Anti-Depression Ponies 1,884 members · 2,414 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

During all the years that I've been on this site, I've noticed a pattern when it came to those who had volunteered in helping me. This includes editing/proofreading, cover art, or even YouTube readings of all of my stories. It is that those who have offered up their help to me, especially with my stories, they rarely don't stay for long. I tend to find out that they've somehow lost so much interest that they've never logged on to the site again or that some personal tragedy has happened that prevents from helping me.

I know what you're thinking, "What makes you say that?"

Let me present to you, Exhibit A: PrinceCelestia

For a while, this guy has been responsible for some of the fantastic cover art for some of my stories. He was the guy that I could go to whenever I have a new story and he would do it for free because we respected our talents so much. Several months ago, I asked him to do a cover for a story and he asked me to wait. So I did. I waited for a few days, which turned into weeks. I kept sending him PM, asking what was going on.

Eventually, I got the last email from him that said:

uh yah... some "things" happened (that i will not go into details with you about) and i haven't had access to my computer in a while(because it doesn't exist anymore), i'm typing this in at the library btw, sorry about that. evey time you've asked me to do things something happens so i'm sorry but i can do any more art for a while :fluttershysad:

That, according to the thing, was 24 weeks ago.

Exhibit B: SoleReclaimer

This was one of the editors I had, who I fondly remember to be one of the best editors I had because, not only would he go through my stories, but he would talk to me the themes there were, how it could be improved, and for a while, he was dedicated in editing a certain series that to this day has a place in my heart.

Now, there's something I need to tell you about me and having someone proofreading my stories, is that I'm very easy going with this sort of thing. Whenever someone points out a flaw in grammar or notices a plot hole in a story that I can work with, I rewrite it immediately. But what I like about this editor, was that we talked thought the chat box on GoogleDocs.

He was helping me working through a series that I have written (which contained four stories) and right in the very last chapter of the third one... nothing. Again, I emailed him asking what was going on since he seemed committed to finish the whole thing.

This was the last conversation I had with him:

CrackedInkWell said:
Hey, how's it going?

SoleReclaimer said:
Its going alright. Just at work. Yourself?

CrackedInkWell said:
Things are going okay for me I guess. Did you get to fix your computer? The last time I've heard ya, there was some money troubles to fix your computer that prevented us from editing.

SoleReclaimer said:
Yeah, I'm going to see what we have left after this weeks expenses. But most my money is going into my car. There's something wrong with the engine. Also got rent coming this week... Did you already send me the story? I can see about doing some editing on my phone. I hate to make yea wait. I'm getting used to my phone now as I've been doing little bits of writing of my own when I have free time.

CrackedInkWell said:
I think I already did. Last time I remember, we haven't gotten around to the forth movement of the third story and the forth story is left untouched. If you want me to send both of those stories again, I'll do so. All you have to do is ask.

SoleReclaimer said:
Alright I'll take a looksy then. I'll keep you updated.

CrackedInkWell said:
Thanks.

That was from 41 weeks ago. Since then, I haven't heard a single word from him, and even when I asked if he would volunteer to edit some other stories, there was nothing but silence on his end.

Exhibit C: Isk

This one is the most recent. She, like the others, had volunteered to edit a few stories, including one that she really liked. Like the others, I was patient, have her work on her own time, and I even put the story on hold when she said she needed time off. I even told her that I would wait as long as she needed me to be, to even where I put that story on hiatus.

Yet... Here's her blog that I found just today:

Due to recent events and other causes such as school and work i have made the decision to nolong make any extra work here on the site for myself. I will nolonger be editing. This is my place of happiness and editing kinda ruined if for me, I stopped looking at the site as fun as it changed into another responsibility. Sorry for the inconvenience everypony as i know i have been off the grid for the last 2 weeks.

Yes. Once again, I have just lost another editor.

For now on, I'm putting in a new policy, whenever anybody wants to volunteer to draw me up a cover art, or wants a hand in editing any of my stories, I'm going to give them this warning.

"I'll will tell you, that right here and now, that from many people who had volunteered to help me, they did not last long. By agreeing to help me, you're at risk of money troubles, depression, computer failures, leaving the fandom, or disappear off the face of the earth. Do not attempt to help me unless you are 100% certain that not only can you finish it, but will. Volunteer at your own risk."

My friend, the same thing literally has happened to me. I haven't had an editor in months, because my last one gave a very similar message to the ones you quoted above, and since then, I've been unable to acquire another.

5436362 I've had the same problem. My first editor seemed to disappear of the face of the earth (never replied) and the second one said hey couldn't do it because of computer problems. In the end I just gave up and wrote without one.

5436362 You, uh, didn't happen to piss of a voo-doo priest or something...?

5436699 How would I know? If that were the case, you would think that the one putting the curse would have the courtesy of sending at least a comment saying something like: "By the way, I've just put a spell on you so that anyone that wants to edit your 'stories' would have to endure years of bad luck."

Not that I'm saying it didn't happen, but it's common courtesy after all!

5436448 Well most editors have other stuff to do as well and editing isn't easy and it's not that they don't want to but life happens.

I found this today and it made me kinda sad, I hate to give up on things but I just dont get the time anymore. Especially now. I use to have time to edit and read, but now that I have a two jobs and school I just cant. Its to much mental stress, I was FORCED to stop. I have so much stress now that im at risk of having aneurysms burst. I truly am sorry and I wish I could continue editing but I cant.
My life has fallen apart. I gave up on motorcycles because the second day I was out riding after my cast was taken off I fell and went into shock, was lucky my girlfriend was there to help. I've lost a good paying job due to the injurys of my first crash and found two ok paying jobs. My grandfather died on his trip up to see me. Im having a shity time in generally.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7