Anti-Flash Sentry 176 members · 41 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

When do you think a character that is considered a scrappy deserves redemption and development, a tearjerking death, or endless mocking and abuse?

4340753 Neither of those, at least regarding Flash Sentry. He should just disappear.

Yes, I know. He's a relationship sue thrown in after three seasons where none of the ponies had any serious romantic relationships, was paired with the main character, and he was part of the whole 'this is what MLP is like now, get used to it'.

I'm just wondering what the differences are between scrappies.

The potential to save a Scrappy is dependent on what the Scrappy currently offers. Taking the titicular Scrappy Doo, any number of things could have happened to redeem the character, with one of the movies going the route of making him a villain, though he could also have matured a bit and realized the danger he was constantly in, or similarly actually fought a monster. The problem wasn't just in what Scrappy was, it was in the fact he was more of a space filler than anything.

Flash doesn't have this. Flash's problem is mostly in what he is. His space filler status would be forgivable otherwise, because he stays relatively quiet. But his role as a love interest is entirely what defines him and molds him as a character. Scrappy could be saved by fixing his interactions with monsters, but Flash's issue is that he's basically written and built like your run of the mill self insert fan character, inccoruptibly pure, good looking, and so forth. His issues are so ingrained in him I'm pressed to think of any way he might be saved.

Honestly, I think the thing that hurt him most is probably FlashLight, because had he not had the angle of a love interest, these character flaws could have been chalked up to just him being a boring support character. Thanks to said angle, however, these are traits that instead work to define who he is because he is thrust into the spotlight like a kid who forgot that his science project was due today.

4340753 the first and third one. But for scrappies like Angel Bunny, 2 definitely

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6