Headcanon Discussion group. 94 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Nope, no hammer time here, and no comedic fashion either... well maybe a little.

I'm on a roll on these. I've already made one on conspiracy and one on racism, ignorance and the likes. But I haven't touched my headcanon on the sense of ponies and time.

No, I'm not talking about the ponies living in a dimension in which time travels faster... or anything you may be thinking of right now.

That would be silly.

I'm talking about the pony calendar, counting and dating system!

Exciting...

And I will go into detail now, but I will not show the chronological order of the episodes, because that would make this a hell of a thread. If you want to go and drink the juice without having the glass to take it ctrl+f, "Headcanon - Stop. Pony Time."

TO EXPLAIN!

:Headcanon - Timeline to Calendar:

As many know already, or others that don't want to, the events of season one to three as Celestia here states, from 5:46 - 5:51.

Sorry for bringing the whole thing, there was no specific scene of this. But hey, why not watch it again. After reading the previous headcanons you will see it in an completely different way.

"I must admit that it's wonderful to actually be looking forward to Summer Sun Celebration."

This statements, as others before and after, suggests that a 'year' has passed since the previous summer sun celebration. And if you have a keen eye you will noticed that I placed quotations when I said 'year', but if you didn't you don't get the cookie.

A repetition of a festivity is not new to people, as many festivities are done once a year; once a cycle of the days that represent a year.

Now, there's many headcanons, hypotheses; thoughts, and big fat diagrams placing the time line of MLP FIM always on a logical pattern.

Spring, summer, fall, and winter, 365 days a year, 4 weeks a month and 12 months a year.

Now, if anyone is a logic seeker of the episode chronological order they should know of Buc555 who made a video talking of the time line. But to sum it up, Buc555 suggests that from the start of season one to the end of season two the show passes through one-and-a-half years. The first being ‘Putting Your Hoof Down’ to ‘Hearts and Hooves Day’, which he considers the last, chronologically.

Obviously after love comes booty, that's why they didn't continue it and Larson happened.

EXPLANATION, SCROLL DOWN TO """"DONE EXPLAINING"""" TO CONTINUE!

Buc555 placed Putting Your Hoof Down even before the show's pilot, where Pinkie and Rarity were Fluttershy's friends before they met Twilight. He goes into more detail about his rationale in a previously-released video, taking into consideration the lack of Twilight and Spike and an assumed inconsistency were it to take place after Dragonshy. I have yet to find said video again, but if anyone find it, link it here. Thanks.

Buc555 passed through six seasons of what we know of, but there were true differences in what he considered of each. He couldn't place a finger on it, it was as if the middle summer was treated completely different than the beginning and ending one. WEIRD ISN'T IT?

It's as if there was a different theory for that. It's not like someone will come up with something. Right?

We need to go deeper. Where did I put by loud gong/trombone sound effect?

He does acknowledge that Fluttershy writes a letter to Princess Celestia in the end, casting doubt upon that interpretation, but says he operates under the assumption that some of the friendship reports may have been written retrospectively, making these episodes essentially flashbacks.

"""DONE EXPLAINING"""

If you read it, this is how you look. Confused, in a ditch and cute.

But here's the thing, I am not going against this headcanon rationality, contrary, I embarrassed it as I make my own. I am saying that buc555 failed to consider the one thing that makes the show unique, the theme of being another species as dominant with their own way of life and culture that is derivative of their own ways and things. World building is awesome.:rainbowkiss:

Then why in the god forsaken hell would the ponies follow our way of placing days and our way of placing seasons.

:Headcanon: Pony Calendar System to Counting:

As many may know, or may not know, our calendar is crazy, I mean there's so much to consider when thinking about it that I have to give you this video for you to understand.

Su much win.

Three hundred sixty five point twenty five days, one of which appears extra after four years, seven days a week and twelve months, each with a sequence of days that looks to have come out of a nightmare of the order.

This would never happen in the MLP FIM universe.

Not only does it mean that they have it different, but it means that if they do the possibility that ponies are descendant of another species that shall not be named becomes more and more apparent.

:trixieshiftleft:

:trixieshiftright:

But back to them, for all that we know they could have different systems in place to get into any kind of dating system and/or time system. There's just too many to choose from this could brought out as many headcanons as there are numbers to count.

Months and year are red bars!

We use twelve in months and hours by its typically attribute to either being the equal number of lunar cycles in a year or the number of finger joints on each hand (three in each of the four fingers, excluding the thumb), making it possible to count to 12 with the thumb. Why would ponies have anything similar?

They would have an eight based system, this is based off the same reasons why we use twelve. They have the similar way to count, but using their legs as a basics, which takes to number eight. And I will not go into detail of the pony anatomy today. Believe me... I know a thing or two about that.

This has been on my closet for some time.

But here's to the counting. Ten to ten is the simplest number system that I deduced they had, not because of culture, but because of one scene, a singing scene.

This for a mathematician, or anyone with a keen for numbers, :rainbowkiss:, will tell you many things, but this means they count from one to ten, because if it was of anything else the result would have varied completely.

Example:
Decimal: 7+7=14
Octal: 7+7=20

Beautiful isn't it? But this is the counting. And because of no religion showed, or no specification of the denial or assurance of this, it shall remain headcanon.

And boy do I love it.

And yes you can hammer now.

:Headcanon - Stop. Pony Time.:

It all happened in a year.

The show.

In a Equestrian year.

100 days, 6 main seasons, and all the fun.

Don't strain yourself Twilight.

Yes, you read right, I'm saying MLP FIM has one hundred days and six seasons, spring, summer, fall, winter and repeat till summer and you got yourself the cycle.

But what I am going for is for the logical one. The one a society bases itself to go for if there's nothing that is beyond their control that they need to be reminded off.:duck: (:Headcanon - Total control:)

So I deduce that they would go for the most intelligent system there is to take. Think about it. The sun comes out when said so, as the moon, there's no moon cycles, there's no sun delays or orbit incongruences. There's only the perfect control.:pinkiesick:

10 sec = 1 minutes
10 minute = 1 hour
10 hours - 1 day
10 days - 1 week
10 weeks - 1 month
10 months - 1 year
10 years - 1 decade
10 decades - 1 century
10 centuries - millennium

Why would it be different?

Well, many reasons actually. But why would it be equal to our own? Unless you are suggesting something?:duck:

The point is, based on many things already showed and explained here. Ponies have different understanding of what a long lived they are, how long their history goes for. I mean hear Discord on 7:22-7:25.

Yes, I like these scenes too.

A thousands moons ago. Of course this could be taken in many ways, meaning that their millennium could be like our own, or as this headcanon places it. As THEIR own. Anything really. I mean really, as a good commenter "VariusMayhem" said on the comments below, old granny smith. And I quote...

Granny Smith said that it was "almost 100 moons since the last family reunion", yet from what we know, Twilight asked in S1, Episode 4 why all the relatives from the time she saw them didn't help in Applebuck Season. AJ's answer? It was due to the Apple family reunion. So since the pilot of the show and the Apple Family Reunion in S3... That's about the time of 100 moons.

So the big question is: How long is a "moon" in pony time measurement?
Certainly not a year, for Granny surely can not live that long. So maybe if Discord says thousands of moons, maybe it was tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands.

So, as I said, anything could me interpreted by this. I mean, one is crazy and the other is so old she sleeps while standing and is carried with ropes and is moved like a puppet.

Ponies could actually have their familiar aging but with a different calendar. I don't know, there's so much to explore here and I am amaized that so little has been brought into it. In stories.

So much can change.:rainbowderp:

Or nothing can.:twilightblush:

Thank you for reading.:yay:

I did place the Gist of it and a ctrl+f to find it.

And I will go into detail now, but I will not show the chronological order of the episodes, because that would make this a hell of a thread. If you want to go and drink the juice without having the glass to take it ctrl+f, "Headcanon - Stop. Pony Time."

If Too Long for you is less than four paragraphs, what are you doing in a site that has a minimun requirement of 1000 words per story.:yay:

Jioplip
Group Admin

2425045 100 days to a year... How old would that make Granny Smith?

I like this headcanon, I also don't see any problems in its underlying logic.

100% approved.

Hold it right there!

He said thousands of moons ago, not a thousands moons ago. Which in my book makes a whole different thing. If you remember Apple Family Reunion in S3, Granny Smith said that it was "almost 100 moons since the last family reunion", yet from what we know, Twilight asked in S1, Episode 4 why all the relatives from the time she saw them didn't help in Applebuck Season. AJ's answer? It was due to the Apple family reunion. So since the pilot of the show and the Apple Family Reunion in S3... That's about the time of 100 moons.

So the big question is: How long is a "moon" in pony time measurement?

Certainly not a year, for Granny surely can not live that long. So maybe if Discord says thousands of moons, maybe it was tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands.

You have to fix this tiny flaw in your headcanon. For it shows that ponies tend to measure time in moons and years. :twilightsmile:

What?:rainbowderp:

A thousands moons ago. Of course this could be taken in many ways, meaning that their millennium could be like our own, or as this headcanon places it. As THEIR own. Anything really.

I did say that it could mean anything and don't tell me you have never heard the term of overexageration or simplyfication. Especially on old people, or crazy people:trixieshiftright:. But yeah, it was a pointer, I could add the one of granny to make it clear that it is a pointer.

Thanks.:twilightsmile:

That's why I said tiny flaw, not breaking flaw. :rainbowwild:
However, since Apple Family reunion, I've been following this term and am glad that they continue to use it. Maybe one day they will go into further detail.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7