Circle of Friends 177 members · 1,151 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

So I like adding story references and stuff to my story and I'll add more later but as it stands can anyone think of good Ponified names for:

Issac Asimov

Carl Sagan

Richard Feynaman

Alister Crowley

Judy Hall

and

Lao Tzu.

1188824 Personally, I don't like "ponified" names.

I'd rather like a creative name that, when combined with a "work" that also has a different name, can be connected to the original name.

Such as Isaac Asimov becoming "Fictitious Science", who is the writer of "The Mechanical Being I Am", rather than "I, Robot."

But what of his non-fiction works?

Such as those found here.

He had tons of scientific works. Such as the book referenced in my latest story.

"Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology, New Rev." , That is a rather specific form of work, and isn't Fictitious.

That's why I'm looking for people who aren't saying "No Don't I don't do this", and more to people who are willing to help bounce ideas.

Inclined to agree with MoldyShishkabob, though they've done it in the show with some BG ponies, eg Dr. Hooves, Bruce Mane, etc. Some names are not Ponyfiable and alternate references should be made. Most Ponyfications are the consequence of acoustic similarity, others may be done as suggested by MoldyShishkabob and use a descriptive reference to make the association. Another option is just to use one part of the individual's name, eg. a pony modeled reference for Issac Asimov may just be a pony named Asimov.

Still some options for your querry include: Assic Assimov (technically more of a Donkeyfication), Carl Neighgan, Alistrot Crowley, and Judy Hallter. Simple name uses would likely be Asimov, Sagan, and Crowley, dropping the associated first names.

In the case of Lao Tzu the name can be left as is just because it does not really fit in the occidental phonetic lexicon. A reference to the individual being from another part of Equestria may be suitable in this instance such as Chineigh (China)/ Chineighse (Chinese).

Hope this helped.:twistnerd:

Ice Cube = Ice Colt Tupac = Tupony LeBrony James Kid Cudi = Colt Cudi

1189074 Well, I was just giving an example.

His name could be "Biochemical Typewriter" or something.

Good examples.

1189660 1189137

So both of you think that just using their names as they appear in Earth is good? and not a turn off?

1189690 It's fine with me.

Personally, I wouldn't care.

I'm horrible with naming in the first place.

It's a matter of looking at how they use similar material in the show really. GanjaPony had some great ones that really fit with the flow of the ... ponyverse? :rainbowhuh: others have to be worked on the merits of how they fit with your readership.

For example in the last chapter I posted, one character was reading a book on 'unnatural' (for Equestria) weather formations, the chapter also references the film Twister, so I assigned the author of the book the ponysona of a pegasus named Fujita. (get the reference?)

The process involves one of the shows endearing features: allusion. Sometimes a little side on approach works. Other times, you gotta pick up the old 'clue-bat' and swing for the fences because, we know, sometimes our readers are thicker than mud. :duck:

I don't get the reference unfortunately. Most of the Ponified names I've been using are the ones that I pick up in other stories. And I wouldn't say our readers are thick as much as I'd say there's somethings they may not get :twilightblush:. And yes ponyverse sounds about right. At the very least for talking about the FIM-Multiverse as a whole.

Okay, as an example the reference I used refers to the Fujita and Enhanced Fujita Scales used to measure the relative destructive forces and wind speed of tornadoes.:twistnerd: It's an example of using real world names in the ponyverse. For the most part using ponyfied or non-ponyfied references will largely depend on the context they are being used in. In the example used, the hope was to get the reader to make the connection with the name and the setting elements in a piece of foreshadowing.

If your looking for more naming examples I would suggest the List of Ponies from the MLP Wiki. Now I don't know how you plan on using the names you listed initially. But the context of the reference use is the most important part.:twilightsmile:

As to the comment regarding readers, I was paraphrasing something, the essence of which is: Sometimes a person will pick up things in the peripheral with amazing clarity without any help, and sometimes you have to throw them out of a burning building because they are totally unaware of the fact they really need to get out, now! (Reality: I dealt with a cub-scout once who split his hand open because they wanted to see if the knife was sharp):facehoof::twilightangry2::facehoof:

That is amusing [both the Fujita scale and the fact that someone would cut themselves to see if a knife is sharp :facehoof: That's like asking if water is wet.].

As for the naming context. A nice band list was because bands live Avenged Sevenfold [which I was told in fanon is Avenged Ponyfold], Stained, Linkin Park, ect. Would make an intro. In one of my stories that have two music lovers, thus tons of music mentioned and I don't know if it's common to do ponified names or use their actual names [new writing].

And the ones I previously listed were for Science / Magic text, and authors that Twilight, or Soul Shard [my OC] would/could mention in passing. Asimov was going to be ponified in Filly Twilight Gets Banned From the Book Club, but I decided to use his real life name.

I know there's canon Nicolti Tesla in a few fics [the only one that comes to mind right now is A World without Rainbows.], and Ludwig Van Beethooven in a few Vinyl Fics, and an honorable mention in Death of Princess Luna.

Who's this "And" person?:trollestia:

I can now see what you are asking about clearly. The examples you give also illustrate my point regarding the use of ponyfication as word play. Google for lists of common equestrian (as pertaining to horse riding not MLP) terms and play around a bit. I used the ponyfication Neighthovan in one of my own pieces. And yes, certain things like band names and potential copyright issues should be ponyfied to avoid said issues, eg. Metallica = Hooftalica. Also when names include elements foreign to MLP's equiestria eg. Guns 'n' Roses = Blades 'n' Roses.

I must say it's been a hoof having this discussion with you for my own enlightenment. You're obviously much smarter than the cub-scout. Please feel free to bounce questions my way if you care.:eeyup:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15