The Gem Hunters 263 members · 195 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
blowngasket
Group Admin

It is as the title says. We have been way to complacent, letting the stories pile up, and not doing a thing about it. I for one am not gonna be a quitter, but I need to know I am not alone with these thoughts. As much as I would like to be able to handle it alone, we all need to work together to salvage this group. So if anyone is in, please feel free to speak up.

superpony55
Group Admin

Yeah, I need to review some more stories.

I submitted a fic a few minutes ago.

I'm all for seeing this group more active. There's a lot of fics in that Incoming folder, but with a few reviewers helping you out, you should be able to sort it out in a week or two if you all work closely together. :twilightsmile: I recommend starting a skype chat to organize things, perhaps even recording a log for accepted fics and who the reviewer is, etc.?

blowngasket
Group Admin

2828219 We all do. The inactivity has definitely made this more difficult.

2828274 Not a bad idea. A more organized system would help with getting the stories done more efficiently. We aren't as much of a review group as a grading group, but doesn't stop me from posting my thoughts. :twilightsmile:

Well it would certainly allow for more consistent grading throughout the reviewers, and allows authors / reviewers to request fics for reconsideration or re-review. I wouldn't advise having each reviewer leave full and detailed reviews, though. There's a reason why EQD avoid that.

Also, just thought I'd point out that the mature fics in the dirty gemstones folder aren't categorized, in case you weren't already aware.

blowngasket
Group Admin

2828312 It is a weird folder glitch. Honestly have no clue how to fix that one. If you click a few there are actually stories in them.

We only leave more detailed reviews on the stories that need them. Other than that, we really only have to give an appropriate grade depending on the quality.

Ah, a strange bug indeed. I just noticed that the order in that folder is a little wonky, though.

Other than that, I think I'm out of suggestions for now. I'll be back if I think of any more.

blowngasket
Group Admin

2828341 Thank you for offering though. Any and all help is appreciated.

You'll notice the incoming folders in Twilight's Library are the same way. The just seems to be a site glitch where subfolder fanfic counts don't get updated properly.

Of course, some of my other subfolders do have counts. Maybe they just stopped updating at some point.

--arcum42

blowngasket
Group Admin

2828378 Nice to know it wasn't my fault at least :pinkiehappy: Any protips for running a group like this? I am sure you should have some tasty nuggets of knowledge...pwease? :fluttershysad:

Well, being on the trending list does wonders for group size, so promoting until you get 35 or so new members never hurts. As you've probably already determined, you can't delete fanfics from a folder unless you are an admin (or you submitted it). The whole contributor system in TL was originally somewhat of a workaround for that.

When things grind to a halt, I have a tendency to pick up a few more contributors, so it might not be a bad time to look for a new reviewer or two. We actually have people fill out an application, and put it in a google doc, where several admins comment on whether they think they should be accepted, then I make the final decision.

Having good communication between admins is really important, and one of the biggest issues TL has been facing. That and inactive admins/contributors.

Oh, creating a group fimfiction account and giving a few admins access can be very useful.

I've got to go, but I suspect Danceswithknives may have a few suggestions...

--arcum42

blowngasket
Group Admin

2828580 Much appreciated, and thank you.

I may have said this before, but it might help if you limited submissions to one story per person. What I mean by this is that each user can have only one story in the "incoming" folder at a time. This would prevent story flooding and may make it easier for the reviewers.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15