The American Civil War 71 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24
Eagle
Group Contributor

Do you know of any good video games showing the war? I don't, so I'll just say what would be cool to see, you can do the same.

If anyone's familiar with the Total War series, then you probably understand how good the realism and gameplay is. Wouldn't it be great to see something like Total War: Civil War or something like that? To be able to change the outcome of the war entirely? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

lordvad3r95
Group Admin

2560656 I'd play it, although I'd always end up fighting for one faction *cough* Union *cough*. That would be insanely fun.

Eagle
Group Contributor

Hey, I'd play both sides. I love the South, but I'm glad we lost, otherwise we would've never accomplished all we did as a nation further on. And it'd be fun to command Sherman's March to the Sea.

But don't tell me you wouldn't try to re-write the history at least once, every TW fan does it.

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

Problem is there aren't that many games. It's hard to do a FPS for a muzzle loading rifle with rate-o-fire of three shots per minute. I play Gettysburg which I think came out along with the movie, and I do have a PS2 game that was a FPS developed partially by the History Channel (strange enough it has nothing to do with alien, Hitler, or the End Days)

lordvad3r95
Group Admin

2560680 Okay, okay, I'll admit my curiosity would probably render my previous point moot. I'd love to see how the war would have ended up if it had gone another way.

As an added note, I don't hate the South. Strongly pro-Union, but I respect the men who fought and died on both sides. Those idiots at my school waving around the Confederate Navy Jack though.... :facehoof:

bluemoon1996
Group Contributor

I got that game one year for Christmas; it should have been called Reloading: The Game:ajbemused:

lordvad3r95
Group Admin

2560696 I remember that game! I also remember having to stick with my revolver because the rifle took so long to reload.

Eagle
Group Contributor

I know, I've played the history channel one. But I wouldn't want an FPS, I'd want a grand strategy game; that's the best way to do it.

The navy jack? I can't say I've ever seen it. You don't mean the Stars & Bars, do you?

lordvad3r95
Group Admin

2560734 This is the Navy Jack, also called the Stars and Bars:

It"s also widely mistaken for being the Confederate National flag, which it was not. This is the national flag of the Confederacy, albeit the final one:

Problem is, the Confederacy tended to change it's flag more times than most people change their socks, so nailing down one national flag is a challenge unto itself.

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

I am a staunch Unionist myself despite being a Texan, but I also respect the Texans who fought for the South (and the North as well). Who am I to hate them for fighting for their home?
You mean there is a southern state that doesn't use the "Southern Cross"? Ok Texas uses the First National, which probably why we can get away with having it fly over our capital.

Also I agree, RTS is the perfect format

lordvad3r95
Group Admin

2560768 Indeed. Although, I must say that my pro-Union stance is also in no small part due my state's heritage during the war. Wisconsin was very, very Unionist during the war, and was the only state to regularly overfill its troop quota.

Eagle
Group Contributor

Nope, Louisiana's state flag is this-

I think the Stars & Bars were actually just the unofficial battle flag carried by the field soldiers that was most popular, which is why I don't have a major problem with it (going back on the respect thing) and I can't say I'd like the Duke's Charger without it painted on top.

I think one of the most widely used state flags for the Confederacy was the Bonnie Blue

Though like you said, it changes constantly, and they never established many official things.

Eagle
Group Contributor

I just stabbed and slashed everyone with my sword.

bluemoon1996
Group Contributor

I did too:ajbemused:

PraiseTalos, I got a Xbox:facehoof:

Toffee Bean
Group Contributor

2560656 Why do you need a game for the civil war.

Monochromatic Rainbow
Group Contributor

2560656 *cough* Em... There is a WIP mod for Empire: Total War that changes it to ACW. I think it was called the Brithers versus Brothers mod? Or something to that tune. It's empire, naval battles aren't really done yet, and, being Empire, runs like crap... But...

There is something fun about alt history scenarios...

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

Because we have too many about WWII?

Toffee Bean
Group Contributor

2562184 Yay I have to agree with that.

The Descendant
Group Contributor

The Scourge of War series! I've only had a few chances to play it, because it is Windows-only and I'm a Mac man, but it was as close as I've ever seen it come to "being done right". I was actually yelling at the avatars! "By file into line, boys!" "Keep up your fire! Keep up your fire! Keep it hot!" The librarians were all very confused!:rainbowlaugh:

There are three mods for it.

Gettysburg...

Antietam...

... and Chancellorsville!

Eagle
Group Contributor

Interesting; I'll have to look at it.

2562681 those look like the Take Command games

The Descendant
Group Contributor

I believe they use the same graphics engine.

3831763 I've played all three of the History Channel's Civil War games.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24