Random Romance 368 members · 37 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25
PaulAsaran
Group Admin

I hope everyone out there is having a great New Years! Better than mine, at least; me be sicker than Spike in The Return of Harmony Part II. :pinkiesick: But that's okay, sick means I get to spend time writing, so I'll live. :pinkiehappy: I want to see some New Years Resolutions!

Oh and remember that we've got till the fifth before the end of the December Contest. Just sayin'.

Danger Beans
Group Admin

My resolution: write more, read less. I've probably read more on the subject of writing alone than most English majors.
My problem is that I get so into researching whatever it is I want to do, that I never end up actually doing it.
IT SUCKS!

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

I was lucky, I guess. I found English classes a waste of time: I never studied, wrote my required papers the day before they were due and made straight A's.

Ick, I feel like I'm gloating. :trixieshiftright: Gonna stop now.

Now grammar. If only I'd taken the time to learn that perfectly! It's biting me in the ass now. :facehoof: Dang EQD and their pinhole-sized views.

punzil504
Group Contributor

I know the December Contest isn't over until the 5th, but is it possible to post the January couple sometime today for those who wish to brainstorm possibilities for the next contest?

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

I was wondering whether I should do that or not, actually. So yeah, I guess I can do the hat trick and figure out what's going on this month. :twilightsmile:

Daring Deux
Group Contributor

Did someone say Grammar:pinkiecrazy:!?

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

What, that foul word? Nope, not me, never, didn't say a thing. It's a lie, I tell you! :trollestia:

Daring Deux
Group Contributor

Aaargh:raritycry:! Comma splice! Comma splice:raritydespair:! Shun the grammatically incorrect:duck:!

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

I have enough of a grammar war with EQD to worry about going at it with my friends. :twilightblush: This is why I now have an editor who cares a lot more about these things than I do.

Daring Deux
Group Contributor

"Grammar war"? You mean that you're slowly learning how to shot grammar:trollestia:? War implies mutual conflict. Why not call it a grammar genocide? Fits with the whole "grammar nazi" thing, eh?

Bah, probably a bit to dark. Still gonna post it and regret it though!

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

I'm pretty sure they're ignorant of my vehemence. I feel my grammar is just fine. It's way better than what most people are doing and the modifications I make are specifically designed to clarify my intentions to the audience. The of the things they flag me for the vast majority of reader's don't notice - much less give a flying feather about - and many of their demands destroy the very impact I'm was trying to develop.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that good grammar is important. But perfect grammar I find pointless. I'd not bother trying to get on EQD at all if it wasn't for the extra PR I'm desperately in need of. :fluttershyouch:

Daring Deux
Group Contributor

While I think that sometimes they lose sight of the big picture to focus on the grammar, I can't back up your "good enough grammar" position. Errors are wrong in the absolute. And being wrong is never right. That being said, sometimes EQD doesn't work out. I know that sometimes they are bad about asking the writer to alter fundamental parts of their story because they can't reconcile the difference between something that is weak writing, and something that is different. Usually, though, they are right. Just, every once in a while a writer and a pre-reader get hooked up that just do not see eye to eye. It's going to happen. And when it does, you just have to remember that EQD is not the end-all, nor be-all. Not getting on there does not mean your fic is bad.

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

I wouldn't be trying to get my stories the extra attention if I didn't already think they deserved it. I don't need EQD to tell me my story's good, I just want more people to read them so that goodness can be shared! I'm terrible at self-promotion, though; it just feels wrong to me, like I'm gloating and calling myself great. I'm too modest for that, even when I legitimately believe my material deserves praise.

So I'm attempting EQD, even though I was rejected for having an apostrophe that faces the wrong way instead of anything actually worthy of attention (they pointed out more than that, but you get the gist).

As far as 'errors are wrong in the absolute', grammar in and of it self is imperfect. It should be used as a guide, not to lock everything into a cold and unfeeling cage with barbed wire for anyone who dares defy the system. As long as the audience understands the intentions in a meaningful way that doesn't grievously break the rules, I don't see the harm. There are wrong ways, there are right ways. Then there's too wrong and too right. I don't break any rules to flaunt the fact, I do it because I feel there is justified emotional, clarifying or sub-textual value in doing so.

Daring Deux
Group Contributor

There are a few things that are done differently depending on what style guide you check, but no critic worth their salt would count that against you as long as you're consistent. But if you're wrong, you're wrong, you know? But, hey! If you try to get better, you can treat being wrong as a blessing! The way I see it when someone corrects me, assuming they're not pulling it out of their asses, I don't have be wrong in the future! That's a boon, and a blessing.

I dunno. Weird words. I wish you luck with your run to get on EQD!

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

Oh don't get me wrong, I love constructive criticism. I'm always thrilled to get it! I just don't feel like their excuses for rejecting me was constructive, or productive.

Oh well, I think it's past time we closed the book on this debate. Thanks for the luck, I may just need it! :twilightblush:

punzil504
Group Contributor

I've heard a lot of horror stories about EQD rejections, some going so far as to claim that an author portrayed background ponies like Derpy and Bon Bon out of character. How is that even possible? Bon Bon doesn't even HAVE a personality.

Oh, and I submitted my story to the Mods. Fingers crossed, hopefully it passes.

*Edit* It passed! It's in...

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

My new editor went through my contest entry or December. As soon as the contest is over an a winner is announced I'll upgrade it to include the edits and submit it to EQD. I think it really has a solid chance. :pinkiecrazy:

punzil504
Group Contributor

Now that mine's finally in, I'm going to read yours and Surprise's... as well as the other Walter Mitty styled fic that came out a few days ago to see how that author did using Octavia in Walter's role. I've got a lot to catch up on. :pinkiehappy:

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

Wait, what?

*Goes to check submissions*

Hey, somebody else did submit! I was starting to think it would just be the two of us. That makes me feel SO much better. :twilightsmile:

Danger Beans
Group Admin

Errors are wrong in the absolute. And being wrong is never right.

First off, I love you (In the platonic sort o' way).
Second off, have you read the story we're supposed to review yet? :Evilgrin:

I'll be the first to acknowledge that good grammar is important. But perfect grammar I find pointless. I'd not bother trying to get on EQD at all if it wasn't for the extra PR I'm desperately in need of. :fluttershyouch:

There is a valid reason to "hammer the grammar" so to speak. Most of the people who use EQD to find stories, are either a.) people like me, who are tired of seeing "lavender unicorn" and "navy blue alicorn" being used to over and over again in place of names. And b.) other EQD featured writers. And they'll notice grammar. Most EQDF authors are completely anal about grammar; they wanted to get onto EQD. So they will notice.

Daring Deux
Group Contributor

Shut up, mom!

Also I love you in the platonic sort of way that is very sexual, and not at all platonic:heart:.

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

I have absolutely no intention of getting drawn into another grammar debate. It's pointless, because nobody's going to be changing their minds. I certainly won't be.

That said, I've already agreed that grammar is important in the first place. I'll stop reading a story pretty quick if it ignores basic grammar. But I don't give a pony's rump about misdirected single-quotes and the difference between an en dash and an em dash. If that's all it takes to get rejected, it's going to far.

There, that's it, I've said my piece! I'm now zipping my mouth, locking it with a key, digging a hole, burying the key, building a house on top of the hole where I buried the key and moving into the house on top of the hole!

And after going through all that, I realize I type with my hands. :facehoof:

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

Second off, have you read the story we're supposed to review yet?

Crap. I forgot all about the reviews, myself! Yeah, those are due from you two by tomorrow, aren't they? :unsuresweetie: Guess I don't have to remind either of you, now.

Danger Beans
Group Admin

I'm am obsessive when it comes to schedules. I'll have my review in tomorrow night sometime.

PaulAsaran
Group Admin

I used to be obsessive about them. Now I'm wondering what happened to my old diligence.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25