Anti-Depression Ponies 1,888 members · 2,441 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

This may sound silly to you but the reason why I refuse to believe G5 and G4 are in the same canon timeline is because it kinda saddens me.

I need help into believing that so I can be happy though

Try thinking of G4's end and G5's beginning as a bit of a metaphor for life. Sometimes, the best laid plans just don't work out. We can overlook things that seem minor but which actually make all the difference because we're imperfect (and that's okay); and life can sometimes just throw stuff at us out of nowhere which completely turns our situation upside down, for better or worse. However, even when all seems depressing and hopeless, we can still pick up the pieces and put them back together.

Sunny Starscout knew when she was trying to convince the ponies of Maretime Bay to respect and be kind to the pegasi and unicorns that her actions wouldn't bring back the seemingly utopian Ancient Equestria where Twilight Sparkle was in charge and she and her friends looked after everypony and all was well. The past is the past and can't be changed, after all. However, Sunny did see that it's possible to move on from that, and that even if some things are irreversible and we can't undo time, we can do things in the present that help us reach a more positive future. That's exactly what she and the rest of the new main cast did: they came to terms with the past, set aside their differences and their negativity towards each other, and began working together to return some sense of peace and harmony, and pretty soon, the pony tribes reunited.

Not everything has a happy ending, because that's just how life is, but some things do, and those things are worth celebrating. That's my take on it, anyway.

At least there is alternate universe/timeline fanfictions right?

I like to think it's all the same universe. I don't like seeing happy endings in fiction all of the time because that's not how it works irl, and I think we're lying to ourselves if we say we're going to win every battle in life. If you want to see G5 as a separate AU/timeline to G4, that's a personal choice you've got to make. There's probably plenty of stories that see it that way if that's something you're after, but I can't force you to interpret the lore and the story in one way or the other. You've got to make that decision of whatever makes the most sense to you and whatever makes you feel happier about it. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any more help I can offer, but I hope this helps you a bit.

Generation 5 is, in a sense, a hard truth aesop that nothing lasts forever. Seasons change. Nations fall. And that's natural. The Mane 6 may have passed on, but their legacy never died. What they did mattered in the time in which they lived, and what they fought for never died. The memory of what they achieved made its way to Sunny and her friends. And it lives on in them.

In the Sabaton song Soldier of Heaven, the narrator observes that although he has passed on, nobody has forgotten him; what he and his comrades did lives on in immortality. The same is true here; friendship endured. It survived. Twilight and her friends may be gone, but a new generation is continuing the fight for a better tomorrow.

That’s life. Hasbro does not care about making us happy.

But ailcorns like Twilight are long living though

Gen 5 takes place thousands of years later. Incidental dialogue in Chapter 4 of MYM implies that the effort of creating the crystals either directly killed or severely weakened Twilight.

What line again was it?

I'll go dig through the episodes and find it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12