Pony Hybrids 1,075 members · 334 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
Captain Lunar
Group Admin

Longma. The mythological name for the creature that is what essentially a dragon-pony is would be a Longma(Chinese which literally means dragon horse). In Chinese mythology the Longma was a fabled winged horse with dragon scales, sometimes with more dragon-like features.

1397785 They are also called Kirin, and also Quilin

The Hippocamp/Hippocampus is sometimes portrayed as having the backside of a dragon, rather than horse.

And one of Tiamat's many titles included "Dragon Horse".

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

1397816 Meh, I prefer Longma.

1397785 Kirin/Qilin is a pretty common one.

The Kirin and Longma are two separate Mythological beings.

The Longma are an omen of the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors, essentially helping rulers when they need it.

the Chinese Kirin is portrayed as either hooved dragon, deer-dragon, or mishmash of various other animals including deer, dragons, fish, and ox.
No horse in any of those.

the Japanese Kirin is more of a deer-dragon rather than a pony or horse.

Because of the greater understanding from most I use Kirin, even if it's not strictly accurate. Mythology produces some good names. Like a Diamond Dog/Griffin hybrid could be called a Simurgh.

Yeah, but it's pretty common for people to refer to pony-dragon hybrids as kirin or qilin. I've never heard of longma as a term though. Personally, I find it sounding a bit too...oriental.

Fun fact: the steed of Xuanzang/Tang Seng, the monk from Journey to the West, is referred to as a longma, in the Chinese cartoon at the very least..

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

1398100 Well it sounds Oriental because it IS Oriental. Also, in addition to naming the mythic creature, Longma can mean "an eminent person"

Yes, well, qilin is also a Chinese word and it is much more common to see the more western version, kirin, used.

Also, the word is used in the old chengyu longma jingshen, meaning "vigorous spirit in old age".

Ah, the wonder that is wikipedia...

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

1398216 I just prefer Longma as it gives more variety.

1398286 Well well well, we've got quite the maverick over here...

Me, I prefer kirin. Rolls off the tongue better.. Ki-rin. Kirrrrrrrrin. Kirin. Can you roll the r's in longma? No, I didn't think so.

Also, the Chinese language traumatized at an early age. My parents have condition me to fear their very voice and they always spoke in Mandarin.

But I really do like the sound of r's. And hate L. Seriously, the sound it makes is nothing like its name.

Dash Attack
Group Admin

1397785 Interesting.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15