PonyEarthVerse 622 members · 49 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
McPoodle
Group Contributor

My psychologist character of Dr. Franklin (from the story "Breakdown") has set out to save the world, one pony at a time, and has begun this mission by inundating the Internet with advertising offering to help any newly-transformed pony who needs it. (I leave it up to you to judge whether that "help" is truly benevolent or not.) Since my story depends on interactions with other ponies, I will lay out precisely what that advertising looks like, and you can PM me if you'd like to arrange an encounter between our characters. These ads are appearing on popular MLP-related websites and in many search engines when pony-related terms are entered, starting on the morning of Day 12 (Threesday).

A sample banner ad (given the limitations of BBCode):

Having Trouble as a Pony? There's Help

Find Out More About Your New Form
Advice on How to Fit In...or Stand Out

Get the Facts

On the off-chance you actually wanted to plonk that in the middle of your story, copy and paste the following, then search and replace "{" with "[", and "}" with "]":

{center}{quote}{img}http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111220215525/mlp/images/thumb/a/ae/VeryScared_S02E08.png/320px-VeryScared_S02E08.png{/img}
{size=20}{color=#CD9A09}{b}Having Trouble as a Pony? There's Help{/b}{/color}{/size}

• {url=http://drfranklins-not-real-website.com/videos/So-You're-A-Pony}{u}Find Out More About Your New Form{/u}{/url}
• {url=http://drfranklins-still-not-real-website.com/videos/Tips-for-Social-Adjustment}{u}Advice on How to Fit In...or Stand Out{/u}{/url}

{color=#CD9A09}{b}Get the Facts{/b}{/color}{/quote}{/center}

Now, if your character actually followed that link to Dr. Franklin's, the resulting web pages would look like this (this is the FAQ page):

Frequently Asked Questions

and Information

BECOMING A PONY

Nathan K. Franklin, Ph.D.

Note: This information is provided for informational purposes only. It is not intended as treatment advice or to replace personal psychological care or medical attention if needed. There is no substitute for the experience and judgment that a professional can provide to evaluate and treat any psychological, emotional, mood, or mental problem face to face. Many medical conditions have symptoms that are similar to psychological disorders and it is always good judgment to have a medical checkup as a first step. If you are, or have been, in professional counseling or treatment and any information given in this site is contrary to advice you have received, you should consult your therapist or doctor.

Becoming a pony is a major adjustment, both for the human and for the pony. You'll be discovering a whole new way of looking at the world, as well as a whole new world to look at.

Yes, I just referred to the human and the pony. It may take a day or two, but soon you'll find that the new body you acquired came with the mind of its original owner. You are most certainly in charge, but common courtesy suggests that you should become acquainted with your "inner pony" as soon as possible. The best chance for this is your first full sleep after changing form.

During this first dream, you will have a chance to interact with your inner pony in a virtual landscape. Since this is very much a lucid dream, try to create a setting that is comfortable for both you and the pony--assuming you know anything about your pony at the start of the dream. The two of you are going to be stuck with each other for the immediate future, so it makes sense to set up the basis for a firm friendship in that first dream.

After that first dream, you should be able to communicate mentally with each other even while awake. This would be a good time to learn your pony's special abilities. See the following three sections for outlines of what to expect after turning into an Earth Pony, Unicorn, or Pegasus.

You can expect to have further lucid dreams with your pony over the next several nights, as you get to know each other better. At this time, you may be tempted to "merge" with your pony, to reduce your two personalities into a single, combined mind.

THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

Why? Here are some reasons not to merge for you to consider:

(1) Just because the two of you have problems that seem unbearable, does not mean that as a single mind you will better be able to face these problems. As Friendship Is Magic teaches us, it is not a single strong mind that fights off the evils of life, but the bonds of friendship, bonds that you have already forged with your inner pony. Why throw that away for the uncertainty of becoming a whole new person?

(2) If you wish to merge out of loneliness, realize that a merged mind has only one voice. That friend you were slowing getting to know will now become as familiar as your own self, and familiarity breeds contempt.

(3) You are making permanent what should be a temporary situation. Your inner pony had a life in Equestria, a life that he or she needs to get back to after this crisis is past. But that will be impossible after you have merged. How will that pony be able to rejoin friends and family if he or she is now a permanent part of you?

(4) For that matter, how about your friends and family? Even if you are estranged from them, how do you think they will handle having you replaced by a totally different person, a change that will last for the rest of your life? Do you consider that fair to them?

There are many other reasons besides these. Overall, I think you will be much happier and healthier in a mental sense if you live as two minds in one body, instead of as one mashed-together mind.

What If I'm in Need of More Hands-On Help?

Dr. Franklin is willing to work with newly-transformed ponies, to personally guide them through the transition process, either through a small number of sessions with exercises, or on a more open-ended basis. He will discuss options with both the human and the pony personalities, to help identify any problems they are having, and to work with them to devise workable solutions. Click here for Dr. Franklin's contact information, both email (including videos) and phone.

Copyright © 2012 Nathan K. Franklin, Ph.D.
All Rights Reserved

Masterweaver
Group Contributor

And then Pinkie utterly destroys Franklin's opinions.

((Also, day twelve? Huh. Okay then.))

And did you set the Sharing Settings on the Gdocs to allow visitors?

Masterweaver
Group Contributor

Poodle, did you know that you're not alerted to replies in a topic thread unless they directly quote your post?

McPoodle
Group Contributor

I was instructed to start my story on Day 10, and it took until the late night news of Discord and Twilight's coma for him to make up his mind. Day 11 was taken up with his pact with Discord, and putting together the web page with his consultant. So that means those documents go public of dawn of Day 12. Do I need to accelerate matters to meet your timetable?

And all of my GDocs are open to others. Most are for comments only, but a few (like the version of this post) allow editing as well. If you're seeing one that's otherwise, let me know.

I suspected as much, but did not know for certain. I figured I would just check the thread once a day, and tonight I happen to be running later than usual. Your original post was made at 4 am my time, at which point I was sound asleep. I am absolutely worthless for doing anything useful before 10 am, so I don't check the board before going to work--I'll let you make your own conclusions about how well I do at my job between the hours of 8 and 10.

Masterweaver
Group Contributor

None of the links in that first post are working. Probably because of the odd addresses.... did you have actual pages planned?

Masterweaver
Group Contributor

Do you need to collaberate for your next part? I have a vague outline of what happens between day 11 evening and day 12 afternoon for Pinkie (and some other characters), drop me a PM with your E-Mail so we can figure out the talk show with Franklin and Pinkie if you want.

McPoodle
Group Contributor

Nope, that's why I made the links obviously fake. I suppose I could have just underlined and colored the text instead.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7