Comments ( 269 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 269

I just read that Touhou 14.5: Urban Legend in Limbo has been announced!
(SPOILER!)
Gameplay video of the trial's story mode~

Let us all join together and start speculating :pinkiehappy:

EDIT: The second image is apparently from a special version of 14.3, which is not intended to be sold publicly, I will look into it more later.

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Hold your hippogryphs! This game was of Touhou Project?! :pinkiegasp:

Ohmigosh! YES!

Divine Path
Group Contributor

We already know the perceived extent of Gold Rush. It's a minigame with one boss, one item and only a few Spell Cards, with some sort of "score rush" mechanics where you collect as much converted money as possible. Finally, Danmaku coins pay off.
Urban Legend in Limbo suggests the Outside World will be involved. That, or Nue. I don't even know where you learnt of its announcement. Off to Maidens of the Kaleidoscope!

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Horror, perhaps?

I've been waiting for so long and finally it is nearly within my grasp mwahahahahahahaha

It would be a nice change of pace to have some horror for a change :rainbowkiss:

It somewhat reminds me of kids going into a haunted school to find rumoured ghosts though, so perhaps we will have Marisa (and likely Reimu and maybe others) exploring a haunted mansion or other place that appeared in Gensokyo.
I'm actually reminded of Dolls of Pseudo Paradise's story, which also involved a mansion, plus a mysterious youkai :rainbowderp:

Of course, since I'm a Mima fan, I'm going to say that (from what I read) it will be the 20th anniversary game, so ZUN might reintroduce her, but it probably won't happen.
Can't hurt to dream though :rainbowkiss:

Divine Path
Group Contributor

"Get your hands on the Occult Ball!"

Might I request you add the [Game Discussion] label to the thread title, if it isn't too much trouble? :twilightsheepish:

Divine Path
Group Contributor

It certainly would be nice to have Mima back in shape and soul. :trixieshiftright:
I recall Nue having Spell Cards referring to urban legends, so I'm assuming she will be part of it somehow.

Done~

I honestly even forgot where I found out about it...
Oh, no, I remember, I saw a message on it on Moriya Shrine, after getting the site up to give to someone for the HM english patch :derpytongue2:
While there wasn't much more info than the game announced there, it naturally got me searching and I found those pics with information about it being the 20th anniversary year, with the 10th anniversary having gotten PoFV, which brings the possibility of a phantasmagoria on the table too.

So many possibilities...
It's exciting :rainbowkiss:

zel
Group Contributor

3809870 should we expect danganronpa-like gameplay?

Divine Path
Group Contributor

As interesting that would be, Touhou is a Danmaku game series, not a mystery visual novel. In before FlanChan.

Indeed. I would certainly love to see another Phantasmagoria. On that note, I'm also hoping Yuuka will return with a few more Spell Cards. The poor youkai moe is the only character to have no more than two Cards. Being the resident eldritch horror also makes her a viable candidate for playable or boss.:rainbowkiss:

Divine Path
Group Contributor

The resident evil. Get it? Ah, I am amusing~

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Indeed they are, just with fighter elements. Besides that, they are spinoffs who may be much, much more closer to canon than a mystery novel. Unfortunately, Gensokyians have no patience for crime solving :raritydespair:
Though after White Names Spoiled Past, I wouldn't mind seeing how Danganronpa could be integrated to the Danmaku genre. :trixieshiftleft:

Damn my inability to see such things, that's a good one though :rainbowlaugh:

The one thing from the image I have to note is the ghost shaped like a phone from a phone booth or however you want to call it, as it is indeed one that's likely from the outside world. It keeps making me think of a place forgotten in the outside world ends up in Gensokyo, with everyone thinking it might be haunted while there may be someone (living or spirit) living in it, which is where the rumours came from. Having a large group investigating a mansion like that with possibly 1 or 2 new characters might be very befitting of a phantasmagoria style game.
Investigating in an Aya kind of way however is also possible of course.

And Marisa standing like that makes it seem like she's story telling, so there's even the possibility of everything being within a narrative...

zel
Group Contributor

:facehoof:
by that logic, you could say that all regular touhou games are FPS with apocalypse elements.
10.5-alikes are fighting games, like it or not. :trixhieshiftright:

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Thank you~ :raritywink:

It could be Kosuzu is involved. It's a silly reason, but I think the inclusion of traditional youkai in the poster may be an indication of youma books or some similar power, I don't know. I wonder about the prospect of another trial of guts, but I do think that the game would involve an investigation of sorts, with a variety of characters venturing in, some to obstruct and intimidate. Kogasa suddenly appears as the final boss. I call it. :rainbowkiss: (No, I don't. Mima will be.)

Or Yuyuko can be the final boss, having controlled spirits out of boredom to mess with the characters :trixieshiftright:

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Yes, they are fighting games, but also shooters. Have you not noticed Spell Card phases and much more projectile moves than in any other fighter? It is an unique subgenre adherent to Touhou.

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Only if the player character is "low-tier," I would imagine. Yuyuko doesn't even try to fight anymore.

Yuyuko is more a character that would mess around and trick others than directly fight them, a whimsical ghost would after all see fun in a pointless witch hunt :derpytongue2:

zel
Group Contributor

3809903 are they top down? are they scrolling? you can already throw out 2/3 of the genre out of the window.
the only resemblance to danmaku is single player, that noone really even plays.

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Flight mechanics, graze mechanics, bullets, bombs, several declarable supers, lives, Spell Card rules

Totally not danmaku. Yes, enthusiasts play single player for that purpose.:trixieshiftleft:

Divine Path
Group Contributor

That would make her a supporting character or a playable one then, should it not be competitive. :applejackunsure:

She is still pranking everyone, but I think the part relating to something coming from the outside world seems more possible.

zel
Group Contributor

3809910 why do you have to be so stubborn, especially when you are wrong? :raritydespair:

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Looking at the artstyle, I think it rather resembles Suzunaan. Hm.

Because your opinion is bias and slander. I feel the Danmaku you are phobic of.:rainbowkiss:

Hmm... GFW style, where you can select your first, second etc. level? :rainbowderp:

Divine Path
Group Contributor

That too, though I was referring to Forbidden Scrollery.

I see ghosts in that first picture.
Mima confirmed for touhou 14.5

I'm sorry for using such an overused joke.

Both me and Divine Path made that joke as well, though I can do a lot more thinking on reasons this time around :rainbowlaugh:

Mima as a final boss? Not since Story of Eastern Wonderland.
No, Mima will not be the final boss.

She'll be the extra stage boss. With Genji as the mid-boss.

If you think about it in a meta way, clearly Mima returning is an urban legend among the Touhou community ever since she went into limbo after Touhou 5, thus Mima confirmed!!!

Yeah that seems about right :facehoof:

Divine Path
Group Contributor

That too is a feasible project :pinkiegasp:

FlanChan
Group Admin

But I wonder if the fans will somehow find a way to leak 14.3 to the public? :rainbowderp:
The Touhou fandom is a vast and powerful one, after all

Divine Path
Group Contributor

We must hope, though it seems the content cannot be downloaded. Oh, the pain :raritydespair:

Timely
Group Contributor

I'm guessing it's based on the 7 mysteries of high school

I know that one it a toilet ghost, the rest I'm not too familiar with though

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSevenMysteries

3809901 Though I think the origin of the monsters in this is a bit more recent, I'd guess 1960s-70s.

3809918 The same artist as Forbidden Scrollery did it. Makes me think it'll be a bit like fairy wars and have a guest artist. I hope so, because I love the art in FS, so having it in color would be nice

Divine Path
Group Contributor

I am aware. Honored Moe is the artist behind at least this poster~

If it is like GFW, a choice of what mystery to investigate first would probably be the way that it would be handled, and depending on some stuff you get different outcomes.

Timely
Group Contributor

3829640 I forgot about that feature in GFW! It'd be great if it has alternate paths

Seven options, without extra mode though... would be really complex :derpyderp2:

Unless there will be 3 stages, where a mystery is a midboss and afterwards another one as the boss, with a 4th level or even extra mode for the 7th one.

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Touhou Shinhiroku ~ Urban Legend in Limbo (東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo, lit. "Eastern Record of Deep Mysteries"

Now features a Japanese title and has been confirmed to be another collaboration with everyone's favourite, Twilight Frontier~

With Twilight Frontier's history of variety in games, I guess the game can take any route then~

Divine Path
Group Contributor

It likely won't be a fighter. It's a bit too early for that. I do wonder though~

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Strange rumors are circulating the Human Village.

"A dog with a human's face was rummaging the compost pile."
"Somebody saw an old woman selling humans' feet."

These pointless rumors have exploded, and driven the children into fear.
Unlike the youkai whose natural purpose is to attack humans, these rumors are both unsettling and impossible to discern the truths underneath.
Since there were no real victims, the adults have come to think of them as merely children's silly talks.

Of course, the girls are not afraid.
They know these to be the outside world's "urban legends" (made-up stories).

Urban legends have an interesting property.
As the circulating rumors change, the anomalies will change correspondingly.

Reimu and company have assumed the rumors that fit them, and treat the anomalies as their playthings.
As long as one can control the rumors without being afraid, the manifested anomalies can be rendered harmless.
More than that, they can be turned into powers of one's own.
The girls thought of controlling the urban legends by themselves as a necessary measure for keeping people from harm.

This had indeed been true. Until one night...

Gods and ghost stories confirmed. Nue and Kogasa must be involved in this.

Divine Path
Group Contributor

A remake has been made of Gold Rush~

Divine Path
Group Contributor

The game will apparently be a sequel to Hopeless Masquerade, and a pretty early next fighter. ZUN assures his fans; "it has become a good game."

Divine Path
Group Contributor

Um, you're looking right hardheaded there Marisa

Divine Path
Group Contributor

A demo will be released at Comiket 87

zel
Group Contributor
Divine Path
Group Contributor

Um, sequel to HM with improved portrait art, likely different playable characters, a new gameplay system and apparently Reimu with the aid of Yukari dropping grand pianos on people.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 269