Everfree Northwest Readers and Writers 286 members · 305 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23
EverfreeNorthwest
Official EFNW
Group Admin

Are you interested in sharing your opinion about the fanfictions submitted for the Everfree Northwest 2014 Writing Contest? Then join us by voting in the EFNW 2014 Community Choice award! Vote in our Community Choice poll and tell us which fanfics from our contest you think are the best. The poll will close on Friday, March 28th at 11:59pm PST. All winners for the EFNW 2014 Writing Contest will be announced on Sunday, March 30th.

You don't need to vote on all the fics, just the ones you want to vote on. You can also edit your results later.

We’re looking forward to hearing your input!

It seems it might be theoretically possible to submit multiple response voting for the same fic, your fic, many times. You might wish to correct this as it might provide an unfair advantage to the other stories.

EverfreeNorthwest
Official EFNW
Group Admin

Thank you. That said we can see multiple submissions and will be able to account for such.

Guess I better start reading if I want an informed decision... hoo boy. :twilightoops: Just might take me till the 26th to make up my mind. :coolphoto:

Piquo Pie
Group Admin

You can edit your votes, you don't have to do all of them, and you can edit your votes later if you read more.

I don't have to, but it would feel a bit wrong to me to nominate without at least being exposed to all of them. Granted, I am probably just trying to find an excuse to read them all within that timeframe. :trixieshiftleft:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

This is why I read them all as soon as they were released. :B

Piquo Pie
Group Admin

Fair enough.

The intent is that the most popular story will win. So if something doesn't catch your eye, but you would have liked it, it would fail in that regard. That said , do what you feel write doing.

So the contest winners will be announced on Sunday the 30? That's not far away, I mean, really, I thought it would be longer then that. But as a new member I'm still trying to see what's going on and stuff, so I'm used to it, but it's surprising to know they only took a month to pic the winners, and I think that's awesome!

That gives me an idea for a method to the madness.

Start with the titles. Going down the list, I'll see which ones strike some fancy. And then start from there. It will probably be a large list yet still that can be slightly narrowed by the short description.

Finally, once I have a more manageable amount, then I can focus on the remainder, and then go back to read the other ones if I have time. That is much more efficient than trying to trudge through all of them, and I still at least expose myself somewhat to the other fics, even if minimally.

Piquo Pie
Group Admin

What can I say, we're good.

Actually, we have the winners. We just had trouble getting the community choice up as we had to have some authors fix their story for PG or word count before publicly linking them. We don't want to give a unfair advantage so we aren't making them public until after the community choice is picked.

I See....:derpyderp1: It's still awesome!:rainbowdetermined2:

6 more days till it closes, 10 more until winners are announced. :coolphoto:

Ok so far I read a few of them and voted. Since next week for me is a free week, I'm going to be reading my heart to the MAX.

I have read a select number of them, personal criteria for choosing considered, and I eventually came up with three that I felt not only deserved the #1 spot, but also had a good shot at it too.

However, I ended up choosing only one of them to actually vote for, and while that seems to defeat the purpose of being able to vote for multiple entries, I just had to use the word count in the consideration. Only that one out of the three was under the 3K word limit.

It was an enjoyment to read the entries... Mostly... And I have to say, I am happy to see so many good stories put out there! I am sure the judges had their work cut out for them when they were in the midst of judging the stories.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Oh boy, winners announced Sunday. :D I can't wait!

3153206 As a note, FIMfic's word count software is notoriously bad, and often includes formatting tags as words unto themselves. My own fic, "The King In Crystal", is listed as being over three thousand words when its actual count is 2,937 or something to that effect.

Try putting the story through GDocs, Word, or another program to get a better count before rejecting it on that score.

Hm,I might as well vote for the other two as well, and add another to that list. Thanks for letting me know, as that would have been a bit awkward in hindsight. :pinkiehappy:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Anyone who puts spaces between paragraphs, like me, also gets extra words per return. :B

Really? I'm a bit skeptical of that one; I copied and pasted my story into a word document, and it suggests that I actually have more words than the counter on FimFic stated that I had, 3001 in OpenOffice instead of 2996 given by the site :applecry:.

Either I am getting seriously trolled by OpenOffice or the FimFic site was determined that I would have to wait another year to submit a valid submission to this contest. :raritycry:

Then again, I could just be confused by what you mean by "spaces between paragraphs". Still though, I am a bit baffled by this.

EverfreeNorthwest
Official EFNW
Group Admin

1) The word limit is soft. One of the reason we took so long to allow people to correct for being over, sometimes something pg13 slipped in, some people withdrew, and so it took some time to get everything squared away. But everything listed in the document is completely valid and has a chance to win.

Ah. Seems like I have been getting worked up over, like, nothing. :derpyderp2:

Thanks, that'll help me sleep a little better lol.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23