Bronies who play musical instruments 147 members · 45 stories
Comments ( 39 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 39

It doesn't matter if you're concert band, jazz band, pep band, or marching band. Come, share your experiences with which ever of those you're in.

I graduated, but I was in all of those in High School. :pinkiehappy:

Comment posted by Agent_47 deleted Dec 9th, 2013

2343541 Hmm, I never been in anything like that, but I'm starting stuff in my town with a few musicians. I guess were becoming a band or something, lol.:derpytongue2:

But as far as experiences go, I'm getting ready to find out.

2343571 Ok. That counts too, although I hadn't really thought of that sort of band in this mix.

I was in band since sixth grade back then. I tried for all-state stuff often at first, and actually DID make it once with the bari sax (which I had only started playing a few weeks before the auditions). I started playing bass in the jazz band in ninth grade, and I enjoyed it far more, so I dropped the saxophone, and concert band in general for it. The Jazz 1 group at my school actually made a good enough recording to go to Monterey!

I also did the jazz and show choir's bass stuff. It was pretty different than playing for a band.

Nice. I've been in band for as long as you have, but I'm a trumpet and I've never tried out for all district or anything, although I'm trying out next year. But I am in jazz band, concert band, pep band, and was in marching band (Marching band?! Why u always end so fast?! :pinkiesad2:)
LOL
Marching band starts up in May, but I want it to be quick

2343582 Lol, here is the kicker though, I don't play any actual instruments. I'm a Dj and I just started making Electronic music. But I have helped a few of my school band members out at our school prom a few times working the turntables while they was playing and assortment of instruments.

It was an awesome experience to mix the music like that. :twilightsmile:

TheSheepMaster
Group Admin

I've wanted to be in a band for quite some time, but I'm homeschooled, and I can't seem to find many people near me who play anything at all.

2343638 Again, that's pretty awesome. Also, I count stuff like that as an instrument, because it often takes time to master and perfect your skills when you play it.

2343644 Man. Sorry to hear that. Maybe you could ask your parents to get you a guitar for Christmas, and see if you can get a person to teach you how to play. I'm actually planning to do that with the guitar, so I can join pit in marching band.

I was concert in high school. It was awesome...

TheSheepMaster
Group Admin

Hehe... I play guitar, like five hours today alone...

I just don't have any people near me who also play any instruments.

2343680 Yeah, concert band can be fun. Even though I pay more attention when we have marching band :derpytongue2:
Marching band is my favorite thing to do in high school.

2343697 Oh, ok. If you go to any high school's nearby, maybe you can see if they'll let you join pit, because they may need an electric guitar player. You'll never know. And, it wouldn't technically be school, because marching band is normally not an actual class (and it should stay that way)
You could attend practices and band camp, play in competitions and half time shows, and do stuff in parades.

Cool, that seems like it would've been fun.

Yeah, it is. Even though most people really don't care about our band, we all love it. We do home games, away games, competitions, parades, as well as fun little trips every once in a while.

TheSheepMaster
Group Admin

I might do something like that. I live literally across the street from a high school... Interesting this point you've made is.

2343760 Yeah. There a few people who do something like what I just told you. It would be fun for you, and your parents can get involved with the band-booster program to help with stuff for the band.

I'm in all those except for jazz which I hope to join soon.

I <3 trumpet!

Got a concert tomorrow night, actually. Second of three holiday concerts.

One of our selections is the following arrangement of Hark! The Herald Angels Sing. Imagine it arranged for concert band instead of a synthesizer, and you've got us. Lots of 5/4, and a fanfare at the beginning which is a separate track on the CD.

[youtube=EK59R-HfTGw]

We're also performing selections from "Polar Express."

2343836 I sense you are a fellow trumpet player? :pinkiehappy:
I have only met one trumpet player on this sight, and that's Ghee Buttersnaps. He is a fine sir, and I think you should go and read his story, "The First Duet"

2343860 Cool. What instrument do you play?

Tuba. Thus Beauty Brass / Bluenote has been my avatar for the past 6 months or so in various forms, including her current "Holiday EQG version."

2344647 Cool. I can really respect you as a fellow brass player.

2346380 Yeah. Awesomness all around!

I'm in a symphonic band, playing flute. I can't join jazz band until next year, because I'm too young, but I'm hoping to join with piano.

2642192 Cool. I'm in Jazz band, marching band, concert band, pit band, and pep band.
And, my sister plays the flute

Whoa.

Well then.

And cool! Flute is awesome, although it's hard to play at times.

2658582 Sweet. Concert band is fun most of the time, although marching band is really what I live for.

2658562 Technically, I'm only in jazz, concert, and pep band at the moment, because marching season is done.
And the flute is kinda hard to play. I've actually tried playing my mom's 25 year old flute (which is what my sister uses now) and it ended badly. :ajbemused:

Hahaha, when I was auditioning for the flute the first time, I couldn't make a single sound, not even the airy sound. I was terrible at everything flute, and I was always the slowest learner in the group.
Then I finally figured it out, and then it spread like wildfire for me. Now I'm in a great band at school, and one of the best flutes there.

I think...:trixieshiftleft:

2665977 Kinda the same for me. I was a terrible trumpet player, and then I suddenly became good when I figured out how to get it right. It's actually very easy for me to hit a high C on the B flat scale second octave.

Wow:pinkiegasp: I can hit really high notes as well, because that's what the flute is for. The real challenge is playing a high note very softly. Now that's tricky.

2667504 Yeah. That's the tricky thing with any instrument.

Except for piano. I wish it was that easy on every instrument.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 39