The Coalition Against Adminless Groups 70 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
arcum42
Group Admin

Just thought I'd leave a thread here for generally talking about orphaned groups as a whole, rather then any specific ones.

arcum42
Group Admin

For this group, I'm pretty much assigning admin rights to anyone I notice joined that I feel should be an admin. If you notice that I turned you into an admin, that doesn't mean you have to do admin duties here, but feel free to do so if you want.

If you want to be an admin and I didn't turn you into one, feel free to ask. And the same goes for if I made you an admin and you don't want to be, thought I'd point out that you should be able to take care of that one yourself.

Largely, I'm assigning admin rights to people I know have strong opinions on the subject, or are already admins I know in groups I'm in.

bookplayer
Group Admin

I think I mentioned this in the CMC group thread, but I'll go into a longer version here.

I see both sides of an issue here. On the one hand, there are going to be situations where groups are orphaned, whether through carelessness (like the CMC group) or accident (like the Sweetie Belle group.) One would think there'd be some method of dealing with that, so that major groups can keep going in the face of that. From this point of view, a group has hundreds of members and stories, and it's not so much that no one wants to change it, it's that no one can.

On the other hand, groups are easy to make, and there's no such thing as an official group. If I wanted to make a group to compete with the Shipping group, I could do that, despite it being one of the biggest groups here and linked on the groups page sidebar. From this POV, if you don't like how the CMC group is set up it doesn't really matter. Make your own CMC group and set it up how you want, and attract your own members.

Now, the second one is a valid option. About a year ago, DbzOrDie didn't like the hands off approach the admin of the appledash group had, so he and I started AppleDash. Thanks to our moderation and some community building efforts, our group is now the primary AppleDash group, far ahead of the original one.

If anyone with an orphaned group wants to go that route, and create a new version in hopes of becoming the "official" one, I'd be happy to publicize your new group on my blog and to help get the word out.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Well, during my attempts, I've found out that only knighty or Xaquseq can actually do anything about group rights, according to Wlah, so that'll narrow down who to contact, anyways.

arcum42
Group Admin

That may very well be necessary. I'm trying everything I can first, though. If we only have two people that can make changes, that certainly limits things.

I'll certainly appreciate your help, if it comes down to that, though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5