MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

Hoof Done It

This stunk to high heavens. Remember Zipp's distrust of Misty in the last episode? All that is thrown out.

Misty steals Sunny's lantern, then instead of taking it to Opaline, buries it in the garden. When Zipp starts her investigation, Pip finds the lantern, and decides to keep it for the time being, because Zipp is having so much fun trying to find it. That is so immensely stupid to do. Especially when she knows her friend Sunny is really hurt by it having been stolen.

It gets even worse when Zipp finally corners Misty, and Pip intervenes to stop the accusations. She admits to her stupid plan. The problem is suddenly none of the characters care that the lantern ended up stolen at all, so Misty gets off scot-free.

The worst so far.

Have You Seen this Dragon?

This one makes more sense, but is still a let down. Misty kidnaps Sparky, but he escapes her clutches and causes mishap after mishap in the Bright House. There is little focus on Misty and Sparky's adventures anyways. Most of the episode centers on Sunny and friends trying to find him.

Not much to say, it's not the worst thing the show has done. Opaline at least gains more power at the end, becoming an alicorn.

Overall thoughts on the show thus far:
Bad, just not in any particularly interesting ways. Asides from Hoof Done It, little stands out; most of the poor episodes are bland or inoffensive. I stand by previous statements, that the show is like a mix of G3 and G4. It may have more world building and stakes than G3, but it feels just as banal. It is not the worst or most cynical thing the MLP brand has gone through (looking at you, Newborn Cuties.) That said, there is not much here.

Let me know all of your thoughts. Have a great day, everyone!

Yeah, MYM's incredibly directionless and none of the characters actually feel like characters.
(The biggest clue was in the cutie mark swap episode where their personalities were so similar you could barely tell anything about them had changed outside of the marks. Both Hitch and Sunny are in leadership roles that want to help others, so what does switching that actually change about them?)

Things just...happen to them and they barely react to it before moving on to the next item on the checklist.

Humanity
Group Admin

This confirms the fears I have always had after the debut movie. G5 is a devolution back into what MLP was before Lauren Faust breathed new life into the series.

It’s depressing to see so many in the fandom desperately clinging to G5 at this point despite what a failure it is by comparison. They aren’t adoring it because they’re seeing something we’re not. It’s an addiction that they can’t bring themselves to break. Yes, we all need something to keep us going in the face of what a sorry state the world is in, but do you have to lie to yourself for it?

There’s no real passion to be had in discussing the series, even when critically analyzing it. All G5 is now is a cautionary tale. It’s not fun to examine, but it’s necessary all the same.

Not much to say, it's not the worst thing the show has done. Opaline at least gains more power at the end, becoming an alicorn.

Opaline is already an Alicorn. Was that not obvious enough? :/

It's still early days at best. Just wait until we get more aside from TYT. :/

Sad, but true. This show's quality wasn't hard to predict given how the movie was written, so I can't say I'm shocked. MLP became what Faust never wanted it to be: a mindless kid's show.

How about you not jump to conclusions? >:/

Humanity
Group Admin

Does that mean we’re not allowed to take educated guesses either?

Saying Magical Mystery Cure ruined the show at the time it first aired was arguably jumping to conclusions. Everything after that were educated guesses. So many hardline fans kept saying not to jump to conclusions. And look where that got them.

And since G5 is literally built on the practices and patterns that defined and sabotaged late G4, educated guesses are to be expected from anyone who’s been closely analyzing the MLP scene for 10+ years. You don’t spend that long analyzing this content as objectively as possible without picking up how to notice certain patterns and trends and determine where things are going.

I'm outta here.

Humanity
Group Admin

Goodbye. It was nice having you here while it lasted.

Although I will say I’ve never seen anyone leave the group on such an abrupt and ambiguous note.

Now I'm stating to wonder if the villains were right all along and that they did nothing wrong.

I honestly have no problem with people wanting to hope in this show. They can do that if they like, but I'm under no obligation to give G5 a chance. All I can say is, given everything I've seen from the movie and heard from others, this show doesn't give me confidence. The next episodes could be great or terrible, but I don't care. I'm indifferent to G5 and that doesn't look like my attitude will change soon.

Who knows? Maybe the show will justify the villains' actions in the later episodes. Time will tell.

D48
D48 #13 · Oct 8th, 2022 · · 2 ·

It's possible they'll unintentionally justify it like they did with that racist caricature (who's name I forget) telling Twilight she had no business running a school in G4, although I think it's more likely the villain will get the same stupid evil treatment Chrysalis got, followed by an idiotic non-redemption like Starlight Glimmer.

Well, history does repeat itself, so anything can happen.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15