Human in Equestria 16,837 members · 17,004 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
popyloaw #1 · 2 weeks ago · · 1 ·

Ok so Celestia and Luna control the sun and moon what does that moon could they do solar flares could they just throw pieces of the moon at you and also can they control our celestial bodies why should or shouldn't they this is just referencing these two by the way what about just normal ponies griffins dragons and don't even get me started on Discord like how do you guys normally power scale them to earth.( Sorry for no proper punctuation this is kinda just a stream of consciousness)

I scale them to what they've done on the show. Essentially Celestia and Luna are just two pieces of a clock.

Hm, well, there are many theories that the sun and moon of Equus is much smaller than the sun and moon of our world, well, the sun at least, both being around the same size and somewhat revolve around the planet,Celestia and Luna being directly connected to these celestial bodies through their magic, and yes, while moving these celestial bodies is highly impressive and powerful, they do not use the full extent of that power lest the lose themselves in said power, Nightmare Moon is a great example of this, and even then, Nightmare moon did not use the full extent of her powers as she had only just recently returned from her banishment which had severely weakened her.

Hmm interesting so alright although they're smaller than ours the fact they're moving them at all is impressive and if they focus too much on them they become corrupted. I've kind been thinking about something kinda similar where alicorns are semi immortal by making it a case of celestial and Luna being persona and the persona can die forever but the body or whatever's left will resurrect as someone else who better embodies what their the princess of .Just thinking of a cool way to include alternate personas like nightmare moon and daybreaker by making it a part of alicorn physiology.(Pls tell me if any of this makes sense because I'm not sure if I explained myself well here).

So what you are saying is that the sun and moon are the true Celestia and Luna and Celestia and Luna are just avatars for them to interact with the world, even if they themselves do not know this, I do like that theory a lot, it could also work into a Displaced story where the Displaced is summoned to that world as a separate 'persona' in its own Avatar body, like Discord, and while discord isn't an alicorn, it only makes sense as he is the avatar of chaos, chaos is in all species while the sun and moon work in harmony to create day and night, harmony which is showed more in ponies than any other species, this their bodies are Alicorns, the harmonious combination of all three pony tribes, Pegasus, unicorns and earth ponies respectively.

Now that I think about it, it really brings a deeper connection between discord and the Alicorns, both are immortal and are the avatar's of celestial entities.

Yeah, that's what I was basically trying to say but you articulated it way better.

No problem, and that is honestly an excellent way to look at the Alicorns and the draconequus shown, as in they are the exact same, just from different original entities, hence the different type of magic between them. Luna with dream walking, Celestia with planewalking(the place ponies go to when they become Alicorns seen with Twilight) Cadence with emotion magic, Discord with matter manipulation magic otherwise known as chaos magic, Twilight with magic as a whole, and Flurry heart with light magic.

All because they originate from different entities.

i think, rather than moving the sun and moon directly via some form of telekinesis, the spell they use, only “commands” the sun and moon, like the sun song in oot. Like, when the stormking had that ability via the staff, he could just move them along their orbit, but luckily he couldt destroy the world via his stupidity.

Its also noteworthy, that the spell is not unique to celestia and luna, as before them, Starswirl and 5 other mages used their combined magic to perform the spell, and before them, unicorns in general seemingly performed the spell, from what was implied in the hearts warming eve episode. (i imagine hundred regular unicorns could cast the spell together).

Celestia and Luna are just the only ones, capable of performing the spell all by themselves, so its more of an affinity, allowing them to perform the spell for far less MP.

Shining armor has a similiar ability just for shield spells. Technically any unicorn can make a shield, but he could envelop an entire city, while also doing his guard duties, getting maried, and having his energy sapped by chrysalis, for at least seveal days and only got a headache. Cadence tried the same thing for less than 24 hours and almost died from exhaustion, and all she did was sitting there, trying not to implode. However, this difference in power does not seem to translate to other spells, as tirek for example didnt seem too interested in shinings power, even though it outperforms his wifes alicorn-abilities in this one particular field.

ok cool understanding though you are right if you absorb a pony's magic can they also get their special talent because I'm assuming these things are intrinsically linked to their magic.

Alright so, I think we tend to give Alicorns alot more credit than they generally deserve. Don't get me wrong, compared to normal unicorns they have alot more strength. (Starlight could go toe to toe with Twilight and destroy Discords physical body, so exceptional unicorn can compete with Alicorns)

Canon wise, the two sisters also don't have alot of feats of power to their names. They didn't beat discord, the elements did. Celestia was beaten in a contest of strength with Chrysalis. As Nightmare Moon... what did she do beyond make it night and toss some unicorn disgruntled lasers at celestia.
Cadance has love powers but that's mostly mental magic.

Now Twilight, Celestia, Luna and Cadance combined? Yeah we're pushing the edge here. Twilight was able to lob blasts that burned away the earth and explosions similar to a moab during the fight with tirek. This is the power level alot of fics give to the sisters individually.

Would that still be enough to go toe to toe with full chaos discord? Likely not. We tend to forget just how powerful discord really is and how much he likes to hold back for the sake of his plans. No one has outright overpowered discord on their own without trucking him into lowering his guard or using a mcguffian artifact or outside ability.

Celestia has the power to move and control the sun itself. Assuming the star and planet have the same relative size as our solar system, Celestia regularly moves an object that is 333,000 times the size of the planet she's standing on. And she moves it millions upon millions of miles when she does so. If we take the erratic movements of the sun literally from an episode (Lesson Zero), on the assumption that Celestia was aware of Twilight's predicament and was playing with her just a bit, Celestia has essentially perfect control of the sun's movements and can move it much faster than just a normal sunrise or sunset.

Luna controls not just the moon, but the night itself including the stars and other celestial objects. Beyond considering her control of the moon, it's difficult to quantify her power in any way we can conceive of just based on her ability to manipulate the stars and other celestial objects, or at least how they appear in the night sky. So, consider her powers from another angle. She's not just a dreamwalker; she's the guardian and protector of the dream world. So the nastiest most horrifying nightmare you've ever had, and the scariest creature you've ever dreamed of? She faces all that and more every night and extinguishes them as a matter of course. For all intents and purposes, Luna may herself be considered an eldritch power simply for her ability to face these horrors and eliminate them out of hand.

These are not the powers of some random beings; powers on this scale are beyond that of even demigods. There's a reason so much of the fandom considers Celestia and Luna as gods in their world. It's because the natural extrapolation of the powers demonstrated are conceptually consistent with god level beings. Plus, it makes for entertaining fiction to have gods with personality.

Bottom line. You can make Celestia and Luna as overpowered as you want, and most readers will not have any issues as long as their powers are consistent with what has been previously demonstrated (Ie: Celestia = Sun Goddess, Luna = Night Goddess).

One of my favorite stories about how powerful Celestia may be...and what happens when the new Dragonlord (Garble) challenged her. Short fun read.
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/346703/celestia-vs-garble

Hmmm your right there's actually not a lot to properly scale alot of characters so I was just thinking how charitable people are when it comes to Equestria Because alot of feats can just be explained away as gags and sometime you would have to make your own lore to better understand the world and make it make it sense. Like I personally am working on stories but I'm kinda heavily changing the world so I myself can better understand how Equestria works and plan with that like I'm kinda introducing the concept of basically personally weapons for celestia and luna before harmony like a lance for celestia that was once a star that rotated around Equestria's sun but was on a collision course with eques so long dead Emperor Helios reached out condensed it and turned it into a lance while luna will wield five swords she made herself still thinking about how she did it but you get basic gist.

i think, it depends on HOW the magic is absorbed. Using Grogars Bell or the staff seems to conserve the abilities, but Tireks ability does not. He absorbed the power of a lot of pegasi, but didnt grow wings or anyhting. He drains the “magical essence” of his victims, as chrysalis called it. From how it affects ponies, magical essence might be the substance, that allows magical creatures to generate magical energy, similar to how bone marrow generates red bloodcells. In season 4, tirek stole Discords Essence without problem, but in season 9 he was reluctant to the idea of using the bell to grant anyone discords abilities “because noone can handle it”

7960151 TL;DR/Executive Summary: As powerful or as weak as will serve the story. And how powerful she presents herself may be different, see Superman's World of Cardboard speech.

There are no canonical answers to those questions because you would have to establish 1) whether magic even exists in our world, 2) do their natural laws apply in the same ways as in most of Equestria or is Earth basically a giant Everfree Forest, 3) what scale do the celestial bodies have?

The first two depend on the desired outcome of the author, there is no one definitive answer, especially since our world is not the Equestria Girls world.

For scale, you can walk from coast to coast in Equestria in a few days based on travelling from Ponyville to Canterlot, assuming that Equestria is where the Americas are, and the previous Three Kingdoms are Eurasia the entire planet is tiny. If the Sun and Moon orbit the planet, they could be as small as a sports stadium.

Then there is the question of how powerful the alicorns are, and how much of that power can they safely use around others. Celestia isn't going to use full power if it reduces everypony around her to charred shadows on the walls.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15