Sunset Shimmer 4,925 members · 6,762 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Basically, I'm gonna write a re-telling of Equestria Girls in the Sixth World (Shadowrun), though I had something I ended up thinking about.

For those of you who don't know, Shadowrun is a cyberpunk/fantasy world. The world is cyberpunk, but there were events that returned magic into the world, so basically you've got things like Ork shamans going up against hackers (or Deckers as the proper term for this world is (well if they use a cyberdeck and odds are they do)) working for megacorps.

Anyway though, I wanted to include some cybernetics on Sunset to distinguish that, "This Sunset is from the Sixth World," but I don't know how much.

Basically, when you give yourself cybernetics you have less magic, so originally I was just gonna simply give her an eye.

Something small enough that she'd still have plenty of essence, but noticeable enough that Twilight could see it after tackling her.

But, as I flipped through the Cybertechnology sourcebook it got me thinking about other things she may use.

Overall, the question became, how much would she be willing to get?

Again, the more cybernetics, the less magic, and that's where the question really comes in.

How important do you feel magic is to Sunset?

How much would she be willing to give up in order to improve herself?

Remember, she ran away form Equesria because she felt Celestia wasn't teaching her enough, could she do this not only to improve, but out of spite?

Again, first Equestria Girls, so she doesn't understand friendship and all that yet.

Another reason to think about it is because, if she gave enough up, she may have decided to take the crown as another source of power.

Anyway, just some things to think about.

Overall, the main point of this all is the simple question, how much magic do you feel Sunset would give up in exchange for machine to make her stronger?

Also, quick note, there's also the possibility of bioware, which is basically cloned and enhanced body parts, since they're still organic the cost isn't nearly as high to get some installed.

Anyway, opinions?

The question ya got there's a good one, chummer... so as a fellow fan of the Sixth World I'll toss in my nuyen for this.

Could see Sunset going about a quarter chromed out; cyber-eye or ear, datajack, maybe a chip jack for skillsofts and possibly a concealed weapon or some dermal plating. I can see her doing this because of a fascination with what she finds on the other side of the portal but doesn't realize at first what it is doing to her magic and that means she needs to find something powerful to replace it.

I can elaborate on this more later if you're interested but going into great detail on my phone is difficult

None; she'd use Firefox.

I could see that, and I would quite enjoy if you wanted to go more into detail when you're able, this is still planning so anything could be good.

Also, don't know if you knew, but there's a Shadowrun group now (I didn't bring it up because I didn't know how many other runners would be replying, I was mainly looking for opinions on Sunset).

:rainbowlaugh: :ajbemused: Now seriously, I'm trying to figure things out.

While I can see where you're coming from with the staying unicorn thing, I personally couldn't see it actually happen like that.

The Sixth World has magic, but I imagine that the magic is different enough from that of Equestria that she'd probably still transform.

Unicorns in the Sixth World are basically just horned horse (yeah, there's some differences but at their core, they're not all that special), and I personally don't think she would maintain her normal form.

Just like how everyone who went through in the normal universe changed to actually be something that universe had (Sunset and Twilight becoming human, and Spike becoming a dog).

An interesting theory, but I don't see it in practice.

Though, basically being a being of pure magic, I can definitely see a spike in essence.

I have to say that Sunset would likely go for cybernetics both as a curiosity and as a means to an end, but also out of necessity for one very simple reason.

The thing about the Sixth World is that I think when Sunset Shimmer got there, she'd be at first very happy to find a world that had magic (hermetic or shamanistic, doesn't really matter though I see her more on the Hermetic Side), but would realize very quickly that magic didn't work the same way that it worked in Equestria. Yes, I'm sure she's used to having at least some sort of magical drain when she's working big spells or the like or even if she was using telekinesis for a long period of time; but with the way magic in Shadowrun can literally exhaust you after a single spell if your not careful, I think she would have a serious level of shock at how the magic system works. That being said, when she couldn't rely on her magic as much as she would hope, she'd turn to cybernetics at least in part.

I think the first thing she would get would be a chipjack for two reasons. 1) they're one of the most common form of cyberware (at least the low-grade ones) or they were when I originally played and 2) with the right skill-softs she'd be able to get a LOT of information quickly without having to take the time to actually study for months at a time to learn about the world she finds herself in.

Next, I can see her finding out just how valuable information in the Sixth World really is, even moreso than it normally is, so the cybernetic eye and/or ear would be next on her list so that she'd have a way to record what she sees and hears whenever possible both to have as blackmail and simply for the ability to study it later on. Of course, if you're doing that, you have to have the internal memory storage so que the datajack and memory upgrades.

Anything beyond that would be subjective... dermal plating might seem like a good idea for her because it gives her a better survivability (armor is ALWAYS a good thing) and a cyber-weapon might give her a back up for when her magic is exhausted. But these are both dependent upon how dangerous the area around CHS is in the Sixth World.

However, it would be around this time that she would start realizing that her magic is actually getting weaker and would set out to find out why; which would of course lead to her finding the spiritual cost of chroming herself out and that would be the point she stops. But by that point it's also too late. Even if she took the cybernetics out, there is still the stain upon her spirit for using the technological upgrades. Fortunately for her, she knows where there are truly powerful and awe-inspiring magics that could act as god-tier foci if they were brought back to the Sixth World. At least that would be her hope.

This is the basics, I could probably elaborate a little more if you wanted/needed me to but this as much as I've thought about it thus far. I Didn't know about the Shadowrun group but I've joined it so let's see what happens.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, that's some really great stuff, and I can see it all working out really great.

If you wanted to keep going, we could go over PM or something to keep discussing other non-Sunset related things in the story, you really seem to know your stuff, and I'll be the first to admit I'm still a bit new.

I've checked it out a bit in the past, but I've really started now after I got Returns in December, and the Beginners Box for Christmas.

I'm still a bit new to the Sixth World, and have some ideas, but someone to bounce things off, and help work everything out is always good.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9