For this thread, ponies are optional.

[youtube=-FIMvSp01C8]

[youtube=hnXCzFnkxtY]

[youtube=zeydjADyM7U]

[youtube=ty33v7UYYbw]

--arcum42

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

I was going to be very, very disappointed if Mr. Dolby's work hadn't been represented in that first post.

That said, enjoy:

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

And keeping in the spirit of one of the sub-themes of this group, here's a love song (sort of) with a healthy dose of Mad Science:

arcum42
Group Admin

It's not like that tends to be one of Jonathan Coulton's themes or anything...

[youtube=e9F6zGP3kkc]

There aren't nearly enough songs about either science or mad science, though. Dr. Moreau seems to be a theme, too...

[youtube=xTPVm8gv8fM]

[youtube=hRguZr0xCOc]

[youtube=ZrHk1wLS3ig]

--arcum42

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

Don't you dare mentioning Jonathan Coulton without this:

:rainbowlaugh:
~Twi

arcum42
Group Admin

Elric mentioned him first. :scootangel:

Besides, I mentioned Oingo Boingo without this song:

[youtube=Jm-upHSP9KU]

(Okay, it may have been because "Weird Science" isn't really that sciency if you think about it.)

--arcum42

Aaaaaaaaaaand you win.

But how about the universe singing you a song?:

Like all of Portishead's songs, it sounds less like a human perspective and more like anthropomorphised Cosmic Forces, in this case of the existential condition of the universe as a whole:
"Divine upper reaches / Still holding on / This ocean will not be grasped..." and "Did you really 'want?" etc.

But more prosaically:

arcum42
Group Admin

Oh, here's one I really ought to add. Who can forget ELO, "Yours Truly, 2095"?

[youtube=mb5TV7JUvzo]

"I met someone who looks a lot like you, she does the things you do, but she is an IBM..."

--arcum42

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

Here's a lesser-known (but truly beautiful) Queen tune, one that happens to be about space exploration -- complete with the relativistic effects of high-speed travel. The brave explorers are gone for a century but only age a year...

This isn't technically a song, but still, there's music and... daaaaaaaamn :twilightoops:

arcum42
Group Admin

I did say videos about science, too, which doesn't limit it to songs. And Richard Feynman's awesome.

[youtube=OFzXaFbxDcM]

[youtube=emHAoQGoQic]

--arcum42

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

I'm going to see if I can wake this thread up again by sliding in on a technicality. Despite the title "Journey of the Sorceror", this song is a classic of science fiction. Why? Because in every incarnation of the story that had theme music -- radio show, TV show, movie -- part of this song has been used in the opening of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

arcum42
Group Admin

Given that I love Journey of the Sorcerer, no issues there.

How about some Jefferson Airplane?

[youtube=zHC9NANKluU]

[youtube=BrT0IKAkosM]

--arcum42

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14