Into the Black 323 members · 4 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33
shirotora
Group Admin

Mana:

Mana is the base form of magical energy. Mana's main attribute is that it can be transformed into other type of energy as easily as wiggling a finger. Most unicorns stop realizing they are even doing it after a couple of years, some never even realize they do it to begin with. Once mana is transformed, turning it back into mana is difficult and uses more energy than is recovered, so it just isn't done.

The Schools of Magic: The different schools are separated by the type of energy used in the casting. Each type of energy behaved in a very different way. Though there are dozens more schools than listed here, they are obscure and limited in application. These are the most common.

Schools:

Arcane: Not a true school, it includes the use of raw mana. This is the basic form of magic and the form that unicorns start learning.

Telekinesis: Redirects the force of lifting to the ground, using the caster as a fulcrum. Being the fulcrum, one cannot use telekinesis on oneself.

Magic bolt: Simply a wad of raw magical energy fired at a target. Being so tightly packed, it explodes on contact.

Nature: The simplest of the true schools, it uses elemental energy to manipulate the forces of fire, air, water, and earth. Although each element uses a slightly different sub-type of energy, they are the only ones in which changing the energy from one element to another is as easy as changing mana. No matter the sub-type, the energy behaves wild and erratic, making holding it for an extended period difficult. The spells of this school tend to be quick and easy. The higher level spells can bend the natural world to the caster's will and are truly sights to behold.

This school is more an art than a science and thus has no set “spells”. Instead it follows the caster's will and emotion. Often, during times of powerful emotion, powerful mages will literally become one with a certain element making spells with that element extremely powerful. Fire, which can include the removal of heat, is represented by passion and anger. Air, which includes lightning and rain, is ruled by competitiveness and wanderlust. Water's emotions are depression and contentment. Earth has stubbornness and protectiveness.

Pegasi naturally use air magic for flight (which for unicorns is an X-class spell), manipulate weather, and generate lightning. Earth ponies use earth magic to increase their strength and resilience, enhance soil, invigorate plant-life, and even, at times, mold the earth to their will.

Perception: Uses illusionary energy to alter sensory input to the brain and affect the way the brain perceives its surroundings. This energy is unique in that few unicorns can properly “see” it like they can the others. Spells in this school create fields of energy that radiate false sensory information such as images, sounds, or the taste of food. Higher level Perception spells can even alter the way one reacts towards an object or individual, creating hatred for the subject or a need to possess it. It's a very subtle school that requires an intimate knowledge of the brain’s functions.

Spells: Projection: Displays a memory of the caster in the air as a 2-D “movie”

Want it, Need it: a visual based emotional manipulator, Want it, Need it, or “WiNi”, fools the observer into seeing the subject as a far greater version of itself and sends the feeling of greed into overdrive. When asked to describe the doll, victims of the infamous “Smarty Pants incident” described it differently. Some described a jewel encrusted figure of high grad Saddle Arabian silk, while others described it as resembling a famous celebrity. One stallion, a local farmer, claimed it reminded him of his long deceased mother.

Alteration: Uses matter manipulation energy to transform properties of matter. This is a very versatile school of magic, but requires a level of fine control that makes it difficult to use. It affects things on the molecular level, altering things like mass, gravitational pull, and molecular structure. It can also manipulate the magnetic fields of ferrous matter, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. Considering Alteration can control the four fundamental forces of nature, it is popular among physicists.

Necromancy: Uses life energy to restore, repair, and revitalize organic tissue. Originally made to bolster the ranks of armies with the undead, this school was outlawed for centuries. It wasn't until it was discovered that the same magic that restored a corpse to basic functioning condition could also heal the wounds of the living that it was legalized, and research into it began anew. Raising the dead is illegal with the exception of Dead Marsh. The toxic air prevents ponies from spending long gathering the lifesaving herbs found only there, as any that enter without oxygen would be dead in under a minute. Ponies, should they choose, can enter a contract that allows their body to be used to gather the medicines after their death. The volunteer’s family is well paid for the service.

Space-Time: Uses Conjuration energy to link to points in space-time. Despite being a simple concept, this is the most advanced school of magic. The list of potential problems that can result from this school tend to scare most away. The slightest miscalculation could have results ranging from damaged property, and loss of limbs, to death and even summoning something from another plane of existence. Teleportation, summoning, and pocket dimensions are examples of spells in this school.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Uhhh....

Just so you know, I'm going to be complaining a lot.

A LOT

First off, you might want to format this. I had to reread a couple sections in order to get your train of thought. Perhaps using bullets or numbering like I do.

Once mana is transformed, turning it back into mana is difficult and uses more energy than is recovered, so it just isn't done.

I still don't understand why you think it is necessary to have multiple types of magics for several different schools, for lack of a better word, of magic. It seems needlessly complex and coupled with a a literary narrative and not a more choice and consequence narrative, like D&D, it feels unnecessary. I don't understand why people can't just pick their own choices under the guise it is difficult to become proficient. Under this logic, someone could just let go of the magic that was transformed and get some more. It provides a virtually unlimited loop of energy for someone to gather.

Now if gathering more mana/energy/whatever somehow incurred a drain, that provides an unnecessary and unneeded link in the process.

Gather Mana --- Transform Mana --- Use Mana
Gather Mana --- Transform Mana --- Release Mana --- Gather Mana --- Transform Mana --- Use Mana

The transformation stage is completely arbitrary. It literally does nothing. It takes no time, there is no negative consequence for overdrawing or releasing, and it adds something for the reader to remember that he or she doesn't really need to. Just sticking with a singular pool of mana that all people can access is easier on the reader and simpler to understand.

Additionally, why can't it be reverted? Since the base nature is known to every magic user, why is it not easier than a discounted Thai hooker during the Vietnam War? Why is one way easy, and the other difficult in terms of energy conversion?

The Schools of Magic: The different schools are separated by the type of energy used in the casting.

Really vague to the point of confusion. Actually, this line adds a lot of problems.

The first is that the schools are divided by the magical content and not the target goal. That's like my course major is History because I took American History 1800-Onward and the Native American Experience. No, I'm CIS. Those classes were just electives. The content does not decide the goal. I'm confused here.

And now for a load of questions this line creates. This additional magic stage leaves me really disgruntled, but I'll roll with it for a moment. How is new energy created? Does it take subtle magical manipulation? If so, how long does it take to learn how to do that? What classes do you need? Is there a school for creating schools of magic? How do you get a degree or expertise in that job?

Perhaps the energy and mana was always there? How? Why? Is it background radiation or some BS like that? Was it just always there along with the big bang? Did some great Cthuloid beast create it when time was null and thought was nothing but a current idea?

How did we know that that we could do this? Is the discovery current or ancient? Who first learned how to do it? Did we do it first or did we just rediscover it? How could we discern what the hell we were doing? Since magic is ephemeral and uncontrollable, how long did it take for us to finally control it and discover/create schools?

What exactly constitutes a different magic? Is there a frequency? How is it measured? How did we find it? How long did that take? If there is different energies for different schools, can I just make a subtle change and create a new school? What defines a new school?

What exactly is this energy? Is it tangible? Visible? Is it measure in some respect? Perhaps vibrational frequencies? Does it have a taste? How do we keep track of them all? Is it a conscious or subconscious thing? Do we have access to them all at once? What happens when we get an energy we've never dealt with? Does it explode or something? Can we manipulate it if we've seen other people use it enough? Is there a tenor to each energy type? Can it be felt? Can it be manipulated? Can I fuck with people who have energy already prepared?

What happens when I discover a new type of energy? Is there some kind of form I fill out? Do I need to alert someone? Is it going to cost money on stamps? What do I do with it? How do I perfect it? Can it be perfected? What do I do with it? Can I patent it? How do I use an energy when it has no recognizable school? Is there a school for finding schools?

Jesus, that was about ten seconds of thoughts.

Arcane: Not a true school, it includes the use of raw mana.

Why not? What purpose does this energy actually have in terms of schools? Why is a school judged on energy alone? Can't it be considered to have a null frequency whatever for energy? It's another issue with the vague nature of this energy.

Being the fulcrum, one cannot use telekinesis on oneself.

Twilight did. Crystal Empire next to the Forbidden Door.

Being so tightly packed, it explodes on contact.

What does being energy have to do with it? Electromagnetism is energy. Infrared is energy. Sure, concentrated bursts of heat an light hurt. How does the the act of concentration cause it to explode? Does it have a half life or something? Is it reactive with oxygen or foreign molecules? I don't get it.

Nature: The simplest of the true schools, it uses elemental energy to manipulate the forces of fire, air, water, and earth.

Shamanism dude. It's called shamanism.

Wait wait wait, why is this the simplest? Why is it considered simpler? Does it use less energy or something?

Although each element uses a slightly different sub-type of energy,

Here we go again.

What constitutes an element? The basic classical elements? Is it restricted to those four? What about when there is a combination of them? What about molten steel? Liquid Oxygen? Dust in the wind, yo? What about those that are not tied to any typical M-Class planet? What about a piece of dark matter? What about a piece of a sun's corona? That's superheated to fuck. Surely that's fire, right?

What about the periodic table? Do you need a subtly different energy type for each? That'd suck. What about additional elements? Do we need new energy for newly discovered elements? Can we have new energy for an element we've never seen or dealt with?

Although each element uses a slightly different sub-type of energy, they are the only ones in which changing the energy from one element to another is as easy as changing mana.

Why? I don't understand why such a thing is even possible. I imagine it would be even more difficult due to the intricate details it involves. Since the base nature is known to all, why is it not easy? And why only these four? Why can't I turn one type of energy into another? Why can't I turn Enchanting into Summoning?

No matter the sub-type, the energy behaves wild and erratic, making holding it for an extended period difficult.

Why is it difficult? Is there some way to not make it like that? Can't practice make it easier? What about those like Zecora? Shamanism's a cakewalk for her.

The spells of this school tend to be quick and easy. The higher level spells can bend the natural world to the caster's will and are truly sights to behold.

What constitutes "quick and easy"? Is it fast and easy to learn? How fast? Does it mean that it is fast to learn, or fast to cast? Does it take practice time? Can anyone do it? Can greehorn's do it? Would higher level spells impress me, being as I am a jaded as fuck misanthrope? (When using descriptions, try to avoid using hyperboles).

This school is more an art than a science

Why?

and thus has no set “spells”.

Why? Why does the notion of an art not invoke any spells? It is a type of magic, as it invokes mana.

Instead it follows the caster's will and emotion.

So if I am pissed at some jerkass cutting me off in the tube and then see a scantly clad picture of a smoking hot woman on the wall, will that have any effect on my abilities? Does maintaining an emotion calm provide the optimal base point for Shamanism? What if I am incapable of certain emotions? What if I am a sociopath? Am I incapable of fully utilizing Shamanism?

Often, during times of powerful emotion, powerful mages will literally become one with a certain element making spells with that element extremely powerful.

How often does this occur? Is there a percentage? Is it a percentage that always holds true, or is it just an average? What kind of emotions count? Does apathy count as an emotion? How closely linked to emotions is it? Why emotions? Shouldn't emotions just make them more powerful due to the greater focus that it grants? Anger is a paralytic. Love and devotion is a motivator. Shouldn't certain emotions statistically be more useful and provide greater boosts in power?

What constitutes being one with an element? Does that mean that there is a certain elemental spirit? If so, what does it take to bond with it? Can it reject you? If it is just an element, how do you change back? Wouldn't turning to fire just kill you? Is there some kind of protection involved? Does the power come from emotion itself, or from the transformation? Are they linked? Can you get stronger powers without transforming? Can you transform without getting stronger powers? How does the act of transformation make spells stronger?

Fire, which can include the removal of heat, is represented by passion and anger.

What kind of passion? Does that mean like some kind of strong emotion? Does it mean passionately angry? Does me wanting to call a lightning storm on a motherfucker's house differ from getting revenge for my wife's murder? What if I feel the intense desire to feel nothing? Is desire and passion linked?

Air, which includes lightning and rain, is ruled by competitiveness and wanderlust.

How? Rain is water. Does placement really matter? Does letting go of a match in the air count as air elemental? Does tipping water out of a cup mean the same thing? That's the problem when dealing with absolutes. When dealing with mystical and magical forces, it is those times where it is best to be vague. Unless your goal is to explain magic, don't explain magic. Let the readers do what they want with them. For instance, you go lightning and rain from air. I can conjure up the emotions of freedom, flight, and a hint of madness. Each person has their own ideas. Don't commit to these things, for if you do, there is no going back. Why just competitiveness and wanderlust?

Water's emotions are depression and contentment. Earth has stubbornness and protectiveness.

Again, don't commit. Why are these attributed to raw elemental power? Why just these? Why so specific? Aren't there others? It might be better to attribute these to secondary sources. For instance, use the Fetishes I made as a reference. Earth Fetishes, not Earth itself, can boost vitality and metabolism. Not Earth itself, a reflection, an interpretation of Earth does this. Once you commit, you lose a little of what make magic special. Once you give it a set of rules, the mystic is diminished.

Pegasi naturally use air magic for flight (which for unicorns is an X-class spell),

The hell is that? I didn't see a reference for such a thing.

...manipulate weather, and generate lightning.

I conditionally accept this as plausible, but how? The only ones we see doing this are the Wonderbolts, but that can easily be interpreted as a theatrical trick. How do they do such a thing?

Earth ponies use earth magic to increase their strength and resilience, enhance soil, invigorate plant-life, and even, at times, mold the earth to their will.

Again, I can accept this, but I don't see a canonical show reason as to why. Given that Earth Ponies don't have magic or wings, all they have left to work with is their bodies. The earth is literally all they have. I don't see how that can be considered magic.

Fuck it, I'm tired and pissed off now. I'll finish later.

*Summons rat swarm*
:twilightblush: not hard at all.

shirotora
Group Admin

1205485 You know, I've read stories where magic worked by imagining what you want and POOF it happens. I have a problem with this. If magic were this easy, every unicorn would be as powerful as Twilight and never have to study. Yes, this magic is complex. That's why there is entire universitys dedicated to it.

I'm not even going to acnowlege the questions lake who made it and what does it taste like. Those questions are pointless. Because I'm on my phone, I'll be answering in several posts.

shirotora
Group Admin

First, with how incredibly different different spells can be, do you really believe that one kind of energy can do all that? The transformation step is not pointless. It makes the energy more suited to your needs. It also explains why some are better with one kind of magic than another. You're making this far more complicated than it is. It's really nothing more than picking a tool for a job.

As for why the different kinds of energy are not interchangable, that should be obvious. would you try cutting down a tree with a drill? Would you try teleporting with the eratic nature magic? No, and no

shirotora
Group Admin

The schools of magic are called schools because that's where you to learn how to use it. They're seperated by the type of energy used because that is what you go to the schools to learn. would you go to a medical school to learn how to use carpentry tools?

Out of the long list of questions in those three paragraphs, only one is relevent. It is possible to find new kinds of energy, but it can be dangerous. some kinds of magic are unstable and can react in unknown ways. Others are just useless. Although some are useful.

shirotora
Group Admin

Nature is not shaminism. Shaminism is the manipulation of the natural environment through spirits of nature. Arcane nature magic manipulates the four basic elements. Shaminism can controle plands and animals, Nature magic can create ice in the desert.

The reason energy magic can be shifted to a different kind of energyis because the four types are almost exactly the same. It's kind of like an adjustible wrench.

shirotora
Group Admin

Nature magic doesn't use a spell matrix like the others and thus isn't a spell. A spell is a structured system, this is not. this is why it's easier than the others.

It's an emotion based magic, so yes, if you're mad at the time it will act differently than if you're happy. being devoid of emotion is like trying to start a fire with no fuel. Emotion is neccessary for this school.

When I say "become one with the element" I mean the take on atributes of the element. Like this

shirotora
Group Admin

The hell is that? I didn't see a reference for such a thing.

You X-class spells? Twilight referenced them in the story. Its a spell that relies on a certain wavelength of mana that one is born with. Like Debby,s wings or Aden's tech-meld.

The reason rain is a part of air element is because rain is made by air currents and pressure.

They mention earth ponies have magic in the show. They say it helps plants grow and such. Moving earth around isn't canon though.

Y U GUISE ARGUE LYK MARRIED COUPLE?!

Seriously, both of you, calm your tits and find a middle ground.

Wait, shit. Unstoppable force (Journey) is meeting immovable object (Shiro) here. Oh dear, well, one of you have to back down. 'And it ain't gonna be me' you both say.

I need to defrag my brain.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

What's even worse? Turning someone into this guy.

I have no problem with different types of magic. One of my favorite authors is Brandon Sanderson. In his Mistborn trilogy, he has three in the books. One is enough, but what made me like it so much was that it was simple and yet elegantly executed. It explained only the most basic rules and left the reader to fill in the gaps on his or her own.

That's a piece of my issue here. If I came off as condescending, I apologize, but I'm trying to figure out this system is mapped out. The show doesn't touch upon the rules very much, but what it does have is simple to understand. There is magic. Everyone can use it, putting aside to what degree. It's vague, I will admit. However, everything starts off as vague. To use an analogy, it's like getting a degree. That tells you nothing. A degree in the Fine Arts? Culinary? History? That's the important stuff. You start with a vague idea, and the lower levels, the important levels, are what gets the gritty details.

As for taste, I don't see any practical use for the knowledge, but as strange as it sounds at face value, I wasn't joking. I'm not funny enough to joke, and if I do, I assure you it's an accident. Since you're assigning magic to nearly everything, I was speaking about rainbows in particular. It's liquid refracted light. That's either some type of science, or magic, and considering Pinkie said it was spicy, surprising since she eats hot sauce like it ain't no thing, it's something I am curious about.

As for importance, people built schools for them. Obviously it is of some importance. If it was just magic and people learned to use it over time, I can accept that as a rational and logical conclusion. But now there are entire schools and divisions of energy. That's a lot of... magical science? Yeah, I'll go with that. The very use of magic and magical energies depends on these schools. How is it superfluous?

As for the energies, I should rephrase. In theory and practice, it makes sense and it works, but I don't see why it's there from a structural standpoint. I'm going outside story and focusing on its basic structure. To rewrite, this:

Gather Mana --- Transform Mana --- Use Mana
Gather Mana --- Transform Mana --- Release Mana --- Gather Mana --- Transform Mana --- Use Mana

It's all energy, and I don't see why that energy can't be transferable to everything. It seems like an unnecessary step that severs no purpose. Suppose a foal wants to set a tree on fire. Suppose that for some odd reason, he conjures water magic. Realizing his mistake, he lets it go and tries again but conjures wind magic on accident. He does the same and gets earth. Finally he gets fire.

What I am getting at is that the transformation step doesn't seem to hold any usefulness or consequence. Given the open nature of different magics, is it possible to get the wrong one? If so, can you let go of magic when you got the wrong one? If not, what purpose does it have? Using that same logic, a power drill and a power saw both use electricity, as does my microwave. What I am getting at is I do not understand the functionality of this step.

As for why the different kinds of energy are not interchangable, that should be obvious. would you try cutting down a tree with a drill? Would you try teleporting with the eratic nature magic? No, and no

That still doesn't answer the question. What this answers is why you can't use one type of magic to fuel a spell from another branch. What I am asking is why can't they be transformed into another? If there was some type of fundamental law that prevents backwards of lateral compatibility, that would make sense. For instance, firing a bullet from a gun. You can't refire a spent bullet. Of course, you could melt it down into another bullet, but that takes far too much time and effort, and therefore not desired. If some type of law were officially recognized, I would have no problem. You haven't given a reason why, only stated that it is not, I am wondering what that reason is. Yes, you said that it takes energy to revert it back into base mana, but can't it be perfected by some means? Or perhaps is there a required magical offering threshold that must be passed in order to do so? If so, can stronger unicorns get past it without any problem?

Out of the long list of questions in those three paragraphs, only one is relevent.

I guess my issue comes from that you make finding new magic sound easy. If there are schools, that means there is research. Rather than mess with the finer details, a better statement would have been: "These are the known schools:" or something similar to that. That provides the details that there are schools to study from, and others to learn, but doing so is difficult. Of course, you could become a professor or something, but no one want to read or write a story about that. In order to answer those questions, considerable boredom is required, thus that line of thought kills itself.

Nature is not shaminism.

That's why you need descriptions, dude. Without something to expand my thoughts on, I am forced to use preconceived knowledge. If you want me to think something, I need to you to lead me first. Remember my own posts?

8. Magical Gear

8.1 Intro
Feeling brave tonight? How brave? Swords and sorcery, monsters and magic. It’s the primary fruit of any fantasy setting anywhere. Magic in of itself is often construed to only have offense uses: your usual fireball, magic missile, and lightning spells are common for every magical setting. Why stop there? There’s plenty to manipulate, and not just for destruction.

8.2 Spell Types
Spells are often divided into offensive, defensive, and certain types of buffs or debuffs for armor, weapons, and miscellaneous items.
Offensive - Any spell that has the intent to harm or hinder foes in some manner or another. Such magic can be anything from destructive spells, using items enchanted with incendiary or degradation magic, light spells used to blind enemies, or magic that drains or saps the strength of enemies
Defensive - Any spell that prevents harm, damage, or some type of negative affliction. Basic barriers that prevent locomotion are the most common, but that can be expanded into offensive shells that expand and crush enemies against obstacles.
Buff - Any spell cast to gain a specific temporary benefit on a person or item. This can be increased strength, resistance to poison, or increased mental acuity.
Debuff - Any spell cast to decrease an enemy or item’s advantage. This can be decreased strength, resistance to poison, or decreased mental acuity.

The numbers and bullet points are not to just make it look pretty and official, it's to provide a clear, concise train of thought. If there aren't any descriptions of a followable trail, it makes understanding what you want to convey difficult.

You X-class spells? Twilight referenced them in the story. Its a spell that relies on a certain wavelength of mana that one is born with. Like Debby,s wings or Aden's tech-meld.

Again, it is necessary to establish such facts. I had long forgotten such a thing was actually a thing. It's necessary to collect such facts and put them all together, much like the Spell Difficulty in my segment. I only outline the basic facts and let the reader interpret the difficulty of additional spells to their own internal scales. For instance, Levitation is difficult and proportional to mass. Twilight can lift a rook full of books with little trouble, but an Ursa Minor almost causes her to pass out. Despite her skill in magic, she cannot match Rarity's level of dexterity in that exact same art.

And what are wavelengths? I've seen emotions for energies, mana, and different schools, but what are wavelengths?

The reason rain is a part of air element is because rain is made by air currents and pressure.

Rainstorms use currents and pressure, but rain is just water.

They mention earth ponies have magic in the show.

I believe Lauren's words were:
"Though they lack the ability to consciously cast spells like unicorns or to fly and walk on clouds like Pegasi, their connection to nature makes them "just as necessary" as and "perhaps more important" than the other ponies."

Even in Heart's Warming Eve, it didn't say they had magic, just a "connection to the earth." Possibly interpreted as magic, but unless officially stated, is not the same.
"The Earth ponies' connection to the land and animals manifests in various ways. Chiefly, it's expressed in Hearth's Warming Eve where it's stated in the titular holiday's pageant that food can only be grown by the Earth ponies."

shirotora
Group Admin

1209214 I'll admit, I'm not the best at describing this, and perhaps making the energy re-moldable would be fine. Really, I'm just trying to male sure all those writing a story in this 'verse is using the same magic. It's a tool for the writer not the reader. I'm mpre than willing to make changes. If you have an idea to make this better, by all means, write it out and we'll see what we can do.

1208944 We're not argueing, we're debating... en mass.

(I should be ashamed, but I,m not)

Journeyman
Group Contributor

I'm the immovable force. >:(

shirotora
Group Admin

1211031 What happens if two immovable forces meet?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

American politics.

1209214 are you callin' me a rat? all i do is create them outta pure magic.

1209358 Yes, while hiding behind your Korean nuclear warheads with enough power to make a small firework show.

1206299 What will we do with a drunken whaler...

1211031 Immovable force = 2 word fuck-up. if it ain't doing something then it's not a force. If it is, it isn't immovable

LEARN CHO SHIT SON! Also, GLaDOS didn't like that.

shirotora
Group Admin

1215607 Really? The sun doesn't move, but it's doing a whole lot.

1215596 *pulls out crossbow* oh, i've a few ideas...
(so many disHonored fans here!)

1215710 The galaxy moves, ergo so does everything in it.

*Pulls out rusty cleaver*
So do I. Hehe.

Also, the Immovable Object and Unstoppable Force is BS anyway since they cannot co-exist.

shirotora
Group Admin

1232276 That's why it's hypothetical:ajsmug:

1232270 put... that... down.
now.

He said, nope. Then hung up on me, bastard.

ok this has been bugging me since I considered joining this.

What would bardic magic fall under?[magic that uses music as a method of control and casting]

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Under an arcane subclass. Traditionally bards tend to be a "jack of all trades" and thus cherry pick little bits of magic from classes, usually arcane. That's why you often see spells like cure light wounds in D&D bards. However, if you still wish to go with bards in a strictly D&D sense, you'd also need to incorporate their ability to channel magic through music and vocal spells.

I've done my own little bit on this regard. While not strictly targeted at bards, I blanket most of the usual spell under the sorcery subclass. If it's something you want to develop further, go right ahead.

I'm fond of Tandem the Spoony myself.

3684252 I originally developed Kngihtmare as the type of bard who sings various songs for lasting effects that mix attack and defense. Such as, for example, a big, booming orchestral piece that amplifies the speed of friends and allies while generting powerful concussive blasts across the battlefield. Obviouly that's rather powerful, possibly edging into OP but that's why I was ondering if bardic magic has already been planned out in the ItB-verse

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33