Into the Black 323 members · 4 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27

Simply put, I have no idea what this is about and don't feel like wading through 51 Chapters just to catch up straight away so could somepony post up a summary of all the relevant information regarding the setting.

I'm considering working on a story crossing this setting with my own Frontier-verse (FTL for the titular Frontier involves 'pushing out' of the universe so a glitch sending them into another universe isn't far fetched) but I want to know what I'm dealing with first.

I will add info from other posts to this first one so other newcomers have a quick refferance guide available.

No. Just read it. Totally worth the time. Also, a summary would be very long

Can't really cross the settings without knowing the world ya know? A summary would take away from the experience and the immersion this universe has to offer. Reading it would be the best part anyway.

shirotora
Group Admin

It may be 51 chapters, but the chapters are short. Most are less than 2500 words.

One chapter in and it seems the Alliance is lagging in terms of tech compared to the Frontier-Verse in a few areas at least.

Second Chapter, adepts seem anagolous to psychic power wielders from other sci-fi.

If so, the Alliance will freak when the Frontier-verse counterparts appear...

Firearms seem equally advanced, though the marines seem poorly equiped compared to the Frontier-verse.

1087074 not sure how your series works but in general marines arn't given all there equipment at once, usualy they are given what is considered standard equipment, or what is required for the mission, other then that they usaly need to ask for it from a req officer.

anyway your coming across as a little negative about the whole thing. rather concerning your FTL drives allow you to push through the universe general FTL systems call for entering a seperate type of space already present within our universe. to punch through a universe would require sizable amounts of energy, like super nova class amounts.

In the Frontier-verse soldiers are given power armour as standard issue equipment since jest about everything they encounter is either faster, stronger or more resilient then a regular human. They also provide enclosed environments in case of emergancy EVA or protection from chemical and biological weapons.

You are right though, Void travel has huge energy requirements which is one of the reasons so few species even considered it. The reason humans chose it is because in the Frontier-verse HyperSpace has a much higher speed of light, which has the side effect of red shifting everything. This basically makes travelling through HyperSpace like looking at the screen of a Virtual Boy for hours, giving all the travellers migraines.

Void travel avoids that by creating a localized field of Normal Space around the ship as they Push Out, ride the currents of the Void, then Push In at thier destination. The energy requirements result in scout vessels relying on larger motherships to transport them to a central hub where they fan out and explore the local systems.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

1087181>>1090138
God damn it, I'll have to do engine with vehicles now, don't I?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

How does the FTL drives work?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

It takes me about two days for each section, and weapons are right after nanites. Vehicles are after weapons. You'll find out in about five days.

Something I've noticed just 16 chapters in;

Into the Black's Adepts seem to favour flashy spells for all forms of attack.

Contrast the Frontier-verse's Psy-Weavers who will dismantle enemy troops weapons with a flick of the wrist or pop a blood vessel in the soldier's brain with a thought, causing the enemy to hemorage to death. Flashiness only enters the scene in Frontier when the Psy-Weaver wants to break the enemy's moral or is facing another Psy-Weaver.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Dratali are ineligant in execution. No grace at all. They prefer brute borce attacks rather than perfecting their skill.

Of course, that would reveal their idiocy. One thing I detest about the Dratali concept is their motivation. They survive, and that's their reason to die? Bull.

To be fair, some religious cults here on Earth have thrived with even more flimsy concepts.

That's one thing I've always made a point to try and consider when creating a race, 'Ok I want them to act a certain way... so why would they act that way?'

Asking myself that turned the Riliakon from a generic warrior race out to conquer their neighbours because 'yay fighting' into reptilian amazons with a complex social structure based on earning breeding rights through battle prowess, a feudal system government based on the strong leading the weak, and a polytheistic religion that leads to the human protagonist being mistaken for the God of Justice and Rebirth. The motivation for starting what became the 'First Contact War' changed to 'declare war on someone else or fight a civil war for the sake of deciding who gets first dibs on the males.'

EDIT: The protagonist being mistaken for a God is due to a trait of his fighter. It has wings that perform a very important function on a space craft, they're heat sinks. In space they glow red from the heat but in the atmosphere the heat evaporates the moisture in the air leaving long trails of steam. Vun'Rel is traditionally thought to have wings of fire that produce steam in the Riliakon homeworld's tropical atmosphere.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Think about it. It doesn't make sense. Their entire race survives the destruction of their homeworld. How lucky do you have to be? 'Save a goddamn lepruchan and now he owes you big' lucky. EVERYONE believes this. We've seen only one defector. Given the fact that the ONLY source of knowledge comes from that single defector. That implies that no other Dratali even comtemplated the chance to defect. An entire species, yet only one defector?

I'm not buying it.

1091643 either the entire Dratali species is highly delusional by nature or something else was pulling the strings behind the scenes and the Dratali are highly susceptable to mind-control.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

It wasn't hard to catch the reference to another chaos duche. What's her face.

1092867 Turmoil, but then it seems like she was being manipulated as well.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Cthulhu was behind everything the whole time.

1095006 Or the Dnyarri. Never trust an amphibian.

Heres something fun I'm working on; comparable lengths for the ships from the Frontier-verse.

Currently I only have a few sorted out;
Destroyer/Scout: roughly 30 meters to 100
Corvette: 200 meters to 400
Cruiser: 500 to 700 meters
Battle Cruiser: 1000 to 3000 meters
Dreadnaught: roughly 5000 meters
Leviathen: roughly 15,000 meters
Frontier: roughly 200,000 meters

Fun facts
Destroyers/Scouts despite thier larger size have comparable armaments to an Ax Fighter. The main advantage they have is built-in FTL, multiple crew (allowing for localised cyber-warfare and Psy-Weaver offence/defencive measures) and six turreted Variable Speed Laser cannons (that can fire either constant beams to rip through other ships or rapid pulse lasers for point defence) in addition to two fire-linked particle cannons. The designation is changed from Destroyer to Scout after the First Contact War.

The Frontier is not only armed to the teeth, acts as a colony ship, and has go-anywhere FTL capability but also acts as a carrier for fighters, ADFs (Autonomous Defence Fighters) and every other ship size in that list.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Outta my depth here. I'm not familiar with the Frontier verse.

That's because I'm the creator of the Frontier-verse and have yet to officially publish anything on the setting.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

If you want, you can borrow some of the shit I've written in my Lab threads.

I'll look but I've got most things covered.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 27