Weston College (Archived) 51 members · 2 stories
Comments ( 268 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 268
F4D3
Group Admin

Okay seeing as we currently have ten admins for the school (Not counting the founder) I feel we need to have a place to discuss exactly how we can change the school for the better. Feel free to bring up anything that you might think could improve the school. Please remember: as admins we need to unite under one roof and take control of the group. What we say as a united front goes, so we have to make it count.

The floor is open for discussion.

We need better rules and guidelines for easier to follow RPs.

F4D3
Group Admin

Yes. our rules will be needing a bit more organization. What are your suggestions?

spider8itch
Group Admin

1362831 Take control of the group? Now you're just taking it a bit to far.

No more Mary Sues. Actual screening processes to determine what OCs can enter and which simply can't, as well as a set guideline to avoid every thread from becoming an unreadable mess.

This place needs rules, though. The RPs were unreadable for newcomers, and the disorganization was astounding.

spider8itch
Group Admin
F4D3
Group Admin

We needed this, and I'm not taking control. This is a democracy, not a dictatorship. :twilightsmile:

Compare this group to the OC RolePlaying group. Those RPs are professional and easy to follow. The comment sequence is fluent and organized. Introducing yourself at the middle of the RP is possible, while I could leave for five minutes here and never be able to rejoin. We're just trying to help.

F4D3
Group Admin

Perhaps a test of some sort to see if an OC is able or worthy of joining?

I was thinking more of a detailed character sheet to detect problems in the OC construction. Like invinsibility or superpowers without weaknesses.

F4D3
Group Admin

That's what I'm saying, I've been working on something along those lines for quite a while, it included things such as stats and rp currency, seeing as the school has an awful lot of shops and things of that nature. I've also been working on a level up system that I'v been itching to try out, I was going to test it out in an RP group of my own, but if enough people are willing I'd like to at least try it here. But I was thinking if we at least made the character sheet seem as a sort of test for students could make the RP just a little more believable.

Hmm... Sounds good. Great actually. How would it work? And could it be managed by anyone, or only you? Is it too complicated?

F4D3
Group Admin

The level up system and currency?

Well, If each Character had their own respective character sheet that they could look over and update as things went along that could solve both problems. It would take a bit of contribution from all the admins as a joint force, but at least the currency bit could be achieved with some work.

As for the level up system, I was thinking as a character participates more and more in an RP they could gain "Experience" which would allow them to grow as the RP does. Putting points in special abilities that are balanced instead of just flailing about OP attacks could help balance character fighting. And the stats system would be just as simple, as you level up you can put points in which will allow you to do things you wouldn't do otherwise. Think of my idea as a pen and paper rpg.

Example: Pony 1 uses punch on you, you must have either 3 Defense or 3 Agility to evade the attack.

That example is one of the more complicated forms of this, if necessary I could probably dumb it down a bit to make it simpler and easier to use.

Hmm... Yup. We need to dumb it down... Maybe online dice a mod could use?

1362994 1363003 Yeah is there any dice mod we can all use?

F4D3
Group Admin

Sounds good to me. But what of the level up and currency system? Do you think those might work, with a bit of tweaking, for this RP? It would also give a reason to attend classes, going to class could give you an extra boost of experience.

F4D3
Group Admin

That could work.

((Don't have time at the moment, but I'll defenitely be participating in this discussion in 2 hours.))

F4D3
Group Admin

See you then.

Well, first off, I'm in agreement that we need better defined rules. One other problem that was happening a lot was people would be sorted into a dorm and then never actually play on the forums. We should periodically take people off the lists that have dropped out.

Also, anyone think one dorm thread for the four dorms would be reasonable? I think the six dorm threads we had was major overkill. And we need a map thread.

--Silversmith Senna Spoon

F4D3
Group Admin

Yes, four dorms should be it, no having a dorm for one specific race or having the students of said dorm be 'hand picked' by the headmistress. I think regular updates of the dorm could work if there was a different person running each thread, allowing each leader (or warden given the circumstances) to know exactly when a new student joins their dorm.

As for a map, I myself have been drawing in my head where everything is according to my specific headcanon. As far as important places go it seems as though everything circulates around the art room, which I doubt is a good idea. What we should do is think of every necessary place a college would need to function, and work up from there.

The art center evolved as the center of everything because of us being stuck in it for so long. Realistically, the dojo and showers should not be off of it, but an office should be. It does make sense for the music room to be by it or part of the complex. You can also get base ideas from here, though we don't really need to be too faithful to that.

And perhaps we could plan out who plays what teachers ahead of time, and have head of houses or something similar? We need to plan out what classes we have better, too. Alchemy/potion brewing/rituals, possibly, depending what route we want to take?

--Silversmith Senna Spoon

F4D3
Group Admin

I understand, unfortunately I wasn't actually there for a good portion of us being in the dreamscape, so it just seems kinda off to me. I'm just saying it'd be better for us to spread things out a bit when it comes to where places are in accordance with each other. That link does help though, it gives me a much clearer idea of what might go where, as well as the atmosphere of the school.

And seeing as how we only have five teachers with several open slots for other subjects no one would bother teaching, planning who would teach what is an excellent. We should go over what characters we have so far as well as staff slots and plan out what we need and make sure every position gets filled as soon as possible and with a proper candidate.

Head of Houses could work, but I was thinking it would be better to have the wardens take that role. Of course for all I know having the teachers take it could work just as well. Regardless we should probably do something about our Wardens/Prefects, seeing as a few of them don't really participate in the RP as much as they should, as in at all.

Also... I don't mean to pry, but what do you think of my idea of adding a currency and experience system to the RP? I understand there's quite a few flaws in it, but do you think it could work after a bit of tweaking? I personally feel the currency bit has a shot, seeing as how many of the students have jobs that would instill a revenue through the school.

I should probably mention there are no pictures of the Green Lion entrance I know of, since I spent a good while looking for them. Spreading things out is a good idea. I do want to avoid everyone hanging out in one dorm. We need standard places that everyone usually hangs out in.

The more planning the better. Let's take a few days before rebooting, really, so we have something we're satisfied with. And the classes should be picked to maximize entertainment. Not every day, either. We'll need to think about frequency.M-W-F is possible, or once a week. I almost want to say on weekends, because I'm a lot more available then.

Before we decided on rebooting, I was already planning on doing a 'Rolecall' thread, where it was mandatory for everyone to post what characters they still had in the college, so we could get rid of all the people in the list that aren't actually playing. I'd been thinking about redoing the dorm threads already, too.

Perhaps we should share a google docs file around that everyone can contribute ideas and thread text to, and comment on. That way we have a fairly open process with lots of feedback.

Currency and xp would be fun. We'd want to make sure it was something easy people who didn't have experience roleplaying could use. [Though I have plenty of pen-and-paper experience.] And, honestly, if we use dice, I'd prefer to be able to use physical dice, simply because going to a dice website and back is hard when on a tablet. Zoki isn't the only one using one.

Maybe we should look around at existing systems. Fudge?

--Silvy

F4D3
Group Admin

A couple days at the least would be best before trying to reboot the college. Making sure there's more than just a few places for students to chat would be nice, although there might be some trouble behind getting them to actually use those different places. I feel as though each location should have its own allure to it, making students want to pay a visit there every once in a while.

Google Docs could work, but I doubt I'd be able to do anything with it as my gmail account doesn't really work for whatever reason.

Fudge could work, although I don't know all that much about it.

((It's getting rather late on my end, so I think I'll call it quits for now. See you later))

((I generally agree, and I'll see you later.))

1364873 I agree with you, but Im drunk so oopinion don't count for much

SCP Pinkamena
Group Contributor

1362831 The "No killing others unless the person who made said character says otherwise" rule, granted this is probably be a REALLY bad idea, but it's an idea nonetheless.

Midnight Words
Group Contributor

1362831 I dunno... maybe... STOP OVER POWERED CHARACTERS... thank you...

>admins only
fuck dat...I need to agree with this comment:rainbowdetermined2:
^this...all...of...this...

I can neither physically nor mentally agree with this comment any more than I already am without breaking physics and imploding the universe as a result

SweetAI Belle
Group Contributor

Um, we kinda need rules about not derailing threads, too. If a thread is in-universe, and a dozen message conversation about how all the players are doing today goes in the middle, it'll get where you can't get back to the original reason the thread was there. We really should have it where if things start to go off-topic, they go to another thread,

Best we can do with the current group controls is delete messages, leaving an ugly 'this post has been deleted' message for all time, unfortunately. I I wish knighty would give use proper tools to mange thread.

--Sweetie Belle

It occurs to me that we should go over the admin list a bit, too. Does everyone that is currently an admin want to be? (Angry Spez Brony, for example) And are there people that should be admins that aren't? A lot of the admin positions are based on school roles we're in the middle of rebooting.

--Silvy

Another random thought: how about adding an exit form to the new application thread for if a student is dropping out? That way we know if a character should be removed, assuming they use it.

--Silvy

F4D3
Group Admin

That rule really would help, trust me.:ajbemused:

But it might need some re-wording.

1365850>>1365762
Everything we're doing here will hopefully completely demolish all OP characters from existence.

Changing rule, contributors are also welcome.

I think what we should have is a single "Off-topic" Thread where any one can go to just talk. Hopefully doing this would get rid of the need to have "derailment" threads, which have also been plaguing this group as of late.

Good point, I honestly doubt this group needs ten admins as well as a founder in order to function properly. We should go over who should and shouldn't keep their title of admin, or at least move some people down to contributor.

An exit form could work, I think. :unsuresweetie:

1363039>>1362875>>1362833
I also think we should keep the discussions in this thread, as many of the other discussion threads don't really need to be there.

Also, I know Eru Iluvatar wants to be an admin, and I believe he would be a good candidate for the title.

I insist that we need a better character application guide to avoid OP. Make people give weaknesses to their chars.

F4D3
Group Admin

Yes, a complete rework of the application form is in order. But I think it would help if you answered the questions in character.

Example: "What do you think are your three greatest flaws?"

It'd make it fun.

I think we should have the two of them. One in character, and the other one out of character.

F4D3
Group Admin

That might work as well. Although do you mean filling out two different character sheets completely, or choosing between IC and OOC?

Choosing, but also being able to choose both if they want.

1367617 1367623 Okay my OC flaws....
Shyness
Only uses magic for making armor and weapons
give me a third one

That's another problem.

Let me bring in my group's character creation, and another group's character creation, because those weaknesses are horribly vague. :rainbowwild:

F4D3
Group Admin

1367652>>1367647
Yes, perhaps we should make a guideline stating you have to fill out the form in full body sentences.

Example: "One of my greatest flaws is that I tend to be a bit shy around others, and have trouble opening up to new people."

1367667 Okay that makes sense, so when will the thread go up?

Looky here, Spez.

This one's mine:

Name:
Species:
Race:
Physical Description:
Weaknesses:
Special Abilities:
Personality:
Personality Flaws:
Clothing/Armor:
OC Sexual Preference: