~The Decent Writers Club~ 1,678 members · 9,341 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

It was a really long time when i tried to publish my story... okay, maybe just a few months ago. Maybe around the time the rules were changed - specifically about lyrics.

Anyway, the reason my story failed moderation was:

Just adding pony terms here and there does not change the fact that these lyrics are taken straight from Tenacious D's Kickapoo.

So it was kind of a huge bummer because.. well, i kind of worked hard making the lyrics:twilightsheepish:
Plus, my story is based on a.. sort of musical, so it kind of makes sense that i want winged lyrics from the movie

BUT i get that it just isn't allowed. The lyrics i mean. For whatever reason, copyright issues or whatever i don't want to think about it. So i didn't bother with the story anymore.

Until recently though :rainbowkiss:
I don't know, i just want to have the story visible! I got a good freaking plot for it! I thought of moving the lyrics from the actual chapters to the Author's notes part so i get to include the song without actually including the song, you know? Although i have yet to figure out how to actually do that to my liking, it's still an idea that i had.

I'll just say the point again. I want to 'include' lyrics, one way or another, or at least 'influences' from it like the story kind of flows with it you know?

you know right?... I'm sure you're smart seeing as that you joined a group named The Decent Writers Club... then again, I joined a group like that... hmm... i wonder what's my point in this sentence.

Thanks for taking the time to read! I'd really use the help right now..

Oh shi-- i almost forgot the link to the story
<<CLICK ME! CLICK ME REEAL GOOOD!>>
Oh, yeah.

Comment posted by A Dark Reminder deleted Jan 5th, 2014

<<CLICK ME! CLICK ME REEAL GOOOD!>>

:twilightoops: That sounds dirty.

Yeah, you know you want to do it :pinkiesmile:

You're making it worse and you know that. xD

Here, give this story a go. It's a good example of what you can do. I had absolutely no trouble with it getting approved and it's even been featured on Equestria Daily. Probably because I've only used one or two lines worth of lyrics per chapter, and actually made them 100% relevant to the story.

Edit: Of course, there is also the fact that I know the band members personally and obtained direct permission to use the lyrics from the singer/songwriter himself.

I'm not sure if there is a way to get the story published with the lyrics at all. I asked if it'd be okay to use, like, one line from a song and I got a big red "NO WAY HOZAY!" (Not like that though.)

Maybe because your story got published before the new rules came in effect? It was around October i think

The lyrics topic is kind of dodgy. Something about copyright blah blah, i don't even want to think about it. But they did mention all the MLP songs are okay to use, I have a story where Pinkie Pie went to hell and sang a Hell version of the Smile song but then again it didn't came with the song when i first published it...

hmm... i think i have an idea.

Hey, do moderators remove stories once they're published?

Lucky for you. I didn't have a problem with my first story, my two other though.... :twilightblush:
except for my last one.

If you're thinking what I think you are, you would be wise to abandon that idea. The mods have eyes everywhere...

Tacos! How did you know?!

*gobbles the tacos in one swoop and tries to talk with mouth full*

Awresrome! Ahr still preferr chimichangras throu

And i'm abandoning the thought. Okay.

Does anyone have any ideas please? Come one, you know you guys love to help a damsel in distress... even if said damsel is actually me

AtomicMuffin
Group Admin

2530998 You could try adding copyright information in the author's notes. Proper citation usually is a loophole around copyright infringement. I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot.

I haven't thought about that. I doubt it'll work though but yeah, I guess it's worth a shot

thanks!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13