatively nitpicky stuff, so I've just left it. I could nitpick all day, but then I'd never get anything done.

Somedayâ„¢, I will clean up and rewrite all of my stories. Or at least the better ones that need to go from "good" to "great".

Those darned shipping wars. Can't we agree to love all kissy pones equally? Or at least the ones I write? :ajsmug:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6