Twist! 267 members · 94 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

As just about everyone should know by now, there were recently some new genre tags added to the site. I didn't really see much point in creating new folders for everything, though -- not when a lot of those folders may remain empty for some time. Let's face it, there aren't a lot of good stories that get written starring our favorite candy-making filly. So as with the original tags, I've grouped some together.

Horror has been grouped with Dark for the purposes of stories in this group -- not really much of a stretch. And if we start getting stories added with the Mystery or Thriller tags, they'll be sharing a folder with the Adventure stories.

I'm less sure about Sci-Fi and Drama, though. I've seen plenty of places offline where Sci-Fi is grouped with Horror, but I've never been keen on that sort of classification. And it's kind of hard for me to justify lumping Drama in with any other tags. I may just hold off for now on creating new folders for those tags (or adding those tags to existing folders).

I'm always open to your feedback, of course, if you have any suggestions for those tags or others.

Mystery: what a Twist!

I've been using Slice of Life as my "Drama" tag until this point. They're different things, sure, but it's a similar difference to the one between adventure and mystery. Both slice and drama have more emphasis on character interaction, so I'd feel they have enough of a "kinship" to share a folder.

Sci-fi is a tough sell any day of the week. Maybe stick it in Alt Universe, because most sci-fi stories on the site are alt universe?

I've seen plenty of places offline where Sci-Fi is grouped with Horror, but I've never been keen on that sort of classification.

:rainbowhuh:

That sounds like those people have never been exposed to any actual science-fiction genres outside of the Alien and Predator franchises. :facehoof:

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

I like your reasoning, so that's what I'll do.

Could be. I mean, I don't know of any other explanation that makes sense. And yet I've seen it in video stores (back when people still rented videos), in media stores (the sort of place where one can buy movies, music, and books in the same place) and in the "On Demand" listings of at least a couple of premium movie networks.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

Folders updated with the latest suggestions.

So glad no one has asked me to add a folder for the new "Anon" tag, 'cause frankly, I'd rather not have that laziness around here.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

No "AnonaTwist" folder, then? :unsuresweetie:

--Sweetie Belle

Well, to be sure, there is a considerable degree of crossover between the two genres, especially when it comes to movies like Alien, John Carpenter's remake of The Thing, or Event Horizon, so I suspect that when it comes to retail video outlets, a lot of it is just laziness; it's easier to lump it all into one set of shelves labeled "sci-fi/horror" than to actually go to the trouble of familiarizing themselves with the movies in question to slot them correctly.

(That laziness extends to other genres, too. I've seen the animated versions of Watership Down and The Plague Dogs filed under "kidvid" more than once. :twilightoops: Talk about high-octane nightmare fuel... One wonders how many traumatized kids' therapy bills Blockbuster ended up paying for over the years!)

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

there is a considerable degree of crossover between the two genres

True. Now that I think about it, though, it may also grow out of the common lumping together of science fiction and fantasy.* They're grouped together because they both cover topics that can't happen in our world as we know it, so it's not a far distance from there to adding in horror fiction... which almost always has some sort of supernatural trappings found in it.

That laziness extends to other genres, too.

Yeah, half-assed sorting of animation is something that's often pretty disturbing to see. 'Scuse me, but I don't really think that Heavy Metal belongs next to this Duck Tales collection...

*Note to bookstores and libraries: Wanna impress me? Have separate shelves for these two categories right next to each other.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

4838055 4838213 4838273 4838622 4839723
I'm thinking I may just consolidate Comedy and Random into one folder, but I'm open to input from you folks and any other group members.

I dare say the world shall not weep for lack of specific tags for each, nor shall it overwhelmingly decry the existence of a joint tag. Again, therein lies similar themes.

It's kinda funny that the only folders that're gonna be solo are "Submitted fics," which you can't really double up, and "Romance..."

Part of me feels like you should change that to Romance/Second-Person, but then the other half reminded me it's too early for April Fool's day. And I ain't fooling anybody. :pinkiehappy:

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

The best way to get me to read a story with second-person narration? Have it be one of these:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14