Anti-Depression Ponies 1,888 members · 2,428 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Recently, things have been going topsy-turvy for me online. I'm starting to lose friends, subscribers, and followers across various different platforms, and people seem to be treating me more coldly than before. I've been growing increasingly concerned because this type of decline is usually only seen in the midst of a serious controversy. Considering my outreach was already limited, I have no idea what's happening or how far it's spread. I've tried asking around, but no one's been able to give me an answer. I'm starting to feel desperate because I don't know what to do. There's always a clear point of contention for this kind of stuff, but I'm completely lost. I don't know what's happening or why, and it's starting to take a toll on my mental state. What am I supposed to do now? I just don't know...

7962248 Everypony has even less information than you do, so it's unlikely that anypony will be able to tell you what exactly is going on.

I do have a hypothesis though, but it's probably wrong because I'm working with practically 0 data.

I've seen you a lot on this site and I've noticed a pattern about you. You're very focused on the things that you're doing. But you see, that's not what friendship is about. Friendship is the exact opposite. Friendship is about focusing on the things others are doing. In all these years, I haven't seen you do that even once.

You say that others are starting to lose interest in you, but I fear the reverse might be true. You might be the one who didn't have an interest in them from the get-go.

They gave you a chance. Sometimes people are busy and can't give attention to others right away. But when you continued to dismiss everybody else and kept giving priority to your own project, they gave up hope on you.

Perhaps a question is in order, do people really benefit by being friends with you? Yes, you spam them with your pet projects, but besides that, what do you offer them?

I've tried to be there to lend a listening ear when they were having a rough go of it as well, or chilling with them when there wasn't anyone else they could spend time with. There's only so much I can realistically do online, ya know? My best friend who I've known for 12 years had a mental breakdown recently because he was living in almost total isolation. His mom, dad, and stepdad all recently passed away, so he was devastated emotionally. I wish I could fix it, but I don't know how. It's hard seeing people suffer. Even when you want to help, there's nothing you can do. It hurts. It hurts and it sucks, and that's the inevitable conclusion my thought process comes to, because there's nothing more that can be said. The only other solution I can offer is therapy, and most people can't afford it at this point.

7962320 You can't fix people's problems. Only they can do that.

You can, however, offer them an escape from the pain.

Just existing and being there for them is not enough. A wall is there with them as well, and it's not helpful in any way.

What those in pain need is escapism into something better. Some fun activity, attention, someone being curious about them and their hobbies. You know, friends.

I'm just going to be blunt with you. If you were a fun person to hang around with, people would want to hang around with you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4