Sunset Shimmer 4,927 members · 6,752 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Looking at how the show can be inconsistent with Sunset's physical skill.

- She is shown using self defense moves when waking up in Legend of Everfree:

- She is in fencing according to Queen of Clubs:

- She is worse at jogging than Rainbow Dash and Sci-Twi in the Rainbow Dash ending for Stressed in Show, getting tired pretty quick:

- She is the only one other than Rainbow Dash to not win any events (said events being track and field, long jump, discus throw, gymnastics, ping pong, and ballet) in the Getting Seconds story in the March Radness comic:
https://imgur.com/a/X8meH1c

So given how inconsistent they are on Sunset's physical skill, how would you tend to see Sunset's physical skill? Obviously she's well below Rainbow Dash and Applejack in physical skill, but it is hard to get a read on how she compares with Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Sci-Twi in physical skill (though find it hard to believe she's weaker than Sci-Twi).

I'd say she's below RD and AJ, but above the others, so a middle ground in terms physical strength. I can Knowing those two, they'd probably help her catch up. I can see her knowing some self-defense, given that tiny scene shown above.

I didn't know Sunset took up fencing though! That gives her a unique edge on her other friends.

Yes, I'm disregarding the comics, since both they and the shows contradict each other HARD. Like, canon-breaking hard in some cases.

People can be worse at some things than others. She may not be as good as RD or AJ at certain athletic activities, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's worse physically than them. She might be better at some things than they are at them, like martial arts as you mentioned.

I agree with knightcommander, I think it's just that Sunset has more aptitude in certain sports while she struggles in others. If you think about it, martial arts and fencing aren't really about raw strength, but technical skill and precision. You're aiming for specific targets in those contact sports. The other sports she failed at (track and field, etc) are mostly strength/stamina focused. Maybe that's all there is to it?

VERY well said and excellent points. I would have just said that, like most cartoon characters, Sunset's level of ability is just as dependent on Rule of Funny as Rule of Cool (perhaps even more so), but you actually provided better, more logical reasoning. Well done.

Don't forget she can ride a motorcycle.

I think she’s below RD an AJ in terms of strength and stamina (and obviously speed with rainbow) but is probably more focused on finesse and control kinda the idea of using less to do more

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7