Terraria 163 members · 16 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

So, for those of you who don't know, StarBound is a game that was in early access in 2014 and only released in full this July. It is very Terraria-like, and some argue over which one is better.

So, for those have played it, which do you like more? I only got it yesterday, so I can't really say, except for this much: StarBound's is so much more beautiful than Terraria in both visuals and music. Gameplay-wise, it's kind of like Terraria meets No Man's Sky, so that's pretty cool.

5481228 I haven't played enough of StarBound to judge yet.

My time has come at last...

I've got 446 hours of Terraria and 68 hours of Starbound under my belt, and there's a reason for that imbalance. I can say with absolute certainty that Terraria is better, as far as I can tell. Starbound, despite its claims of being finished, does not feel finished at all. It feels clunky and awkward, especially the user interface. It's also very repetitive (the No Man's Sky comparison is pretty accurate). The quests help to break it up a bit, but the routine is the same with almost every planet, even with the main questline. While Starbound does have a far more straightforward plot than Terraria (if Terraria even has a plot at all), it's pretty generic and not very interesting. The weapons are all pretty comparable within your level, so most of them are junk and all have similar damage vs. energy spent ratios. The moons... the moons are just silly and annoying with the challenge they present (trying to avoid spoilers if you don't know what I mean). The crafting system can be pretty confusing, just making new things I don't need in the hopes it unlocks new recipes. And for some reason (instant character acceleration, I suspect), I keep accidentally sliding off platforms and falling to my death. And that's not even mentioning the frequent framerate drops I get whenever I go to that hub station place or if there's just a lot going on (and I rarely get framerate issues with much more resource-intensive games).

Overall, Terraria just plays a lot more smoothly than Starbound. It's just easier to do things and more satisfying. And it has ropes. And grappling hooks. And painting. Really, it makes perfect sense that Terraria would be more polished and have more to do. It's had a lot more time to develop. But hey, don't let me discourage you. There are a lot of people who prefer Starbound. Play for a while and get a feel for the game, see how you like it. It's worth playing for a while, yeah, and has much improved over the years (less clunky and awkward than before), but it just falls short for me. I keep coming back to Terraria, but I almost never feel like giving Starbound another go.

5481695 The few hours I've put into StarBound have already gotten me to disagree strongly with everything you said. Don't get me wrong, I love Terraria and everything about it, but compared to StarBound it's just... Blegh.

A lot of it may just be a matter of taste. I just find many things about Starbound annoying. Or maybe it just takes a while for it to get stale.

Lagbound has a lot of promise but as time has worn on it's become clear that a good number of those promises will not be kept. Hell, without the recently added workshop support it's almost as bland now as it was two years ago. At least back then I got more than 10FPS on planets, though.

5483471 Now, Terraria is great, and I don't like to shit on when people dislike something I like, but:

>Evidently dislikes StarBound
>Member of the StarBound group

I will now proceed to forever nitpick this one thing.

Did you miss the part where I said "has a lot of promise but as time has worn on"? I bought the thing when it first came out and enjoyed it for what it was back then. As time has passed, however, its issues have mounted. Now with the 1.0 update they've inexplicably slashed a quarter of the functional content, the game lags worse than ever before, a great many people have found themselves suddenly unable to even start it up anymore and the developers seem just as set to ignore the game's issues now as they were in beta.

5485565 The fuck are you talking about?

Maybe I just lucked out, but SB has the least lag and highest frame rate than any other game I've ever owned on the computer. It runs literally perfectly.

Luz

5485567 You're annoying as hell. That's it.

5485578 Again, maybe I just lucked out. I've never had a game run so smoothly before.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14