Science! in Equestria 508 members · 542 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

During the season 4 finale, I noticed something a little peculiar. You know the scene where Celestia plans for herself, Luna, and Cadence to rid themselves of their magic? In that scene, Luna mentioned that magic can't simply vanish. The law of conversation states that matter and energy (both of which have mass) can't be created or destroyed, and in MLP, magic follows this rule.

When used by unicorns and alicorns, magic can be condensed into objects (as when making shields) but it can also be released as energy (like in the changeling invasion, when Twilight shot lasers from her horn, or when used as telekinesis). If that's the case, would magic be considered more of energy, matter, or could it be something else entirely?

The question does seem somewhat trivial, but I would like to see what you think. Thanks.

-W.S.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

Is magic energy or matter?

Yes.

I've tackled a lot of difficult canon issues, but not this one. The plot line of 'Our Girl Scootaloo' deals with pony genetics, flight mechanics, and synthetic biology, but I intentionally kept 'magic' out until the last year of the story so I didn't have to answer that one... :twilightoops: Seriously, it was easier to write about how the unicorns used a nuclear chemistry to fight of the windigos.:trixieshiftright:

Your question isn't quite valid, because: .

However, as far as I can tell, ponies aren't able to turn lead into gold, and teleportation may be limited to light speed. Also, I'm not sure if portals are possible using conventional methods. But if all that's the case, then advanced nanites may be capable of "magic".

Otherwise, if "magic" is capable of causing nuclear reactions on a small scale, then the only things that I think might be capable of that are completely theoretical nanites made of small, high and low energy particles in abundance, or miniature black holes. In other words, someone would have to come up with a new type of atom from very different particles.

3726695 In my head canon, it's neither. Magic is a force. Like gravity, just that it can be manipulated. If you apply the force correctly, you can change reality itself.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5