Battleships 299 members · 78 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

Is there anything more fitting of the ship name "Compensation"? with 24 sixteen inchers in four sextuple turrets, 18inces of armor, a speed of 25.2 knots.

I can't see the text really well.

They redrew the plans in 1934 to have EIGHT 20 INCH GUNS!

Possible Names for the class
America Class Super Battleship

Eh...nah. Largest guns I put on a battleship are 32-inchers. And they’re secondaries are dual-purpose 10-inch. Four three-gun turrets and ten tripple-mounted, respectively. Would show you a picture, but I dismantled the LEGO creation a few years back to make something new and never took one.

I will say this: both mine and the Tillman designs are no where near practical. They look cool as hell though.

That's going to be a maintenance nightmare.

This is what happens when politicians get mad at the navy and tell them to stop doing minor improvements and just build the biggest ship we can fit through panama

No matter how much I recognize battleships being inferior to carriers in naval warfare, I wish super heavy BB's still had some place in modern navies.

Yeah it’s be fun. Mayhaps railgun technology would make it relevant again

What is? My design with the thirty-two inchers, or the Tillman design?

While I too recognize (albeit begrudgingly) that carriers have surpassed battleships, many in the armed forces still recognize a need for an aspect that carriers cannot provide. That being long range gunnery support and bombardment support. Even missiles sometimes don’t make the cut for those aspects.

Five quadruple turrets built and maintained using WWI technology? I don't think their engineering was up to the task.

As I said, such designs are nowhere near practical, let alone possible. I’m surprised the US Navy Board even considered such a design, as it was decided that three guns was the maximum for effectiveness, just like 16-inches is the max effective size.

Now where is that Drachinfel Video...

HERE!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16