The Character Creation and Writing Academy 140 members · 112 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25
ObsidianPony
Group Admin

This is something I feel is always important to discuss if we want to know what we want to avoid and what others tend to avoid, do you have character archetypes that irritate you greatly?

I can list a few:

1) Show offs who can't back up their claims

2) The fighter who effortlessly wins and inflicts disproportionate injury onto their opponents.

3) The "mystical" and "mysterious" character who is always right about everything ever and anyone who argues with them is demonised.

The idiot. The good guy that's a pretty neat character in a bad fic, but dies, leaving you with the shitty ones.

2296392 Most character types are alright. It's just one thing that I hate.

Boring, one note characters. You know, the ones that only have a certain skill that makes them stand out. They are just so boring that really, you could get rid of them.

2296392 Dunno, the Invincible Fighter makes for a good villain, either as the big bad or as a scarily competent mook.

The characters that tend to annoy me are the Woe-Is-Me who spends the entire story suffering and complaining without any actual plot going on, and the Instant Celebrity (which at times also makes Rarity and RD rather annoying in the show).

It ain't really pony related but the fact that Texans get portrayed as stenson wearing, horse riding, yee-hawing idiots always annoys the f:yay:k out of me

ObsidianPony
Group Admin

I think the Apples are a pretty good representation of the Texan and other southern states; sure they have the stereotypical accents and clothing but they're portrayed as good people and are a tight knit bunch who are also very competent.

And that's why AJ is tied for best pony in my book with :twilightsmile:

The Eastern European Thug one also annoys me... The Cold. War is over Hollywood. You can stop making Ivan the bad guy:facehoof:

ObsidianPony
Group Admin

Invincible fighter doesn't really work as a villain either because fights with them are dull, you know the outcome before the first punch has even been thrown. Again, strong villains are perfectly fine but if you make them TOO strong it removes tension and means that you're pretty much going to have to pull something out of your ass for them to lose, which means their defeat won't be very satisfying either.

ObsidianPony
Group Admin

But then we'd have to perhaps not have Americans be God... that's not right! That's racist!

In all seriousness I'm just more generally done with the "America saves the day" cliche.

Yeah, I'd like to see a game where Russians are good guys for once besides the old Call of Dutys

I always hate it when the 2nd and 3rd are combined into one guy. Also, that one guy that should really stay on the NSWF RP's combined with the "Knight in Shining armor" that restricts the female characters in to never being able to do anything. Those are always the ones that enrage me the most.

ObsidianPony
Group Admin

Recommend Spec Ops: The Line if you want a game where an American is the villain for once.

2298791 To be s fair as possible, sometimes they have Brits or Aussies save the day. I wish they'd do it more... America learned lots of our badass from the limeys. Sorta like Hong Kong, India, South Africa, Singapore, Australia, Canada, the Falkland Islands... well, you get the idea. Speaking as the most mindlessly "America, fuck yeah" Yank you'll probably ever meet, I wish that we got to see more of the folks we learned our badass from save the day.

That dispensed with, one of the character archetypes that annoy me severely are the ones that are ascribed some great moral principle or vast quantities of badass who fold like a cheap lawn chair when there seems to be no hope. We're told a character would fight forever, defiant to the end, but then they do nothing of the sort.

Another archetype that annoys me is the character that's conveniently blind to facts without any explanation. My most handy example of this is the character of Littlepip from Fallout Equestria. Most if not all of the story up to her coming across RedEye is endless flogging of the character trait that she hates slavers and will do irrational things to defeat them. The moment she runs across a silvertongued stallion like RedEye, however, that character trait is turned off for the most part and she takes the idea of "break a few eggs to make an omelette" seriously.

The final archetype that gets under my skin, and this is more of a story trait than a character trait, is the paint-by-numbers way that every author I've ever seen ever writes "coming out of the closest" stories. Naturally, there is no such thing as a standard-issue homosexual or bisexual person any more than there's a standard-issue heterosexual person or any other racial, sexual, ideological, etc person but you wouldn't know that reading these stories. It always includes some kind of social repression. It always includes at least one dear friend who assumes the role of the homophobic rube. It always includes one homosexual person who's out to help the closeted one realize the truth. Said person is always relentless and doesn't seem to care that the person they're "helping" wants no such thing. It always includes the closeted person coming to accept and appreciate the "help." It always ends with the main character being kicked out of the closet and being perfectly happy that way. It often includes the obligatory rube getting their comeuppance or apologizing because they've suddenly got an out-of-the-closest family member too. Inasmuch as there's no one way that someone comes out of the closet and not everyone who wants to drag someone out of the closet is well-meaning, the fact that this story essentially operates as a checklist gets under my skin. There's a zillion ways that Fimfiction.net people ship F/F but it seems like there's two or three ways to ship M/M... and I, for one, would really like to see someone exert themselves and break out of the standard-issue out-of-the-closet mold.

Homo sexual stereotypes. All of them. :facehoof:

ObsidianPony
Group Admin

All of my agreeing. As a bisexual person myself I went through absolutely none of the cliches people like to associate with "coming out", hell mine basically boiled down to realising I was attracted to the same gender and thinking "huh, wouldn't have guessed that" and moving on because I have better things to do than angst over who I do or don't want to go to bed with.

ObsidianPony
Group Admin

Again agreed with coming out of the closet stories. Easy way to tell which ones have been written by people who actually are LGBT or know someone LGBT closely is that they invoke none of these cliches.

Really? Well living in Georgia, all I get is "No Fuckin way" and "You don't look bi", to which my responses are shameful and immediately regretful. It's still better than being atheist and hearing "Your atheist! Well your gonna burn in hell!" So being bi's not TOO bad... I guess :ajbemused:

ObsidianPony
Group Admin

I live in England, people really don't give a fuck over here. We're more concerned about football teams than who's sleeping with who or what gender the other person is.

2298565 It annoys me that the United States as a whole gets portrayed as a bunch of dim-witted fat@$5es.

2299080 Actually, Obsidian, I've never seen such stories written by anyone who isn't LGBT, or at least who does't claim to be. Which trips another of my wires--the apparent taboo against anyone who isn't LBGT or friends with someone who is writing such a story--but that's far down the list.

2298734 Invincible fighter does equal invincible strategist. The heroes having to find a way to defeat or at least contain the villain without going for direct confrontation can make for very interesting stories.

As for the coming out stories, I agree with you. I heavily dislike The-Protagonist-must-be-Convinced-of what-is-Good-for-them stories in general - realizing who you are is a gradual and internal process. The most annoying of them is The-Protagonist-must-Enter-a-Relationship - people can also be happy as singles, and some people are more happy on their own.
I am pretty much the prime example - I am bi but never saw a reason to inform anyone.

Could I ask you what exactly you meant by your comment about LittlePip? Do you mean that she suddenly accepted slavery or that she was blinded by hatred at first and then just stopped caring?

2302580 I meant that she abruptly found it appealing to be the one running RedEye's slave-driven empire if he kicked the bucket. We're meant to believe that slavery repulses her on a fundamental level but she's remarkably sanguine about accepting it as the cost of doing business the moment RedEye cheerfully suggests that she should be the one to run Fillydelphia if his bid to replace The Goddess fails.

Ah. Thank you. I took that part as her head vs. heart moment. The Greater Good vs. The Narrow Road

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25