Silver Spoon 692 members · 489 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

DT and SS have been best friends since the beginning of the show, but how did they meet? My headcanon is that DT once protected Silver Spoon from being bullied and they became friends because of it. But over the years, Diamond started becoming a bully too, and Silver was afraid that she'd lose her only friend and become a social pariah if she tried to tell DT to stop. To help her cover, she joined in on whatever mean stuff Diamond had planned for the CMC, but she always felt bad about it. However, since Flight to the Finish, she's been feeling worse and worse about what she and her friend are doing. Now she's torn; should she just say no and put a stop to DT's bullying, but risk losing her best friend? Or should she just play along and let DT ruin the lives of three innocent fillies?

Talk it up in the comments!

4102577 Hmm, that actually sounds like a good plot of a story.

4102582 You can write if you want; I'm waaaaay too busy with my own stuff right now.

4102585 Same here. Once I'm finished with these two stories I'm working on, I'm going to take a well earned break from writing for a while.

4102582 I shall write it!

Wow, that's what I'm doing for my story as well. It's a side note in the story but I made it to where DT and Silver were bullied and that is what lead to DT being the bit-bully she is today.

The show always plays Silver as the lackey which is kind of sad when you think about it. I like Silver and DT but they need something to change for them to make them better. There was a story where Discord took DT and put her in a world where she never existed and life was still going on in her absence. It was cruel but I felt it was a 'way' to change her.

This is still a swell idea though. No one ever asked what the lackey felt.
4102595 DO IT! DO IT FOR US! If you wont then I will! I want silver to transition between bully and friend with the CMCs ! And ship her with Scoots!

4102610 I'm not going to ship her with Scoots.

Got to say that's my least favorite sort of headcanon for Silver Spoon. It changes her from being a confident pony to a lackey. A pathetic suck up. Even worse, it is an overly used trope, and so you get the same Silver Spoon story over and over again. It isn't particularly a good one. Silver Spoon, one of the cool kids at school, for some inexplicable reason wants to be friends with the uncool kids. In the process, she dumps her best friend, but that's all okay, because everything is all her friend's fault anyway. Just blech. It's white-washing drivel.

I far prefer that Diamond and Silver Spoon are friends because they have things in common. Silver Spoon is an antagonist. She's a popular kid, rich, and a bit spoiled. She feels superior to others, and due to that, she does pick on the least cool kids in class. It isn't nice, but if one were at all inclined to such behavior, the CMC are the target you'd choose. That doesn't mean she can't have good sides. It doesn't even mean she can't become friends with the uncool kids. But she can do all that and stay true to herself, including keeping her best friend.

Embrace her antagonistic side and add layers to her beyond that. Explore her potential beyond the same tired story.

4102610 The show usually doesn't lackey her, actually. She only comes across that way in a single episode, "Twilight Time", which is a Polsky episode, and even there she has her moments (like when she shoves Pip away). The rest of time, she instigates about as much as DT does, takes back her milkshake without a second thought, and has no problem whatsoever displaying that she likes Granny Smith's story. There is far more evidence that they're equals than anything to the contrary, though Diamond does usually figure a bit more prominently in the story (due to it being her party and her family's relationship with AB's).

4107949 That's a good point. I never thought of it that way before. I always thought she was too quick to jump at everything DT says but hey you know everyone interprets differently even if it's as simple as you say it is. Funny the things we don't think about until someone says it huh?

4108329 Yup. A lot of it I think has to do with Silver Spoon existing as a character primarily so that Diamond has someone to talk to, to bounce things off of. What Spoon really needs is her own "Ponyville Confidential" or "Call of the Cutie". An episode where she is the driving force behind the plot, where we see what is important to her.

My thought is that Diamond was the first real friend Silver ever had, and as such, she's not entirely sure what to do and copies Diamond because she admires her confidence and swagger. As for how the two met in the first place, perhaps Silver Spoon's father is a valued employee or business partner of Filthy Rich's and he hooked Silver Spoon up with his daughter after Silver's father told her of the difficulties Silver Spoon was having making friends. Silver's view on friendship is extremely warped (as is Diamond's for that matter, but this post isn't about her); in my headcanon, Silver knows what Diamond is doing is wrong, but she goes along with it anyway because friends stick by their friends and support them no matter what. Your friend wants to insult a crippled pony for being crippled? Better help her out, 'cause that's what friends do! After all, you don't want to lose Diamond Tiara as a friend, do you?

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

My thought is that Diamond was the first real friend Silver ever had, and as such, she's not entirely sure what to do and copies Diamond because she admires her confidence and swagger.

This is pretty close to my headcanon too. My idea is that both of them had problems making friends because both had difficulties relating to other ponies. Silver, with her high class background, couldn't figure out how to bring herself down to the level of the common pony, and Diamond, being spoiled rotten, couldn't figure out that she was driving friends away with her controlling and demanding attitude.

Together, however, the two cover each other's flaws. Diamond helps Silver to open up in ways she couldn't do by herself. Silver helps temper Diamond's unbecoming tendencies.

Basically, they're apple pie. :)

Silver Spoon, one of the cool kids at school, for some inexplicable reason wants to be friends with the uncool kids. In the process, she dumps her best friend, but that's all okay, because everything is all her friend's fault anyway. Just blech. It's white-washing drivel.
I far prefer that Diamond and Silver Spoon are friends because they have things in common. Silver Spoon is an antagonist. She's a popular kid, rich, and a bit spoiled. She feels superior to others, and due to that, she does pick on the least cool kids in class. It isn't nice, but if one were at all inclined to such behavior, the CMC are the target you'd choose. That doesn't mean she can't have good sides. It doesn't even mean she can't become friends with the uncool kids. But she can do all that and stay true to herself, including keeping her best friend.

That not how my version of the story goes. At all.

Silver Spoon is in no way rich. Her family (her mom, dad, and her), are middle class citizens- meaning that they don't live in a mansion, but they aren't begging on the streets, either. Her parents love making her happy, but she is not the least bit spoiled by them (that's her grandma's job).

Silver Spoon has no intention of ever being friends with the crusaders. She feels sorry for them, but she's simply not brave enough to stand up to her friend to make it stop, so she lets it happen.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon once did have things in common, back before Diamond started to pick on the other kids (explanation for why she picks on her classmates is in the story). But their personalities clash positively, (Silver is smart, bookish and a bit insecure and shy, while Diamond is outgoing, fun, and loves fashion and style) making it easy for them to connect.

So as you see, what you have perceived as a vanilla, run of the mill Silver Spoon redemption story is quite the opposite. I suggest you read it. You may be surprised by what you find.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16